House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Stupidly High Ink Costs

Just thought I would share my expeiences with inkjet printers with HPCers. It could be any inkjet printer, but mine is a epson px700w, its a good printer but as with all printers after a year of use the prints start to get smudged, Im and running though ALOT of ink carterages (30->60 quid a month) and eventually certain colours stop working all together and I get an error saying the waste block is used up. I set about fixing the printer and reducing my printing costs

1. All Inkjet printers have a Waste Block, which is a foam or cloth block at the bottom of the printer, this is where ink is dumped during cleaning. Im shocked to discover that Inkjet printers are designed to fail after a year or two! The solution is to get onto ebay and buy a waste Tank. You attach it to your printer via a small clear tube and this catches all the wasted ink and your printer is much less likely to fail/get clogged up...

2. Get a CISS system, continuous ink system. This is a set of ink tanks behind the printer with tubes that go into a block that sits where your ink cartrages use to be. This constantly feeds your printer ink, and you simply fill the tanks with loose botted ink which is very very cheap. 13 quid gives me 600ml of ink which will last me for thousands of photographic quality prints.

3. If you have left the upgrade too late, buy an empty ink carterage set and some ink cleaning fluid, print and clean until it is totally clear. Replace with your CISS system and after a few prints you will have perfect quality again.

and that is how to reduce your printing costs MASSIVLY. Ink jet printers are a con, they are designed to fail and designed to consume expensive ink/refills. You can decimate your printing costs very cheaply, and there is no reason why printer manufacturers couldnt build cheap printers with ink tanks and waste tanks built in, its all a big con..

Yes and?

Many people have known this for a very long time, get one of those continous ink feed kits if you want to do more printing, or even a laser printer.

Yes and?

Many people have known this for a very long time, get one of those continous ink feed kits if you want to do more printing, or even a laser printer.

Lots of people aren't as clever ;p I'm not that clever and previous poster didn't know either. Just though I would share...

Just thought I would share my expeiences with inkjet printers with HPCers. It could be any inkjet printer, but mine is a epson px700w, its a good printer but as with all printers after a year of use the prints start to get smudged, Im and running though ALOT of ink carterages (30->60 quid a month) and eventually certain colours stop working all together and I get an error saying the waste block is used up. I set about fixing the printer and reducing my printing costs

1. All Inkjet printers have a Waste Block, which is a foam or cloth block at the bottom of the printer, this is where ink is dumped during cleaning. Im shocked to discover that Inkjet printers are designed to fail after a year or two! The solution is to get onto ebay and buy a waste Tank. You attach it to your printer via a small clear tube and this catches all the ....

and that is how to reduce your printing costs MASSIVLY. Ink jet printers are a con, they are designed to fail and designed to consume expensive ink/refills. You can decimate your printing costs very cheaply, and there is no reason why printer manufacturers couldnt build cheap printers with ink tanks and waste tanks built in, its all a big con..

I wasn't aware of this though. Sometimes those things you can't be bothered to read up on cost you a lot in the end.

Wondered what that block of inksmudged foam was for. Pretty obvious when you think about it.

I've had a lot of success refilling Canon cartidges. Epson and others have proven to be a pain in the backside with clogging and not working well with non-proprietory inks or using half the ink in a cleaning cycle and filling the waste ink compartment full to overflowing with ink. - Edit this seems to be a particular problem with Epsons.

There's a handy little cartidge resetter for the majority of Canon Pixma cartirdges that works a treat, I've had one cartirdge go bad after around 50 individual refills. You still get printer breakdowns, have had to replace the printer for paper feed/print head problems twice over a number of years but saving money on the inks totally outweighs any other costs.

Guest Noodle

Lots of people aren't as clever ;p I'm not that clever and previous poster didn't know either. Just though I would share...

I always run CISS. Bought 4 litres of ink for around 70 quid 2 years ago. Still not a centimetre down the bottles.

Lifetime supply.

Best system I had so far is the latest one. A Brother DCP195 with integrated CISS. 60 quid the whole system out here, filled plus spare ink.

Avoid Hewlett Packard. Awful software.

I've had a lot of success refilling Canon cartidges. Epson and others have proven to be a pain in the backside with clogging and not working well with non-proprietory inks or using half the ink in a cleaning cycle and filling the waste ink compartment full to overflowing with ink. - Edit this seems to be a particular problem with Epsons.

There's a handy little cartidge resetter for the majority of Canon Pixma cartirdges that works a treat, I've had one cartirdge go bad after around 50 individual refills. You still get printer breakdowns, have had to replace the printer for paper feed/print head problems twice over a number of years but saving money on the inks totally outweighs any other costs.

I used to refill as a stop gap, but just taking a carterage out and replaceing it with another seems to waste ink and causing blockages, and it was just hastle. I recommend a CISS, it is much much easier. I agree epsons seem to be problematic, but mine now does fantastic prints, only 6 months ago it was failing to print anything...

I personally wouldn't touch HP inkjets, due to the sheer cost of the inks. Circa twenty quid each. My mum had one, and it cost her a fortune. I decided to buy a Canon, as the inks were only a quid. I don't know if there's a difference in quality, but I couldn't justify spending that much on ruddy inks! If I need a high quality print done, I'd rather go to a copyshop..

I went back to a B&W laser (£80!). Two years (and a lot of printing) later, toner level = 97%+.

