House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Golden Trough Awards Maybe No Longer Necessary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7805030/Eric-Pickles-pledges-to-cut-bloated-council-pay.html

Eric Pickles pledges to cut 'bloated' council pay
The Cabinet minister who oversees councils has launched an outspoken attack on the “non-jobs” and “bloated salaries” that have become commonplace in many local authorities.
.../
A recent study found that 1,726 council workers received more than £100,000. The highest paid official was in Cornwall, where one received £400,000 to £410,000.
..../
Last night, the Local Government Association said that the salaries were justified.

So far, so very good. Time the 100k plus merchants were reigned in. No more community sexual equality officers on 120k or youth coordinators on 90k. It has always been my suspicion that most of the LA "jobs" were only open to relatives or friends of existing office holders--Pickles will hopefully unearth a hotbed of seething corruption. Remember the tart in Norfolk being paid 250k for leading a "large" team for the LA? Disgusting and no better than our Banksters.

Edited by Realistbear

they'll go for a freeze.

no sackings or cuts.

they never do.

course, the headline toppers conceal the chains of underlings leading up to the top. 120K top, 100K for 5 assistance, 90K for 25 sub managers, 80K for 150 middle admins......

they'll go for a freeze.

no sackings or cuts.

they never do.

course, the headline toppers conceal the chains of underlings leading up to the top. 120K top, 100K for 5 assistance, 90K for 25 sub managers, 80K for 150 middle admins......

Those "underlings" would be the WAGS, cousins, mates etc.

Let us not forget the hundreds of Quangoes created under Nulabour--probably a few thousand oinkers there helping themselves to the public trough:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/supportservices/7804445/Three-jailed-for-bribes-on-1.3m-of-education-quango-contracts.html

Three jailed for bribes on £1.3m of education quango contracts
Three people have been jailed for their role in bribery and money laundering involving £1.3m of public money belonging to Britain's biggest quango.

I work in local government (front line I may add). There is a chap whose job title is corporate communications officer whose sole purpose is to send one email a week to all staff informing them of 'stuff'.

This chap's pay scale is P04, which at the top end is roughly £35k a year. Meanwhile my post only attracts a P01 grade for which I had to complete 5 years training not including an extra post qualification which to took 18 months to complete for which I am not rewarded financially, but the council is. I have also worked over a month in overtime already this year for which I have not been paid a penny.

My employer has also seen fit to reduce my mileage allowance from 60p a mile to 40p a mile, this will have a net saving for the council of £150k per annum. What it will do is that all staff in my department will withdraw the use of our personal vehicles for council business when the new mileage rate comes into force. This will cause chaos to the service and ultimately be costly.

A pay freeze or cuts in allowances is not what is needed but job cuts made in the right places.

It's not all snouts in the trough here guys.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

I work in local government (front line I may add). There is a chap whose job title is corporate communications officer whose sole purpose is to send one email a week to all staff informing them of 'stuff'.

This chap's pay scale is P04, which at the top end is roughly £35k a year. Meanwhile my post only attracts a P01 grade for which I had to complete 5 years training not including an extra post qualification which to took 18 months to complete for which I am not rewarded financially, but the council is. I have also worked over a month in overtime already this year for which I have not been paid a penny.

A pay freeze or cuts in allowances is not what is needed but job cuts made in the right places.

Suspect this sort of thing is going on across the board, hence why delivered services don't equate to overll budgets. About time many public sector employeees grew some balls and let the taxpayer know what is going on - if only to protect their own jobs. However I do realise that the management structure and the previous government have connived to supprress this sort of information and punish whistleblowing as that is why this situation has been allowed to fester.

My employer has also seen fit to reduce my mileage allowance from 60p a mile to 40p a mile, this will have a net saving for the council of £150k per annum. What it will do is that all staff in my department will withdraw the use of our personal vehicles for council business when the new mileage rate comes into force. This will cause chaos to the service and ultimately be costly.

I think that's well understood by most reasonable people. It's jobs like the one you highlight that need to be addressed.

I dare say some of the £150k a year jobs are necessary and reasonable too. It's the remuneration that isn't.

you should be paying tax on your mileage allowance above 40p

@ 40p you will pay no tax.

you should be paying tax on your mileage allowance above 40p

@ 40p you will pay no tax.

60p with tax is still more than 40p though?

60p with tax is still more than 40p though?

Yes

We also have a new mileage claim form which now must include details of every postcode you have visited. For example if you are doing a recce of an area you need to put every single postcode that has been visited so 'they can check' you have not put in a fraudulent claim. The net result is that a claim now takes the best part of a day per month to complete.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

Let us not forget the hundreds of Quangoes created under Nulabour--probably a few thousand oinkers there helping themselves to the public trough:

http://www.telegraph...-contracts.html

Three jailed for bribes on £1.3m of education quango contracts
Three people have been jailed for their role in bribery and money laundering involving £1.3m of public money belonging to Britain's biggest quango.

The QUANGOs are full of crooks, check this one out:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4139064.Quango_at_centre_of_fraud_quiz/

The problem is they develop a sense of entitlement that goes beyond what is legal.  So we have outright fraud in many cases, and in others we have so called "Chief Execs"  (they are nothing of the sort) and other higher ranking QUANGOCrats awarding themselves huge pay rises from the public purse.  Frankly if any public sector workers receives more than £150k, I would consider that to be some sort of institutionalised fraud against the taxpayer. Networks of Labour chums awarding their Labour chums huge dollops from the public purse. 

