House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Cor, It Isn't Arf Getting Exciting On Here Again Init?

All the truly dreadful news rolling out this past week has given us HPCers a new impetus and excitement that I admit was, for me, starting to wane. Financial Armageddon is back and the prospects of a house price wipe out a dead cert once again.

The sovereign debt thing is a thriller and at the same time the scariest thing to happen since WW2.

The unthinkable is mainstream now and that meeting in Barcelona has obviously been called a an emergency summit to try to stop the collapse of civilisation as we knew it.

My 3 friends trying to unload their properties around here are reporting fear in the marketplace--not just uncertainty but the kind of fear that gives you a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

TBS though, its a nasty place we are all in and it has happened as a result of pure greed and unfettered corruption across every sector. I have never known such dishonesty at so many levels--you cannot trust your insurance company not to rip you off. The banks? What can we say. I see everyone as a scammer these days and that is a sea change from how I saw things 10 years ago.

I think nobody really knows. One week everything's looking good, the next week it's all bad and the week after it's good again. But the markets are getting volatile again, which is classically a precursor to a bear market. This was certainly the case before the 2007/8 bear market.

Edited by blankster

All the truly dreadful news rolling out this past week has given us HPCers a new impetus and excitement that I admit was, for me, starting to wane. Financial Armageddon is back and the prospects of a house price wipe out a dead cert once again.

The sovereign debt thing is a thriller and at the same time the scariest thing to happen since WW2.

The unthinkable is mainstream now and that meeting in Barcelona has obviously been called a an emergency summit to try to stop the collapse of civilisation as we knew it.

My 3 friends trying to unload their properties around here are reporting fear in the marketplace--not just uncertainty but the kind of fear that gives you a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

TBS though, its a nasty place we are all in and it has happened as a result of pure greed and unfettered corruption across every sector. I have never known such dishonesty at so many levels--you cannot trust your insurance company not to rip you off. The banks? What can we say. I see everyone as a scammer these days and that is a sea change from how I saw things 10 years ago.

But apart from that, everything's ok!

I think nobody really knows. One week everything's looking good, the next week it's all bad and the week after it's good again. But the markets are getting volatile again, which is classically a precursor to a bear market. This was certainly the case before the 2007/8 bear market.

True. But it seems that every time there are any decent falls that they are quickly reversed. It's almost as if each time it happens governments secretly promise the markets that everything will be Ok - i.e., to quote Sh1thead Brown, "we'll do everything it takes"...

perhaps but it is going to be a slow burner.

we are a long way from post war debt levels and it might be decades of zirp and sideways movements (or 2 steps forward and three steps back) in the market until it gets resolved once and for all.

By which time it will have blended into whatever the new reality is, likely dominated by demographic realities or energy realities, or both.

Don't hold your breath. Exhale.

It has to bite at some point if we're to sort the cack left by Brown and his M Mouse antics.

I'm just sitting and waiting. Happy to rent with my money away from the £.

Quite.

The trouble is, this is not a time for celebration. It is too serious for that. I think some HPCers will choke on their popcorn when the bank holding their STR fund goes bust, they lose their job and their local garage runs out of petrol.

(And I'm not exaggerating - the last 10 years have seen a fuel crisis (2000) and multiple high street bank failures (2008). It can and will happen again soon.)

The world economy at the moment reminds me of Mr Burns from the Simpsons, he's get every disease a man can contract but somehow they all balance each other out and nothing happens....

:lol: love it.. great analogy

:lol: love it.. great analogy

I love Simpsons analogies. There really is one for every conceivable event in life.

This one was particularly good.

How many times can something be a dead cert before it's a dead cert?

How many times can something be a dead cert before it's a dead cert?

Mill Reef was just such a cert quite a few times. Muhammed Ali too.

Depends on what is being certified as a certainty in the sense of being "dead-on" or so likely that the chances of failure are de minimus.

See:

"An etymological study of dead certainty and its teleological implications" by Dieter Krappenschitz, Ph.D. thesis, University of Tubingen

Edited by Realistbear

:lol: 'hope you're right this time...

btw, have you got a tip for The Derby?!!

We already had a ~20 percent dip, a bit of a rally, and now about to go back to the trend, downwards. If you had read this site well in 2006, the crash would take a long time, years(house prices are sticky downwards), and there was always the mention of a dead cat bounce.

As for the original post, it sure seems we're about to start seeing some juicy falls again. I think that would have happened whoever won the election.

:lol: 'hope you're right this time...

btw, have you got a tip for The Derby?!!

We already had a ~20 percent dip, a bit of a rally, and now about to go back to the trend, downwards. If you had read this site well in 2006, the crash would take a long time, years(house prices are sticky downwards), and there was always the mention of a dead cat bounce.

As for the original post, it sure seems we're about to start seeing some juicy falls again. I think that would have happened whoever won the election.