House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PopGun

Windows 7

Is it worth buying to upgrade from Vista (spit boo hiss)?

If you love your taxes and are allergic to freedom, then by all means, go on paying your Microsoft tax.

Is it worth buying to upgrade from Vista (spit boo hiss)?

Its better than Vista (it couldn't be worse). Windows 7 came pre-installed on my new Dell desktop. On one of my Netbooks I replaced Vista with Ubuntu. Didn't see the point of an upgrade to 7.

I never used Vista but I do like Windows 7. It has some annoyances but after getting used to it I do prefer it to XP.

Be careful to check that the necessary drivers are available. I was dismayed to find that no W7 driver was available for my HP Colour Laserjet 3600 (an expensive printer), but found that the Vista driver works so panic over. Some things don't work though, eg one of my range extending wifi adapters :(.

If you love your taxes and are allergic to freedom, then by all means, go on paying your Microsoft tax.

I placed the word 'buying' in my post purely for the benefit of any snooping stasi. :)

Guest absolutezero

I never used Vista but I do like Windows 7. It has some annoyances but after getting used to it I do prefer it to XP.

Be careful to check that the necessary drivers are available. I was dismayed to find that no W7 driver was available for my HP Colour Laserjet 3600 (an expensive printer), but found that the Vista driver works so panic over. Some things don't work though, eg one of my range extending wifi adapters :(.

Where's the conspiracy in that?

Guest absolutezero

No brainer.

Perfect description of anyone who uses a Windows computer.

No brainer.

Anything is better than vista... w7 is really the best OS ms have come out with so far.

That said, unless you are doing something special - ie beyond browsing, word and the occasional spot of excel, I wouldn't bother.

Have migrated 1 XP 32bit to 7 64bit, about to migrate 2nd XP machine, then a Vista 32bit laptop.

These happen to be our home PCs but I do this sort of thing for a living so I think I have an informed view.

So far so good. 7 feels similar to XP & more responsive than Vista (not hard!).

Despite all the dire warnings everything still worked on the XP machine after a Windows update and some 64bit driver installations. A re-format, fresh install was not required. We may have been lucky though...

If you have kids at school or university or work directly with students - lecturer, teacher, advisor - copies of 7 Pro are available for £42 here

windows 7 64 is rather good, much much better than vista. If you temporary go back and use XP or an older MS os they seem harder to use. MS seem to be finally heading in a better direction.

One other option you shouldn't discount is using windows server 2008 as a desktop operating system, it works rather well (as long as you install an alternative browser) :P. Windows 7 is very stable, windows server 2008 is very similar but with less initial GUI fanciness and everything turned off when you install it so even more stable...

windows 7 64 is rather good, much much better than vista.  If you temporary go back and use XP or an older MS os they seem harder to use.  MS seem to be finally heading in a better direction.

One other option you shouldn't discount is using windows server 2008 as a desktop operating system, it works rather well (as long as you install an alternative browser) :P.  Windows 7 is very stable, windows server 2008 is very similar but with less initial GUI fanciness and everything turned off when you install it so even more stable...

Funny enough thought that too about Windows Server. May run it as a VM on my 64 bit Windows 7 box once I've sorted out media and licencing.

Can I run XP programs on Windows 7?

Yes.

I run Vista 64 and was a little concerned about older program compatibility. I needn't have been.

On occasion I need to run a piece of software called pfe 101, which is ancient (pre-Windows 95). It works fine. The only problem I've ever had with 64 bit Windows is one Netgear wifi driver that they have no plans to produce a 64 bit version of.

Perfect description of anyone who uses a Windows computer.

:rolleyes: And that's the response of an 'Anyone but Microsoft' fanboy. (i.e. Linux or whatever you crazy kids are pissing around with these days)

C'mon guys, let's not derail this thread into a Mac vs. PC vs. Linux argument.

Agreed, I was mearly pointing out that going from Vista to 7 is a no brainer, which it is. Then I got trolled and went for it hook line and sinker.

Let's have an IT ****waving thread instead. It must be at least a week since the last one.

(snip)

I was dismayed to find that no W7 driver was available for my HP Colour Laserjet 3600 (an expensive printer), but found that the Vista driver works so panic over..

Bruce, is that one of those expensive printers that can print in any colour as long as it is blue??????? ;)

Agreed, I was mearly pointing out that going from Vista to 7 is a no brainer, which it is.

Not having a go at you IWIN (although it might perhaps have seemed like that).

Actually maybe I should think about upgrading to Windows 7 at some point.

Not having a go at you IWIN (although it might perhaps have seemed like that).

Actually maybe I should think about upgrading to Windows 7 at some point.

I don't get offended on Fridays :D

Macs are just high spec PCs these days anyway, imo.

I don't get offended on Fridays :D

I feel quite cheery today too, must be the sunny weather. Which is odd as I rarely go out in it.

Biggest shock for most is the move away from Outlook E

I (finally) switched to Outlook as a result of OE being discontinued. Don't regret it.

Macs are just high spec PCs these days anyway, imo.

I remember the days of SCSI hard drives, NuBUS, the Apple Desktop Bus, incompatible printer ports. Great days. Back then, you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of printers in PC World with an Apple compatible printer port.