House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benzlife

World Cup - Predicitions

Ok, just a week to go until England's first game. Rio's on his way home, most of our team are in a poor run of form, so they're fairly unlikely to win it.

So two questions:

1) How far will England go?

2) Who will win the tournament?

For what it's worth, I think England will lose to Germany in the second round, and that Spain will beat Brazil in the final.

Guest KingCharles1st

Capello will get a blowie from Posh everyday until he relents and makes "Her David" Captain

I have a feeling we'll only draw v USA, the press will be the usual 'unexpected' doom and gloom. But, we will get through the group and lose in the last 8, probably on penalties. Boring I know.

Brazil's group is the most interesting and there is a possibilty that they don't win it, playing Portugal last. Their first game is v N Korea and if the great leader's team become whipping boys, goal difference may be important if there are a few draws. Then, it would likely be Spain v Brazil in a R16 match. Cracking, Grommit.

I think Holland are a good bet if they can avoid their usual in-fighting. Italy aren't being tipped by many either.

I see Capello is getting his excuses wheeled out already. :rolleyes:

England 'Curse'

Curse ? Really ? A player who has almost constant injury problems gets injured again ? Holy shock horror !!

It will happen to every team. No big deal. A good team will get over it. To blame it on a curse is pretty poor from Capello IMO. Been fairly impressed with him so far - but this is just lame.

As for who is going to win it ? Who are the bookies saying. That would be my bet. I just hope it is exciting with lots of goals. The cooler temperatures should hopefully help this.

England usually have a ranking that would put them in the region of the quarter finals, which seems about right this time too. Overseas England are seen as a much better team than they are at home. Even without Rio there's a defence as good as most, Fat Lamps scores bags of goals and gives loads of assists, Gerrard on form would walk into any top team, Milner's threatening to get truly great at some point, Rooney's a world class striker, and the supporting cast includes decent players like Barry, Lennon, Defoe and 'rarely has a bad game' Crouchie who are at least a bit dangerous on their day.

Only Spain I would say are head and shoulders better than England this time so you never know.

England usually have a ranking that would put them in the region of the quarter finals, which seems about right this time too. Overseas England are seen as a much better team than they are at home. Even without Rio there's a defence as good as most, Fat Lamps scores bags of goals and gives loads of assists, Gerrard on form would walk into any top team, Milner's threatening to get truly great at some point, Rooney's a world class striker, and the supporting cast includes decent players like Barry, Lennon, Defoe and 'rarely has a bad game' Crouchie who are at least a bit dangerous on their day.

Only Spain I would say are head and shoulders better than England this time so you never know.

I think you have to include Brazil with Spain. Whilst less talented than their forebears they have a team ethic unlike past Brazil yet are still technically gifted - think of the silky Lucio in defence for a 'typical' modern brazilian. I would probably put England in the next tier along with Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy,and Argentina - the trouble being we seem to shrink in big games whilst the other in the group raise their games.

I think you have to include Brazil with Spain. Whilst less talented than their forebears they have a team ethic unlike past Brazil yet are still technically gifted - think of the silky Lucio in defence for a 'typical' modern brazilian. I would probably put England in the next tier along with Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy,and Argentina - the trouble being we seem to shrink in big games whilst the other in the group raise their games.

The problem with England is obvious - their technical skills are not on the same level as other teams. They of course may have other skills where they rise above other nations. However simple class technical ability will always be the most important thing IMO. This is why teams who are technically good tend to win these things. Of course there are the odd exceptions - as there are in everything.

We will lose to Germany in the last 16 (if one of Germany or England comes second in their group) or to France in the quarter finals.

My nightmare scenario - Brazil v France in the final. Either France win - a nightmare as they obviously shouldn't be there, or Brazil win on the back of an amazing performance by Robinho and Elano, playing the sort of football they could never be arsed with when they were playing for my team, Man City.

I have a feeling we'll only draw v USA, the press will be the usual 'unexpected' doom and gloom. But, we will get through the group and lose in the last 8, probably on penalties. Boring I know.