There is an offence called malfeasance in a public office - the Chinese execute them, perhaps we could be so bold as to bring a criminal case.

60p a mile is a bit rich.

The problem is that there is institutionalised corruption in many of our councils. Nepotism and old boy networks. It will be hard for central government to break them up because it is so ingrained. Funny thing is that many in the UK think government corruption is only epidemic in Greece and Spain etc.

The 250k salary for a council boss in East Anglia and 400k for the one cited in the OP is just the tip of the iceberg. These people are way overpaid and its more than just a few getting those levels of pay. No one should be paid more than the PM to run a district or country council.

Here's a prediction:

No-one who works for Cornwall Council earns 400k or more. This is a Telegraph story with no source for the original data. My guess is it's the Taxpayer's Alliance (and there's a VI if ever there was one) report, which identified one person who worked for Cornwall council who once got 400k including a pay-off when he left his job

This is just more silly public sector bashing, and it really does obscure any sensible debate about what people should be paid.

This is just more silly public sector bashing, and it really does obscure any sensible debate about what people should be paid.

Some public sector salaries went up a lot over the last 10 years. It is not altogether unreasonable to ask what the taxpayer gets in return, and it seems perfectly sensible to start at the top?

Some public sector salaries went up a lot over the last 10 years. It is not altogether unreasonable to ask what the taxpayer gets in return, and it seems perfectly sensible to start at the top?

That's what I'm saying. There's a sensible debate to be had

Rants about people earning 400k that are fuelled only by the wet dreams of the TPA don't help with that.

My local rag (READER) publishes a story this week about the 180k (basic plus perks of unknown quantity) the local NHS chief admin is getting while nurses and other useful staff face the axe due to cuts. His position and mega salary are presumably safe.

The local Brighton council bosses are all on well over 120k each. No shame money-wise around here-get what you can and remain pro gay, pro BTL and anti-free speech and you will do well in Brighton. Someone tried to organise an alternative to Gay Pride day and call it Hetero Humility day and they said not a chance.

Treat ALL with respect I say--no matter what personal choices you elect to follow and keep to yourself unless asked.

My employer has also seen fit to reduce my mileage allowance from 60p a mile to 40p a mile, this will have a net saving for the council of £150k per annum.

Blinking 'eck you do a lot of miles.

:)

So who would you cut? the dinner ladies? The social services staff?

All the front line staff can stay imo... but everyone else has to do rock paper scissors for their job.

Yes

We also have a new mileage claim form which now must include details of every postcode you have visited. For example if you are doing a recce of an area you need to put every single postcode that has been visited so 'they can check' you have not put in a fraudulent claim. The net result is that a claim now takes the best part of a day per month to complete.

40p per mile is standard in the private sector, as is accounting for your moves when out of the office.

I think plenty of people in the civil service are getting a wake up call as to how profitable businesses are run, and that the days of limitless funding are over.

60p a mile is a bit rich.

The problem is that there is institutionalised corruption in many of our councils. Nepotism and old boy networks. It will be hard for central government to break them up because it is so ingrained. Funny thing is that many in the UK think government corruption is only epidemic in Greece and Spain etc.

The 250k salary for a council boss in East Anglia and 400k for the one cited in the OP is just the tip of the iceberg. These people are way overpaid and its more than just a few getting those levels of pay. No one should be paid more than the PM to run a district or country council.

Hardly, do you use your vehicle of work related purposes other than commuting? My job is a statutory duty that the LA has a duty to perform, it is not for me to provide a vehicle that allows the LA to perform that duty, and nor does it say that in my contract. 60p a mile is fair 40 is not, hence why we will no longer be offering our vehicles.

If the LA wants us to perform their statutory duties they have 3 options, revert the mileage to 60p, pay a sum per month to become an essential user (which we are anyhow) then 40p would be acceptable or finally, provide us with 'job' vehicles.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

I totally empathize with your comments.

It appears that if frontline service providers had the power the country could save a fortune whilst at the same time probably improve the services.

Eric Pickles pledges to cut 'bloated' council pay

Ah, the pledges of a politician. Sound as a pound.

Hardly, do you use your vehicle of work related purposes other than commuting? My job is a statutory duty that the LA has a duty to perform, it is not for me to provide a vehicle that allows the LA to perform that duty, and nor does it say that in my contract. 60p a mile is fair 40 is not, hence why we will no longer be offering our vehicles.

If the LA wants us to perform their statutory duties they have 3 options, revert the mileage to 60p, pay a sum per month to become an essential user (which we are anyhow) then 40p would be acceptable or finally, provide us with 'job' vehicles.

If you think you can do better, I suggest you have a look around at what's being offered outside of the comforting bosom of the state

If you think you can do better, I suggest you have a look around at what's being offered outside of the comforting bosom of the state

I do, a job with less responsibility in the private sector would attract a salary in excess of 40K plus a company vehicle. Perhaps you could try and get a job in my field.............you wouldn't have a chance unless you had the statutory qualification and if you fancy getting that qualification, that would be 5 years, 3 in uni then 2 on the job training. So how does 25K of student debt and a salary of less than 18k for 2 years sound??.............If you fancy it then fill yer boots.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi