House Price Crash Forum
GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

Radio 2: Capital Gains Tax Discussion

cheers, for the heads up

Vine cant be happy with the comment i'm listening to, saying having money in houses is unproductive and people should invest in business.

The guy from Grant Thornton Accountants illustrates the problem the UK faces. He cannot accept that high house prices are taking money out of the productive economy, and like anyone who makes their living from hyper-complex legislation, suggests that the solution is "more schemes to build low cost homes".

There are a huge number of people out there who believe they are entitled to see HPI of 5-10% a year. They don't seem to understand this was only possible when the demographics were favourable. Now there are less youngsters than oldsters... ;)

The guy from Grant Thornton Accountants illustrates the problem the UK faces. He cannot accept that high house prices are taking money out of the productive economy, and like anyone who makes their living from hyper-complex legislation, suggests that the solution is "more schemes to build low cost homes".

There are a huge number of people out there who believe they are entitled to see HPI of 5-10% a year. They don't seem to understand this was only possible when the demographics were favourable. Now there are less youngsters than oldsters... ;)

+1

The sense of entitlement is palpable. I've lost count of the number of times callers/emailers in to the show have called for relief on their mortgage payments or refund of any subsequent NegEq.

The money to reduce the deficit has to come from somewhere..........

+2

I completely agree.

That beatles song didn't sound right or was that just me? Anyway is that it? I've just texted in as well :huh:

[]

+the sense of entitlement is palpable. I've lost count of the number of times callers/emailers in to the show have called for relief on their mortgage payments or refund of any subsequent NegEq.

The money to reduce the deficit has to come from somewhere..........

These callers should call for proper mortgage regulation based on income multiples, then we would not haveto endure this 10-20 year fiasco of house boom and ultimate bust. There would rarely if ever be negative equity and homes would be living in and not just an investment vehicle. If I had been in govt, homes would now only be about 80-90% more than they were in 1997, exactly the same as the general increase in wages in the same period. Sorry..forgot to put my name forward.