Brazil's group is the most interesting and there is a possibilty that they don't win it, playing Portugal last. Their first game is v N Korea and if the great leader's team become whipping boys, goal difference may be important if there are a few draws. Then, it would likely be Spain v Brazil in a R16 match. Cracking, Grommit.

I think Holland are a good bet if they can avoid their usual in-fighting. Italy aren't being tipped by many either.

Brazil won't make it through.. the cold weather won't suit their style.

NZ to choke again next year, especially because of the pressure of hosting the event. South Africa to make it two in a row.

The problem with England is obvious - their technical skills are not on the same level as other teams. They of course may have other skills where they rise above other nations. However simple class technical ability will always be the most important thing IMO. This is why teams who are technically good tend to win these things. Of course there are the odd exceptions - as there are in everything.

I disagree. I think we have bags of technical skills and more than enough to win it.

But we'll lose for the same reason we always do: mentality.

Just watch a team like Spain or Brazil run rings around us. After they hold on to the ball for ages, whenever we get we'll squander it with the English "hoof it and see" type long ball which is basically flipping a coin.

Then our heads will get down and we'll get obliterated.

These players are great at club level and can decimate anyone. But put them together and the English mentality returns.

We are a nation of pessimists, we are risk averse. You cannot win silverware if you are risk averse. We always take the easy option whether that is booting it into the stands or booting it up front.

If I were the manager, I would issue a fine each time someone booted the ball. No other country does it but we seem to want to recreate Division 4 for some reason.

I disagree. I think we have bags of technical skills and more than enough to win it.

Just watch a team like Spain or Brazil run rings around us. After they hold on to the ball for ages, whenever we get we'll squander it with the English "hoof it and see" type long ball which is basically flipping a coin.

These players are great at club level and can decimate anyone. But put them together and the English mentality returns.

We are a nation of pessimists, we are risk averse. You cannot win silverware if you are risk averse. We always take the easy option whether that is booting it into the stands or booting it up front.

If I were the manager, I would issue a fine each time someone booted the ball. No other country does it but we seem to want to recreate Division 4 for some reason.

As a team, I don't think we have the skills..a couple of individuals, possibly... but its only now, that things are starting to happen, by the introduction of Futsal, and our academies are only now starting to bring in the skills element - thanks to the foreign influence into our club game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futsal. This is why the South Americans are so good...as kids, they play on confined areas with small balls. This develops their skills from a very early age. The Ajax & Barca development systems should be adopted by every club in our land.

The English have always believed that "passion" will win the day..er, no it won't...You need the skill, and England have never really had it in abundance. How many players in this England team have played abroad? Why aren't English players wanted abroad?

I can tell you who won't win the world cup, Scotland, but they'll still be skipping around when we eventually lose.

I have no idea who'll win it, Argentina have a good shoe in! I think we'll make the semis.

Blessing in disguise that Rio is out, Ledley is much better than him right now. I don't think we'll win it. One of Spain, Brazil or Argentina will. Hopefully I'm wrong.

There's also plenty of English players who would be wanted abroad for their skills. But generally, they don't travel as well because they never had to (players in Brazil had to move to earn the money, players from Portugal the same, players from Holland the same). Most Italians play in Serie A because they didn't have to move anywhere for money or play in a bigger league. They've won the World Cup plenty of times. Most Spanish players play in Spain for the same reasons, they've never won the World Cup.

Ok, just a week to go until England's first game. Rio's on his way home, most of our team are in a poor run of form, so they're fairly unlikely to win it.

So two questions:

1) How far will England go?

2) Who will win the tournament?

For what it's worth, I think England will lose to Germany in the second round, and that Spain will beat Brazil in the final.

England will win the World Cup.

I would totally disagree with the bit in bold. I also imagine if you asked top football managers out there they would say exactly the same. On basic technical skills - there is a huge gulf between players for countries like Italy/Spain/Holland/Brazil compared to England. On basic technical skills it is men against boys.

