House Price Crash Forum

Audi 20 Week Lead Times.......

Godley

HOLA441

Due for a new company car so doing the usual thing of trolling round showrooms. My choice is always choosing a car on CO2 'cos I loathe paying tax. Anyway, BMW, Audi and Volvo have the best cars when it comes to CO2 so tootled off to these showrooms.

I fully anticipated showrooms empty with salesman flciking elastic bands, despartley waiting for a customer to walk through the door. Couldn't have been more wrong, the showrooms were rammed indeed had to wait in the waiting area with cup of coffee and sky news to watch.

The lead times are amazing, what happened to all those cars in fields rotting away?....................can somebody point me in the direction of 'recession' please.................

HOLA442
HOLA443

Same with expensive motorbikes, the latest Ducati model (around £14.5k on the road) has a waiting list until September...

A good time to start motorcycling, just in time for fog and Winter!

It's the usual glut followed by drought, we are never taught about!

HOLA444

Due for a new company car so doing the usual thing of trolling round showrooms. My choice is always choosing a car on CO2 'cos I loathe paying tax. Anyway, BMW, Audi and Volvo have the best cars when it comes to CO2 so tootled off to these showrooms.

I fully anticipated showrooms empty with salesman flciking elastic bands, despartley waiting for a customer to walk through the door. Couldn't have been more wrong, the showrooms were rammed indeed had to wait in the waiting area with cup of coffee and sky news to watch.

The lead times are amazing, what happened to all those cars in fields rotting away?....................can somebody point me in the direction of 'recession' please.................

Same with Honda's. Sales staff simply ignore you, they assume you'll not be willing to wait long enough to buy from them.

HOLA445

A relative has recently been looking for a new car that will be adapted for them to drive after suffering a stroke. Nissan had a three and a half month delay between ordering and receiving the vehicle. Volkswagen three months and Ford was about a fortnight.

HOLA446

I don't think it was the premium German Car makers who had fields full of cars. Almost all their cars are made to order. It is the mass market Astras and Focuses which are produced at standard specs which were kept in fields.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Have they cut back on staff, switched off machinery, and reduced their manufacturing capacity? Just a thought.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Sounds like good news to me. If people stop buying overpriced new cars, then my bargain second hand ones become more expensive. 20 weeks is quite a long time, but as someone else pointed out, these cars are made to order to specific specs, so you would expect the lead time to be at least several weeks, and the plants may well shut down or scale back in the summer to allow for holidays.

HOLA4411

Sounds like good news to me. If people stop buying overpriced new cars, then my bargain second hand ones become more expensive. 20 weeks is quite a long time, but as someone else pointed out, these cars are made to order to specific specs, so you would expect the lead time to be at least several weeks, and the plants may well shut down or scale back in the summer to allow for holidays.

JIT is part of it. Keeping it appearing desirable is another. Audi 3 &4s now though, bit naff, although the styling is possibly better than their competitors. Depends who you need to impress. Yourself, or others.

If you loath paying tax you actually mean you want it cheaper so why not try a 2nd hand car/ delivery mileage/ broker etc?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

what happened to all those cars in fields rotting away?....................can somebody point me in the direction of 'recession' please.................

Apart from Vulva, I don't think Beemer or Audi EVER had cars in a field or fields? Maybe Vulva were the same too...but when I was entitled to a company car Beemer and Audis had a long waiting list! Fords and Poxhalls were about 3 months though! And that is going back to about 2006!

Renaults, Nissans, VWs, Pugs were all like "we can deliver next day".

Nothing to see here...move along please! :lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Q5 2.0 diesel?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Have they cut back on staff, switched off machinery, and reduced their manufacturing capacity? Just a thought.

The simple logic is usually the best.

HOLA4420

As many other people have mentioned I think it's just the higher end manufacturers make their cars to order, whilst the volume manufacturers don't and try to guess what number and what type of car their customers will want and get it wrong leading to fields of unsold cars. I would imaging that even if Audi had received no orders this year it would still take them 20 weeks to make the car you specified. There's always the chance of getting a pre-registered car from the dealer that you could take delivery of sooner but you'd have to take what they had available rather than getting the exact car you wanted.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

That's nowt.

Five month wait for my new Bentley Continental.

HOLA4425

Decent queue for the Q5 here at the moment - no wait time on the other models.

I have decided on the A4 TDIe. Ordered last week, delivery Mid September not as bad as first told still too long imho.

What I am getting at is the recession has cut out the spare capacity as others have eluded to, thus as I suspect (and with other anecdotes) the private sector has neared the end of the pain.

Colleague ordering the A5 (doesn't care as much about CO2!!) he has been told December.

You would have thought that the higher end badges would been feeling the pain even more, not from my personal experience. Things are moving, fully anticipate news soon of manufacturers taking more people on to come with demand.

Archived