House Price Crash Forum
Smell the Fear

Extension/renovation Costs?

I am looking at buying a semi in Belfast which requires a lot of work. It basically needs to be gutted and I would like to build a large rear/side extension on 1st and 2 floors of approx. 75m2 (around 800 sq ft). This will almost double the size of the house to around 1700-1800 sq ft. There are examples of similar houses in the street with such extensions so planning doesn't seem to be a problem. I would want to add a large kitchen/diner, utility room and wc at ground floor level and a further double bedroom and bathroom on the first floor.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for this in red brick to match the house (period house, not sure when built probably between 1910-1930).

I have come across prices of around £1000/sq.m which seems a bit steep given that I hear that new build can be done for just over half of this price these days.

Also, the rest of the house needs to be refurbished. It probably needs to be stripped back, replastered, rewired, replumbed, new gas central heating system, reroofed. Basically the works. Any idea how much this is likely to set me back?

And finally, how much for a roughly 18x12 ft loft conversion with a rear dormer window and ensuite bathroom with small velux window?

I appreciate it is difficult to be precise but ballpark is all I'm looking for.

My guess is as follows: extension 75 sq m £50k excluding cost of new fitted kitchen, 1 fitted bathroom and 1 fitted shower room/wc (for which I would allow a further £15k)

Refurb work £20k

Loft conversion with bathroom £15-£20k

All advice greatly appreciated!

p.s. how long does planning permission take in Belfast these days for an extension? Longer than 6 months?

Edited by Smell the Fear

I am looking at buying a semi in Belfast which requires a lot of work. It basically needs to be gutted and I would like to build a large rear/side extension on 1st and 2 floors of approx. 75m2 (around 800 sq ft). This will almost double the size of the house to around 1700-1800 sq ft. There are examples of similar houses in the street with such extensions so planning doesn't seem to be a problem. I would want to add a large kitchen/diner, utility room and wc at ground floor level and a further double bedroom and bathroom on the first floor.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for this in red brick to match the house (period house, not sure when built probably between 1910-1930).

I have come across prices of around £1000/sq.m which seems a bit steep given that I hear that new build can be done for just over half of this price these days.

Also, the rest of the house needs to be refurbished. It probably needs to be stripped back, replastered, rewired, replumbed, new gas central heating system, reroofed. Basically the works. Any idea how much this is likely to set me back?

And finally, how much for a roughly 18x12 ft loft conversion with a rear dormer window and ensuite bathroom with small velux window?

My guess is as follows: extension 75 sq m £50k excluding cost of new fitted kitchen, 1 fitted bathroom and 1 fitted shower room/wc (for which I would allow a further £15k)

Refurb work £20k

p.s. how long does planning permission take in Belfast these days for an extension? Longer than 6 months?

I am myself doing something similar and those figures look plausible to me from what I've been quoted for 'similar' work. Depends on what finishes you want to go for, some people want turn key finishes and other people just the bare bones. Don't forget that extra costs these days can be incurred by extra regulations from building control which might not always be obvious at the outset! A lot of regulations exist now are related to saving energy and environmental impact such as insulation and heating systems. Good luck what every route you go down.

Edited by FrustratedFTB

Refurb work £20k

I am no expert on this as we only do new build. However, one thing you need to ckeck out is the following and I am not totally clear on it.

If you have an existing property (say 60 years old), when you sell it it only has to comply with the building control regulations at the time of construction. 60 years ago, there probably were none so no one will ask.

Now, once you convert part of substantaily extend you may have a problem. You may be required to bring the entire house up to current building control standards. This is close to impossible in some cases. I could be wrong on this but chat to your Architect or call Building Control on this.

Another small point. New build is VAT exempt whilst your extension will be (after Jan 2011) 20% more expensive on VAT alone. Extensions themselves are usually 50% more expensive than newbuild, but you own the land so still should be ok. The problem will be knowing where to stop.

I am no expert on this as we only do new build. However, one thing you need to ckeck out is the following and I am not totally clear on it.

If you have an existing property (say 60 years old), when you sell it it only has to comply with the building control regulations at the time of construction. 60 years ago, there probably were none so no one will ask.

Now, once you convert part of substantaily extend you may have a problem. You may be required to bring the entire house up to current building control standards. This is close to impossible in some cases. I could be wrong on this but chat to your Architect or call Building Control on this.

Another small point. New build is VAT exempt whilst your extension will be (after Jan 2011) 20% more expensive on VAT alone. Extensions themselves are usually 50% more expensive than newbuild, but you own the land so still should be ok. The problem will be knowing where to stop.

i am no expert either

but i believe the entire building only has to be brought up to current energy efficency regs

will still cause plenty of headaches and expense

rock on!