House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

New Car Registrations Tick Up 13.5%

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article7143964.ece

Sales of new cars have held up despite the phasing out of the Government’s scrappage scheme, rising 13.5 per cent on last year.

The figure marks the eleventh consecutive month of rising sales. Just 2.7 per cent of the sales were attributed to the scrappage scheme, which ended on March 31, but is still affecting some registrations.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said that 153,095 cars were registered last month compared with 134,858 in 2009.

The sales figure is a 3 per cent rise on April this year.

It's the car sales recovery.

Looks like it's locked in, nothing can go wrong now...

I live up in the northwest of England and I can not believe the number of (10) registered cars on the road. It seems every other car is new totally unbelievable.

yep seen a lot of 10 plates around here...mostly old codgers that think nothing of revving to 5000 rpm to reverse out of a slight uphill drive at 0.5mph! Feel sorry for the owner that has to do the clutch change at 4 years though!

Most 10 plates I've spotted are Pugs?

Got to admit, this one really has me foxed. Who TF lets 2 yrs of free scrappage money sail by, and then when it has passed thinks - oooh, I know, lets buy a car??????!!!!

Is it panic before the VAT rise??? Thats all I can think

Got to admit, this one really has me foxed. Who TF lets 2 yrs of free scrappage money sail by, and then when it has passed thinks - oooh, I know, lets buy a car??????!!!!

One year and not everyone was eligible

If you really wanted, you could look at the monthly press releases to see the split of private/business purchases adn see any pattern there. Business buys fell and private buys rose under scrappage. Now it might be going back theother way.

Edited by daiking

One year and not everyone was eligible

Ah - my bad. I though all cars were eligible if they were of the right age/condition? were certain people not allowed?

Ah - my bad. I though all cars were eligible if they were of the right age/condition? were certain people not allowed?

10 years+ iirc - fairly decrepit with a definite late 90s cut off date

10 years+ iirc - fairly decrepit with a definite late 90s cut off date

Also, you had to have owned it for at least a year, AND it had to have a valid MOT. Which is why I've got a rusting MG Midget sitting on my drive - by the time I knew how much it was going to cost to get it through its MOT this time it was too late to Swappage it:(

That said, I've seen very few 10s here in rural Wiltshire.

Edited by cartimandua51

Yup, can confirm this.

I'm an engineer working at Honda in Swindon and after last years 4 month total shutdown we are now making 650 new cars every day. The majority are right-hand-drive. I don't know who is buying all these cars, but they are being sold.

Yup, can confirm this.

I'm an engineer working at Honda in Swindon and after last years 4 month total shutdown we are now making 650 new cars every day. The majority are right-hand-drive. I don't know who is buying all these cars, but they are being sold.

just what do you 'engineer'?

Yup, can confirm this.

What level of model?

Type R sort, or more old man?

Ahem - "Free scrappge money" was never free - it was paid for by the taxpayer... oh, and the manufacturer (but they all put their list prices up by more than their scrappage contribution within acouple of months of it being announced so they sure as hell didn't lose out...).

If you were looking to buy a new car, the scrappage deal wasn't actually good news as none of the dealers were interested in doing a deal because they had decent sales volumes from a steady stream of mugs who thought that trading in their old car for £2k off an inflated list price was a good deal. Someone I know was looking to buy a new car during the scrappage scheme. Dealers refused to negiotiate while it was on, but just one month after it ended they managed to get over £3k off a new BMW because the dealer wanted to make his monthly target, and they didn't have to trade in the old car (which they them sold for £2.5k...)

My guess is that current volumes are people like this who are now haggling and I think volumes will fall off a cliff over the rest of the year - all the scrappage scheme has done is bring forward demand from the mugs, er, masses.

I'm more interested in what he/she 'engineers'...I thought they were all 'operatives' at the Honda plant?

He might be a production line robot?

Design engineer, maybe? If that's a job.