Who on earth actually needs colour printing?

(Hint: take photies down to the supermarket on a USB stick.)

I went back to a B&W laser (£80!). Two years (and a lot of printing) later, toner level = 97%+.

Who on earth actually needs colour printing?

(Hint: take photies down to the supermarket on a USB stick.)

I can get 50 sheets of photo paper from pound land, that's 2p a print for really high quality photos :) I think the ink I have will last me another 5 years...

I used to refill as a stop gap, but just taking a carterage out and replaceing it with another seems to waste ink and causing blockages, and it was just hastle. I recommend a CISS, it is much much easier...

I think it very largely depends on manufacturer, I could not believe how long one epson took to "clean" itself - even then it didn't seem to totally clear its head, very picky about OEM cartidges too. If you have a good working Epson then the cost of a CISS and waste tank system may well be worth it. If I were putting thousands of pages through my Canon, again a CISS may make sense, thing is the Canons seem to purge themselves in seconds and waste almost no ink once refilled. The problem is you go out and buy a CISS and waste kit and then the printer goes bung and you have an even more expensive headache to deal with and hunting around for a compatible printer. Low(ish) use go for refills and Canon, for me they have been so little trouble in comparison to other makes.

2. Get a CISS system, continuous ink system. This is a set of ink tanks behind the printer with tubes that go into a block that sits where your ink cartrages use to be.

If you do a lot of printing at home, especially photo printing, this is the way to go.

A friend of mine* used to print a lot of photos on his Canon printer, then he switched to Peak Imaging. Now he just uploads the files via FTP, they print them for him and send him the stuff in the post. Much cheaper overall, plus there's a time saving element. You could probably find a local equivalent to Peak, but as they work via FTP and post, geographical location isn't as crucial as it once was.

(*He's quite fussy about his prints and was initially reluctant to give up control over the printing of his pictures, but now he's very happy with the results he gets.)

There's a handy little cartidge resetter for the majority of Canon Pixma cartirdges that works a treat,

Where can I get one of these? And the ink?

I've never heard of a continuous ink supply?

I have been refilling my HP cartridges. It works once the ink has settled, but it's not ideal.

Where can I get one of these? And the ink?

Ink from pretty much anywhere - get an equivalent to Canon's lightfast stuff.

What printer model have you got and I'll look one up.

Ink from pretty much anywhere - get an equivalent to Canon's lightfast stuff.

What printer model have you got and I'll look one up.

Canon iP4760

It's low use (home) but I'm annoyed with Canon as the previous printer just stopped working (also low usage) and it was cheaper to get a new one than repair - and by the way, the new one uses a slightly different cartridge. Luckily I hadn't stocked up on consumables and they gave me 50 cents on the dollar trade in for the new but opened ones.

I never got the memo regarding the built in obsolescence which prevails in much modern electronics - they're all at it.

I've never heard of a continuous ink supply?

Regular visitors to the Focus on Imaging show and other big photography shindigs will probably have seen the likes of Lyson demonstrating their CIS systems.

There have been more of them over the years, but it's still a somewhat niche market.

Not all printers are supported but the more popular photo printers tend to be.

If I was still into photography I'm not sure what I'd do. Print from home or send it away.

Canon iP4760

It's low use (home) but I'm annoyed with Canon as the previous printer just stopped working (also low usage) and it was cheaper to get a new one than repair - and by the way, the new one uses a slightly different cartridge. Luckily I hadn't stocked up on consumables and they gave me 50 cents on the dollar trade in for the new but opened ones.

I never got the memo regarding the built in obsolescence which prevails in much modern electronics - they're all at it.

Umm, looks like the latest model ink catridges - not been able to find a resetter for these:

PGI-820 BK / CLI-821

Sorry! Might be worth searching again in 6 months and something may crop up - unless they've made these non-resettable, then a I suppose a non-reset chipset swap might work.

1. All Inkjet printers have a Waste Block, which is a foam or cloth block at the bottom of the printer, this is where ink is dumped during cleaning. Im shocked to discover that Inkjet printers are designed to fail after a year or two! The solution is to get onto ebay and buy a waste Tank. You attach it to your printer via a small clear tube and this catches all the wasted ink and your printer is much less likely to fail/get clogged up...

2. Get a CISS system, continuous ink system. This is a set of ink tanks behind the printer with tubes that go into a block that sits where your ink cartrages use to be. This constantly feeds your printer ink, and you simply fill the tanks with loose botted ink which is very very cheap. 13 quid gives me 600ml of ink which will last me for thousands of photographic quality prints.

3. If you have left the upgrade too late, buy an empty ink carterage set and some ink cleaning fluid, print and clean until it is totally clear. Replace with your CISS system and after a few prints you will have perfect quality again.

I can't resist being a pedant. Sorry!

Sorry to bump this back up but on a related note is there anywhere one can recycle old broken printers? I feel a bit guilty dumping my big plastic canon printer in landfill what with all the electronic bits inside etc.

Sorry to bump this back up but on a related note is there anywhere one can recycle old broken printers? I feel a bit guilty dumping my big plastic canon printer in landfill what with all the electronic bits inside etc.

Stick it on freeagle as spares or repair, I've ressurected a few printers in my time, and I've given away old printers only to be ressurected by somebody else.