House Price Crash Forum
greentomato

Notice To Quit

Hi,

We have rented this place on a 2 year fixed term with a one year break clause, we decided to carry on renting for another year.

We are 4 months now until our tenancy comes up for renewal and our landlady has given notice to quit.

Is this valid ?

Surely she can only do that at the end of a tenancy ? ie beginning of October ?

Not only that she contacted us and wants to show people round, with a view to buy.

We don't want to leave and certainly don't want people round.

Is the notice valid or is it harassement ?

Edited by greentomato

I think she's just issued the notice early which is fine. She can issue the notice. I'm not sure you can have viewings more than 2 months before the end of the tenancy but check your tenancy agreement to see what it says. Either way its not harassment.

Hi,

We have rented this place on a 2 year fixed term with a one year break clause, we decided to carry on renting for another year.

We are 4 months now until our tenancy comes up for renewal and our landlady has given notice to quit.

Is this valid ?

Not only that she contacted us and wants to show people round, with a view to buy.

Edited by fallingbuzzard

Hi,

Is this valid ?

Assuming you mean she has given notice to quit asap then no she cant, if its notice to quit on the last day the probably she can.

In terms of viewings, just tell her no, explain that you have rented the property until october (whatever your last date is) and have no interest in viewings so will not be allowing them.

You will probably have to go on the last day of the tenancy as even if the notice is invalid she has time to submit a proper one but you do not have to entertain viewings

Edit to say pedro got in with my words before i did (was mid post :lol: )

Edited by Rozza

As far as I'm aware, it does not matter if a tenancy agreement has a clause allowing viewings or not. The law allows a tenant to refuse them whilst it is their home. No tenancy agreement can override the law. Most reasonable tenants will however allow viewings, but in your case I assume you would rather not? If you refuse the landlord/landlady has to wait until the end of your tenancy.

Thanks Everyone.

So no we don't want any viewings, we have been constantly having our privacy intruded upon here and feel like we are just taken for granted.

The Landlord is always going through our letter box and removing post, just got two letters re sent to us by the bank which the landlord obviously removed in January !!!

The landlord wrote "not living here" on the letters and posted them back to the bank who then oddly re posted them back to us... and that's just the tip of the iceberg......

So we will be saying "No Viewings" I think, which I have done anyway, don't trust her not to let herself in though.....Still we don't actually want to move... so much hassle....

The Landlord is always going through our letter box and removing post, just got two letters re sent to us by the bank which the landlord obviously removed in January !!!

The landlord wrote "not living here" on the letters and posted them back to the bank who then oddly re posted them back to us... and that's just the tip of the iceberg......

So we will be saying "No Viewings" I think, which I have done anyway, don't trust her not to let herself in though.....Still we don't actually want to move... so much hassle....

Couple of things here

It is a criminal offence to delay or interfere with mail in any way whatsoever, if you know this is happening call 2 people 1) the landlady to explain about call 2 happening and then 2) the police

That would also be an offence, i wouldnt be so nice at this point, the phone call would go along the lines of "you are taking the f'ing piss and im calling the police and then suing your ass"

I believe that technically mail in transit belongs to the Queen and yes by interfering with your mail she (not the Queen the LL) is committing an offence.

People (whoever they are) who let themselves into your home without your permission except in an emergency (police fire etc) are normally referred to as burglars and the police need to be called to have them arrested.

+1 to that, re the mail thing, it does indeed belong to the queen and just to be clear, it is a criminal offence against the crown, now i dont know what exactly that means but in the old days i guess that was off with their heads time

so maybe next time she comes in uninvited chop off her head and blame the queen :rolleyes: ... oh ok then, call the police its more "official" that way

Wow now realised that the landlord gave us notice to quit so they could show ONE person round who was interested in the property, so our peace of mind was destroyed to suit their own agenda.... Naturally we will allow no viewings....

Can now confirm it was indeed the landlords writing on letters returned to sender with (not at this address) one was a bank statement... Amazing I can only think it was malicious....

"Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice."

In terms of your blanket ban on viewings, while a sympathise with your view, will you be needing a reference for your next place?

Dont take offence by the fact you have been served notice, this is a inherent 'danger' or process with renting which you may, unfortunatley, face again in a future rental.

They may like to have a reference, but the key is CAN YOU PAY THE RENT? If yes then please move in - keys after you pay the deposit and a months rent.

Actually ISTM that's what more important is WILL YOU PAY THE RENT.

tim

Got the keys for a new rental tonight and after signing the lease and inventory the agent served us with notice to quit! "In case we forget in four months time". He said it didn't mean we could only rent it for 6 months and that it was just procedure.

It's not a very inspiring start is it?

Got the keys for a new rental tonight and after signing the lease and inventory the agent served us with notice to quit! "In case we forget in four months time". He said it didn't mean we could only rent it for 6 months and that it was just procedure.

It's not a very inspiring start is it?

Bad faith. For future reference, seek an agent's assurance that they will not abuse Section 21 notices.

If you want to get back at them, there might be some mileage in trying to find other tenants who have been given the same by this agent, to collect evidence that they're abusing Section 21 notices. When any of you are booted out for real, take it to court on the grounds that the agent is known to abuse Section 21 and has no credibility. With all the evidence, a court might just agree. But don't rely on any such thing without advice from a solicitor!

Could even turn into something like the origins of the labour movement. "One out, all out" becomes "one chucked out, all stop paying rent".

See the pinned "beware the sword of damocles' thread.

Thanks for that.

I haven't been reading the renting section as for 2.5 years I've been renting from a friend of the family in a house I knew was rented for 15 years and we could have it as long as we wanted. We have only got involved with agents because we have moved area.

I have a bad feeling about this rental now and don't like who I am dealing with.

Quick question for you knowledgable folk on here. Me and my flatmate are on our second six month AST, which is due to finish on September 1st. I was planning on advising our Letting Agent in the next few days that we would not be renewing the lease at the end of the fixed term, but the other day I noticedthat our tenancy agreement says we must give "two months notice".

Does this mean they will probably try and get us to stay on until October 1st. More importantly can I get out of their two month notice period by stating that I wish to leave at the end of the AST's fixed term, that is provided I advise them before August 1st?

The rent due date is the first of each month.

Edited by Jie Bie