House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

Bp, Its Bad

Guest Steve Cook

It looks like the latest strategy of capping is not going well. The aim was to be able to capture about 90% of the oil with it. The latest report on radio 4 this morning is that it is only capturing about 10%. If that's true they're f*cked as this was the last weapon in their arsenal. The only thing left now is to continue with the relief wells to reduce the pressure at the leak. However, these wont be ready till mid August. In the meantime, the cutting of the pipe means that the oil is gushing from the leak even faster than it was previously.

On top of all of the above is the fact of the imminent hurricane season. It is predicted to be a hum-dinger after two relatively quiet seasons. Nobody really knows what effect this will have on the pollution. Either it will break the slick up and make things better. Or it will drive the slick deep inshore and make things far worse.

It looks like the latest strategy of capping is not going well. The aim was to be able to capture about 90% of the oil with it. The latest report on radio 4 this morning is that it is only capturing about 10%.

I believe they still have to shut some valves on the cap. And there was me thinking it was going to like a milk bottle top.

I pressumed the aim of this device was to seal the pipe, not just put a hood over it and try and draw oil up to the surface. Have they discounted the ability to seal the pipe anywhere near the surface? The junk shot and mud injection were attempts to seal the pipe lower down. If the pipe integrity is OK and it can be sealed rather than cutting it why not just crimp it? OK you won't shut off the flow altogether but you would reduce the flow substantially.

If the pipe integrity is OK and it can be sealed rather than cutting it why not just crimp it?

Because if the pressure increase caused by crimping it blows the cap off further down, you're back to square one?

I think its time they put a Daisy Cutter bomb in the bloody things mouth and shut it permanently.

surely they must have had plans in place....the regulator must have allowed this operation and been satisfied all could be controlled with a failure at any point.

Because if the pressure increase caused by crimping it blows the cap off further down, you're back to square one?

Must be, but still more questions, the BOP is at the top, right, so if above is true then if the BOP had worked the pipe would have ruptured elsewhere?

surely they must have had plans in place....the regulator must have allowed this operation and been satisfied all could be controlled with a failure at any point.

The sequence of controls and attempts to shut this thing off is almost exactly the same as the Ixtoc blowout decades earlier. I posted a vid up, it really was quite amazing how similar the set of procedures were considering the time difference and the fact this almost exact situation has been faced before in the Gulf - so obviously no real movement either in control techniques nor regulations.

Personally I feel very sorry for Obama he is getting the blame and the fault is with BP and the previous president bush for allowing oil at any cost. BP have a culture of contracting out which is a practice well used in UK companies. We all know contractors don't give a damn as long as they get paid and British companies must learn that they must take responsibility.

Will this hit shares, it already has and in the short term it's likely to get worse. However, my belief is that such a cash rich company will soon bounce back and be responsible for the next disaster.

This country needs to learn fast, oil is going to run out and we are probably already at peak oil so why are we staking our pensions on such a finite resource.

they need to use a flange to sort this out, im not sure how it should be used but i really like the word and i dont get nearly enough opportunity to use it

Im sure a reticulating spline would help too.

surely, if they can cut the pipe to a neat end, they can add a collar and have a lense like apperture closer on it, bit like the one on the stargate...I know this leaves a hole in the middle

or they could close it with wedge shapes pushed through the collar.

BP have a culture of contracting out which is a practice well used in UK companies. We all know contractors don't give a damn as long as they get paid and British companies must learn that they must take responsibility.

Point taken, but the principal sub-contractor in this case is Halliburton, and the fact that Obama has been loudly bashing BP but not mentioning the all-American business that initially caused the problem smacks of racism to me.

Point taken, but the principal sub-contractor in this case is Halliburton, and the fact that Obama has been loudly bashing BP but not mentioning the all-American business that initially caused the problem smacks of racism to me.

Toyota got the same treatment.

nothing wrong with supporting the home team in my opinion.

Im sure a reticulating spline would help too.

surely, if they can cut the pipe to a neat end, they can add a collar and have a lense like apperture closer on it, bit like the one on the stargate...I know this leaves a hole in the middle

or they could close it with wedge shapes pushed through the collar.

what he said :blink:

Whichever way they jump though they should really cogitate over it because thats a great word too

In the UK you can't climb a ladder at work without having been on a health and safety training course, a ladder awareness course and before filling out an 8 page safety assessment to decide on the right ladder. Apparently it doesn't work like that with drilling oil wells deep under the sea.

I am not convinced that it was an accident

what, like someone put chewing gum in the test tap to see if the vent was open to the sea, before opening the tube and blowing it...very possible.

Guest Steve Cook

what he said  :blink:

Whichever way they jump though they should really cogitate over it because thats a great word too

:lol: You're a funny bugger

No more like part of a bigger agenda

It is odd, the last G20 was for World leaders, this one, today, is for finance people only...course the leaders are all at the Bilderberg meeting in Sitges....

Guest KingCharles1st

they need to use a flange to sort this out, im not sure how it should be used but i really like the word and i dont get nearly enough opportunity to use it

Clunge is the new flange..

Guest KingCharles1st

What they ought to do is this- Further up the pipe, drill a hole and inject a load of superglue type stuff that goes off with contact with oil.

fu-ck me I'm genius. I'm going to prerecord a message and change my voice so it sounds like Steven Hawkings, and then ring up BP and get them to pay loads of money into my bank account before I tell them my solution.

B)

What they ought to do is this- Further up the pipe, drill a hole and inject a load of superglue type stuff that goes off with contact with oil.

fu-ck me I'm genius. I'm going to prerecord a message and change my voice so it sounds like Steven Hawkings, and then ring up BP and get them to pay loads of money into my bank account before I tell them my solution.

B)

ask the Dutch. they fixed some dyke with a finger in a hole IIRC.

International Rescue should be able to fix it. Brains has some kit. Virgil/Gordon Get Thunderbird 2 launched with Thunderbird 3 FAB!