House Price Crash Forum
council dweller

Nassim Taleb And Cameron. Will Cameron Shoot...

This Video goes back to last year, may have been posted before but should be seen again in light of the fact that Cameron is now PM.

What's the biggest 'too big to fail'? The housing market innit!

Could the boy Dave think the unthinkable and let it crash?

Guest absolutezero

This Video goes back to last year, may have been posted before but should be seen again in light of the fact that Cameron is now PM.

No.

Next question.

Guest absolutezero

Well he did watch 28 minutes of video in just under 3. He's probably on the dried frog pills.

I had seen it a few weeks ago when it was posted then.

Well, has the housing market been treated as something too big to fail and has even the very idea been taboo?

And another thing, we now have a real toff as PM for the first time for fifty years(?), is it possible that he will not follow the middleclass religion of HPI, the real aristos have a different outlook do they not?

Cameroid is going to let it all go to hell in a handbasket, because there's now nothing that can be done

Palliative care is now the only option for this terminally sick patient, Mr Uk.

He's not stupid. 2.5 - 3 years of nastiness, and then start to build it all back up for the next election, by which point your average Brit thicko will have forgotten the pain.

Twas always thus.

Guest absolutezero

Well, has the housing market been treated as something too big to fail and has even the very idea been taboo?

And another thing, we now have a real toff as PM for the first time for fifty years(?), is it possible that he will not follow the middleclass religion of HPI, the real aristos have a different outlook do they not?

It's a possibility but I'd not hold my breath.

All politicians are really bothered about (no matter what they say) is being re-elected.

Allowing house prices to crash would severely piss off a lot of swing voters.

It's a possibility but I'd not hold my breath.

All politicians are really bothered about (no matter what they say) is being re-elected.

Who? The graduates earning 9k a year at Tesco? There will be millions dancing in the streets when house prices crash, and the government have run out of options for rigging the market anyway? Higher paid professionals like the ones on the Parma Ham thread will also welcome a crash because they will by that time be trying to start again from their new council flat.

I haven't watched it yet but I think to imply that the government has the power to decide whether house prices crash or not is giving them too much credit.

They have some power to influence prices in the short term but longer term the market always wins.

Perhaps they could delay it with grants, tax incentives etc. but what then?

Also, contrary to popular belief, interest rates are not set by the government but by the market.

Market psychology it what matters most so let's see what happens when the belief that "property always goes up" is finally shattered as I believe it will be.

I think thats the whole point, it is too big to fail, a housing crash will result in an economic crash and a financial crash, they are all interwoven. For this reason i dont believe any sane govt would let it crash so they will do everything to prop it up but the imbalance remains and gets worse with each additional measure taken to retain the imbalance. Fortunately the collective market doesnt give a toss about govts or induividuals or companies and the crash is happening anyway, has been for 3 years.

Its also the reason why they were completely stupid to win the election, they certainly wont get another sniff for a few decades once this economic adjustment of epic proportions has played out

I haven't watched it yet but I think to imply that the government has the power to decide whether house prices crash or not is giving them too much credit.

They have some power to influence prices in the short term but longer term the market always wins.

Also, contrary to popular belief, interest rates are not set by the government but by the market.

Market psychology it what matters most so let's see what happens when the belief that "property always goes up" is finally shattered as I believe it will be.

That`s it in a nutshell. The drip drip drip has started into peoples consciousness that maybe that 400k newbuild wasn`t such a great idea, and maybe, just maybe they have made the dumbest financial decision of their lives. People are going to compete on the way down to get out of property in the same way they trampled each other to throw more and more borrowed money at getting on "The Ladder".

Not so sure about that, we all know how desparate Brown was to get elected but Cameron? Not being a true believer can make a big difference....perhaps he can never understand the 'aspirations' of the middle classes unlike Brown, Blair, Major and Thatcher. For Aristos, furniture and houses 'just are.'

Guest absolutezero

Markets can be, and are, manipulated by Governments.

There is NO SUCH THING as a free market.

Guest absolutezero

Not so sure about that, we all know how desparate Brown was to get elected but Cameron? Not being a true believer can make a big difference....perhaps he can never understand the 'aspirations' of the middle classes unlike Brown, Blair, Major and Thatcher. For Aristos, furniture and houses 'just are.'

If he doesn't get that then he's doomed to failure.

Guest absolutezero

Who? The graduates earning 9k a year at Tesco? There will be millions dancing in the streets when house prices crash, and the government have run out of options for rigging the market anyway? Higher paid professionals like the ones on the Parma Ham thread will also welcome a crash because they will by that time be trying to start again from their new council flat.

The "Middle Classes" are the ones who decide who gets the opportunity to form the next Government.

If he doesn't get that then he's doomed to failure.

Failure? Failure as defined by .....?

If he can do something to rebalance the economy he would not be a failure in the eyes of many. Losing the next election would not mean failure in that case.

Guest absolutezero

If he can do something to rebalance the economy he would not be a failure in the eyes of many. Losing the next election would not mean failure in that case.

In the eyes of his friends in the Conservative Party it would be viewed as failure.

Failure = your party losing an election.

Victory = your party winning an election.

Cameron didn't even manage that!

Failure will likely be defined by a very large decline in living standards across all classes, but particularly the middle class and poor, That is what is required to rebalance the economy, the removal of the majority of credit which has masked the declining productivity of the UK for decades. Unfortunately the perceived wealth only exists in asset prices, (not just houses), held up by the debt on the other side of the equation, rebalancing means defaulting the debt through one means or another, that has to mean the disappearance of the wealth on the other side

gee thanks im poorer! I dont think anyone will thank the person that rebalancing happens under,

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

In the eyes of his friends in the Conservative Party it would be viewed as failure.

Failure = your party losing an election.

Victory = your party winning an election.

Cameron didn't even manage that!

The really funny thing is ... Cameron hasn't got friends in the Conservative Party! I have had the misfortune to mix with the local 'powers that be' a number of times over the last few years. A bigger bunch of inbred half-wits you could not hope to meet. They are the dyed in the wool backbone of the Conservative Party - and they elected Dave as leader because if they elected a Tory they knew they'd never get back into power.

Of course they have realised too late that Dave is not one of them. Maybe his background means he can be genuinely above his party's asinine self-interest groups - and that he does actually want to build a better country. And, there is a lot more to him than people thought. At some point in the next few years the Conservative Party will either split - or will find itself getting smaller as those on the right leave. In the same way the Gang of Four felt they no longer belonged in the Labour Party - at some point a breakaway group with form - The Real Conservatives - they'll have plenty of money and funding - what they won't have, and will never understand - is that they will have NO SUPPORT.

Meanwhile the new centre co-alition will consolidate and attract new members.

I'm waiting for the day John Redwood leads the charge and forms The Real Conservatives and, at the subsequent election, finds out people really don't want a right wing government.