House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick It Down

Thunderstorms

I don't mind em but sods law thats the day I have a mate visiting.

This happened last time too. Those rain showers about a month ago. Grr...!!!!!!!

Could be a couple Satuday but Sunday is going to be mayhem.

Any HPCers scared of the things? I love them. It's been too long.

me too. bring it on.I'll just have to ensure I'm not out on the Yorkshire moors on my bike!

I love storms of any kind. I used to stand on our back step as a child watching the rain come down when it was so hard it would bounce off the patio.

The best storm I ever saw was in Sydney, I got up for work at 5.30 am, it was already 25oC and the air was absolutely humming. A storm broke that afternoon which I had the pleasure of watching from a great vantage point in the North of Sydney and it didn't stop for 2 weeks. It;s an experience I'll take to the grave as one of the most amazing in my life.

Guest X-QUORK

Catastrophic storms or just normal ones? Really they need to be catastrophic or this thread's in danger of being more boring than my local news thread.

Could be a couple Satuday but Sunday is going to be mayhem.

Any HPCers scared of the things? I love them. It's been too long.

I lived in Queensland for a few years - the storms I experienced there were awesome - loved them, rain that fell so hard it hurt and thunder so loud it cracked a couple of windows - they would last few hours too. Did have a tree struck in the garden once too (it was a big garden though (few acres)).... although she was a CATA-FLAMIN'-STROPHIC, you bute, storm.

Edit to entertain x-quork

I love storms of any kind. I used to stand on our back step as a child watching the rain come down when it was so hard it would bounce off the patio.

The best storm I ever saw was in Sydney, I got up for work at 5.30 am, it was already 25oC and the air was absolutely humming. A storm broke that afternoon which I had the pleasure of watching from a great vantage point in the North of Sydney and it didn't stop for 2 weeks. It;s an experience I'll take to the grave as one of the most amazing in my life.

Try horizontal rain in the west of Ireland, every new year's, with seaspray 10m in the air - like clockwork. Severe and dramatic, but not so bad that you can't go down the shore and experience it directly. Some crazies stand at the edge of the cliffs of moher leaning into the wind and looking down 200m to the breakers - usually people from the Netherlands!

Try horizontal rain in the west of Ireland, every new year's, with seaspray 10m in the air - like clockwork. Severe and dramatic, but not so bad that you can't go down the shore and experience it directly. Some crazies stand at the edge of the cliffs of moher leaning into the wind and looking down 200m to the breakers - usually people from the Netherlands!

This is turning into a storm willy waving thread! :lol: And anyway only a 20% risk in my area according to Accuweather. Pick It Down will have to be spanked!

This is turning into a storm willy waving thread! :lol: And anyway only a 20% risk in my area according to Accuweather. Pick It Down will have to be spanked!

Right! you've called it!

as of Monday, this thread is only open to people who actually waved their willy outdoors on Sunday.......

YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!!!! I WAS ERECT LIKE A LIGHTNING CONDUCTOR!!!!!

Guest anorthosite

Right! you've called it!

as of Monday, this thread is only open to people who actually waved their willy outdoors on Sunday.......

Challenge accepted. B)

Right! you've called it!

Am I allowed to play if my lightning conductor is only 14 inches long?

Does it have an ionizing source on the end?

I'm sorry but these details matter.

SO we are all clear... myself and anorthosite will, at some point on sunday, be exposing ourselves to THOR in a state of full tumnesence, with a radioactive source tied to the tip. Personally, I intend to use my grandfathers watch with the glowing dial.

Anyone who does NOT care to join us is a poof.

and probably a wierdo

14 inches ? I'm not folding mine in half for anyone !

Does it have an ionizing source on the end?

I'm sorry but these details matter.

SO we are all clear... myself and anorthosite will, at some point on sunday, be exposing ourselves to THOR in a state of full tumnesence, with a radioactive source tied to the tip. Personally, I intend to use my grandfathers watch with the glowing dial.

Anyone who does NOT care to join us is a poof.

and probably a wierdo

I'm in - I had mine out last night out doors .. I wasn't waving it, but I can easily remedy that.

A couple of years ago some lightning must have caused a power surge that destroyed my ADSL modem/router, despite the fact that it was connected through a surge protector. I've unplugged its replacement from both the mains and the phone line whenever there have been t-storms (or I've been going away for more than a few hours) since, and guess that I'll be doing the same this weekend.

Guest anorthosite

Right! you've called it!

I did it yesterday with storms in the distance.

Rock pools are very inviting on a hot day's hiking

A couple of years ago some lightning must have caused a power surge that destroyed my ADSL modem/router, despite the fact that it was connected through a surge protector. I've unplugged its replacement from both the mains and the phone line whenever there have been t-storms (or I've been going away for more than a few hours) since, and guess that I'll be doing the same this weekend.

Quite. Most equipment is built to take surges on the mains suppy as per EMC standards, but electrical equipment can still be damaged by voltage surges, especially if the lightnening stikes the power grid locally.

I always unplug my rather expensive electronic test gear during storms for this very reason. Those light bulbs flicker for a reason.

Thats it - I've unstrapped my granddaddy's watch. It aint gonna happen here in surrey 2nite :-(

Had pretty bad lightning storms in my area a few weeks ago. The church just next to where i live got the spire blown apart by lightning. Sounded like a bomb going off. Hope we dont get anything like that again this week.

ChurchSteepleDamage01%28med%29.JPG