Take Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney for example. Their skill levels are poor compared to many players in the above mentioned countries. You will see random people playing 5 a sides at your local pitches who have better close control. Of course those above make up for it with their power, drive and aggresion. However when it comes to the big tournaments and getting result after result - the technical skills come to the fore. With the rare exception of course.

Totally agree about the mentality aspect. It is very strange because the English players talk the right attitude - I just don't think they really believe it. Unlike the Germans etc..

I would totally disagree with the bit in bold. I also imagine if you asked top football managers out there they would say exactly the same. On basic technical skills - there is a huge gulf between players for countries like Italy/Spain/Holland/Brazil compared to England. On basic technical skills it is men against boys.

Take Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney for example. Their skill levels are poor compared to many players in the above mentioned countries. You will see random people playing 5 a sides at your local pitches who have better close control. Of course those above make up for it with their power, drive and aggresion. However when it comes to the big tournaments and getting result after result - the technical skills come to the fore. With the rare exception of course.

Totally agree about the mentality aspect. It is very strange because the English players talk the right attitude - I just don't think they really believe it. Unlike the Germans etc..

Totally agree...I've always believed that when an English player has stepped off a plane to join his new foreign club (very rare I know), that that experience instantly makes him a better player..He been willing to open his eyes to a whole new culture, which many players over here are too scared to do..

Totally agree...I've always believed that when an English player has stepped off a plane to join his new foreign club (very rare I know), that that experience instantly makes him a better player..He been willing to open his eyes to a whole new culture, which many players over here are too scared to do..

Like a culture where his sport is actually the #1 priority in their life. For many English (British) players it doesn't appear that way.

The skills thing is improving though. Took them long enough to work it out. In Jockland they only play 5's or 7's up to about 12/13 year old now. When I was at school it was 11 a side on a full size pitch when you were 5 years old !! Totally mental.

Like a culture where his sport is actually the #1 priority in their life. For many English (British) players it doesn't appear that way.

The skills thing is improving though. Took them long enough to work it out. In Jockland they only play 5's or 7's up to about 12/13 year old now. When I was at school it was 11 a side on a full size pitch when you were 5 years old !! Totally mental.

I think our drinking culture certainly doesn't help our youngsters, neither does the money aspect. Many think that you can get plastered a couple of times a week and still be a professional footballer..

Here's a couple of interesting articles about the Ajax & Barca academies..

La Cantera

Ajax De Toekomst

I think the pitches at my primary school were slightly smaller than regular pitches, but I remember playing under 12s on full-size pitches. How does this help player development?

I think Spain could well be entering a "golden age"...they have enough skillful, brilliant individuals with a good mixture of players who play in Spain as well as around Europe..

Guest theboltonfury

I predict that by the end of June, Ian Wright will have been blown to bits in a drive-by.

Is there a bigger ***** alive on this earth?

As a team, I don't think we have the skills..a couple of individuals, possibly... but its only now, that things are starting to happen, by the introduction of Futsal, and our academies are only now starting to bring in the skills element - thanks to the foreign influence into our club game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futsal. This is why the South Americans are so good...as kids, they play on confined areas with small balls. This develops their skills from a very early age. The Ajax & Barca development systems should be adopted by every club in our land.

The English have always believed that "passion" will win the day..er, no it won't...You need the skill, and England have never really had it in abundance. How many players in this England team have played abroad? Why aren't English players wanted abroad?

Take the point but what about climate and conditions? Futsal is all very well playing on a hard pitch when it sunny, but 99.99999% of football played in this country takes place on a muddy pitch in the rain. Twinkletoes is going to get tackled by a puddle. Hoofing it up makes sense, 4-4 ******ing 2. Just kidding, but there is a bit of a disjoint here, it really is only elite football that gets played in anything like conditions where that level of skill is even useful. Even 2nd division stuff is pretty much people running around a bog kicking each other and lets not get started on Scottish "football". They invented the passing game you know... well so would you in that kind of weather.