House Price Crash Forum

Cancelling Sky Subscription

pl1

HOLA441

Had Sky + for nearly three years, got standard three entertainment packs plus broadband, but don't really watch it and really starting to think it's a waste of money. Also, like to stop watching TV period and do something more productive. I have Mobile Broadband while not great, was recently upgraded for free and will do.

After having serious issues cancelling my Orange acct a year ago, are there any issues or protocols I should follow with Sky or are they pretty good at this sort of thing?

I'm presuming I will have to phone up and can't do this from a nice friendly link on their Website somewhere?

Cheers,

HOLA442

I have had trouble sometimes trying to cancel things (telephone, cable, Sky etc) and have realised that the only time they are cancelled without a fuss is when I move house.

From now on I have decided that when I want to cancel I shall say I am moving. Hopefully this will be reasonably stress free and I won't be struggling to find a telephone number, e-mail address for cancelling things (which you can never find) or be subjected to a long sales pitch if you do get through. When you say you're moving they just accept it.

HOLA443

You have let Sky know a month in advance of the date you want your subscription to end. .We had to cancel ours when we moved at the back end of last year. We have it again now in our new place. We didn't have any problems doing it to be honest. Rang them up and it was sorted in the one call.

HOLA444

I just phoned them up and cancelled, they told me what date the cancellation would be effective as per their ts & cs and that was it.

We now use Freesat for general viewing and Blockbuster's £18 a month package for films. We can have three DVD or BluRays out at a time with two vouchers a month valid at the local shop in case anything goes wrong with the post.

HOLA445

Had Sky + for nearly three years, got standard three entertainment packs plus broadband, but don't really watch it and really starting to think it's a waste of money. Also, like to stop watching TV period and do something more productive. I have Mobile Broadband while not great, was recently upgraded for free and will do.

After having serious issues cancelling my Orange acct a year ago, are there any issues or protocols I should follow with Sky or are they pretty good at this sort of thing?

I'm presuming I will have to phone up and can't do this from a nice friendly link on their Website somewhere?

Cheers,

Cancelling Sky is a pain in the posterior. We cancelled once and "it got lost in the system." After being billed afte we thought we had cancelled, we cancelled again. It took about an hour on the phone. They do everything possible to keep you. Others we know had an identical experience. I suspect it is part of how their business operates. (Unlike those above who had ojkay experiences, we weren't moving house at the time.)

HOLA446

You can ring up to cancel as long as you are out of the 12 month contract period. You can chop and change the packs once a month if you want to. Only thing to be careful of is if you have both Sky BB and their phone service and you are paying line rental to Sky rather than BT then you are a "Sky Voice Broadband Network" (SVBN) customer and if you tell them to cancel your whole subscription then your phone line will go off and it will take 2 months+ for BT to re-issue you a phone line so you'll have no phone or internet during that period. BT will charge you too. Make sure you ask the monkey on the phone (and I've been one of them and despised every second of it) to confirm that you are a non-SVBN customer if the above applies to you. They way to cancel if you are SVBN is to get them to issue a MAC and set up your new provider before hand. We used to get people phoning up with a complaint (cos Sky are shit, quite frankly) and their screaming rant would end up with something along the lines of;

Irate customer: "Well, fvck you....cancel my whole acount cos I fvckin hate Sky"

Sky monkey: "Yes sir but if I do that your phone line will go off and won't be back on for 2 months"

Irate customer: "fvck you and do what you're told - cancel the fvckin lot"

Sky monkey: "As I've said, sir, you will lose your phone and internet for months"

Irate customer: "Don't speak to me like that, I'm the customer and I'm telling you what I want"

Sky monkey: "Fair enough, Sir,........."

Click! Bye bye phone line.

HOLA447

I have had trouble sometimes trying to cancel things (telephone, cable, Sky etc) and have realised that the only time they are cancelled without a fuss is when I move house.

From now on I have decided that when I want to cancel I shall say I am moving. Hopefully this will be reasonably stress free and I won't be struggling to find a telephone number, e-mail address for cancelling things (which you can never find) or be subjected to a long sales pitch if you do get through. When you say you're moving they just accept it.

Yes, but they'll just put you through to the home movers department and ask for your new address to transfer the account to.

HOLA448

Yes, but they'll just put you through to the home movers department and ask for your new address to transfer the account to.

You just tell them the new landlord said he'd headbutt you if you put a dish up.

HOLA449

You have let Sky know a month in advance of the date you want your subscription to end. .We had to cancel ours when we moved at the back end of last year. We have it again now in our new place. We didn't have any problems doing it to be honest. Rang them up and it was sorted in the one call.

Ditto. Although they will offer you half price something or other for 6 months and then if you waver they'll up it to 12 months..

Otherwise very good at the process. They have rung once to see if I missed them though. :)

HOLA4410

When cancelling my mobile contract with 3 I got the hard sell, I told them to piss off after about the 5th call asking me if I changed my mind / wanted a new deal / better phone or, interestingly enough and a first for me, did I want to pass my contract on to someone else? That was new. :huh:

Pointless anyway because I had told them in the first call, ad nausem, that I was leaving the country and as I would be on the other side of the planet, I had no further need of their services.

HOLA4411

When cancelling my mobile contract with 3 I got the hard sell, I told them to piss off after about the 5th call asking me if I changed my mind / wanted a new deal / better phone or, interestingly enough and a first for me, did I want to pass my contract on to someone else? That was new. :huh:

Pointless anyway because I had told them in the first call, ad nausem, that I was leaving the country and as I would be on the other side of the planet, I had no further need of their services.

3 are hard work when you want to cancel. They kept offering me deals with a new phone that I didn't want.

They just couldn't match the deal I'd been offered by Vodafone and I had to be very firm and insist they put me through to a supervisor, in the end I managed to get the two contracts cancelled, it took hours of arguing with them though :(.

HOLA4412

One tip to stop them ringing up making 'special offers': tell them that the reason you're cancelling is that you're moving abroad.

I told them I was moving to Australia and didn't hear a thing. My uncle cancelled about the same time, said it was becaue he couldn't afford it anymore and had weekly calls from Sky marketing for months afterwards.

HOLA4413

One tip to stop them ringing up making 'special offers': tell them that the reason you're cancelling is that you're moving abroad.

I told them I was moving to Australia and didn't hear a thing. My uncle cancelled about the same time, said it was becaue he couldn't afford it anymore and had weekly calls from Sky marketing for months afterwards.

Surprisingly, since I'd been a Sky subscriber for twenty years, they made no special offers at all. They asked why I was cancelling, I said because I was going to use Freeview and a postal film service, and that was it.

HOLA4414

Surprisingly, since I'd been a Sky subscriber for twenty years, they made no special offers at all. They asked why I was cancelling, I said because I was going to use Freeview and a postal film service, and that was it.

You see that was your mistake, you should have said you where on the breadline, 10 kids and could no longer afford it, then you would have been inundated with offers.

Archived