House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Driving Test Mods

Hugh Bladon of the Association of British Drivers said: ‘The whole driving system is absurd.

‘These new measures are missing the point of stopping reckless drivers on the road.

‘These confusing new tasks could just make it more costly and take more time for learner drivers to pass their test.

‘Learners need to be taught the basics of driving first before they're allowed on the road.

‘You can't stop them passing their test as denying people their licence is denying them their freedom.’

I think it's him that's missing the point.

Perhaps the one day-to-day situation that impairs peoples' driving more than anything else is trying to find their way through an unfamiliar city. We've all seen drivers trying to find their way, dithering over lanes etc. This affects professional drivers too - lorry drivers and coach drivers, White Van Man, even Mr. Petrolhead in his Ferrari. And we've all probably been in that situation ourself too - approaching a complex junction, hemmed in by traffic, trying to memorise a map and thinking 'Help! Which way do I go?'

I wonder how much 'lost' driving contributes to minor accidents - probably this is a reducing statistic as more people use Satnav. Having said all this, I don't think it's a good idea to have a 'find your way' section in the driving test. The ability to remember the instructions for one route has no bearing on whether you'll be able to remember different instructions for another route on another day.

Just like the changes to the motorbike test., this will help them to get more cash through re-tests. Maybe they could add a sudoku to the test as well, to try and get the revenue up. :rolleyes:

You can be a good driver and a crap navigator.

Guest X-QUORK

A re-test at the age of 80 would be more useful than tinkering with the existing test IMO, not that I think including basic nav skills isn't a good idea.

I think the main priority at the moment is to get dangerous drivers off the road. Tinkering with the driving test won't help very much, since a dangerous driver might have passed their test first time with ease. Dangerous driving is about attitude. Some people think that risk-taking and thrills is part of driving - I met a guy like this once and he was a terrifying driver. These people need to be corrected or prevented from driving.

To combat dangerous driving, I would use more and longer driving bans. After all, if someone is barred from holding a licence in the first place because they can't pass the test or they have a medical condition, it's only fair that those who did pass the test but subsequently exhibit dangerous driving behaviour should have their licence revoked. Causing death by dangerous driving should carry an automatic lifetime driving ban as well as a prison sentence. In less serious situations, a 'three strikes and you're out' rule should apply - if you're disqualified from driving for the third time, it's permanent.

i can drive but cant navigate.

A mate of mine ive just dropped off cant drive at age 30 but knows every street and lane and correct driving discipline in the whole city!

Shall i just give him my license?

Guest X-QUORK

I passed on my second test with about twice as many minors as the first one. Probably with the new rules I'd have failed the test due to having too many minors.

I'm surprised knocking down minors isn't an immediate fail to be honest.

They're extra points.

I thought Priests on bikes were worth the most?

You can place all the bans in the world on a person, but that still wont stop someone driving. Getting a licence has certainly become very convoluted over the last ten years..

I thought Priests on bikes were worth the most?

You can place all the bans in the world on a person, but that still wont stop someone driving. Getting a licence has certainly become very convoluted over the last ten years..

Pregnant policewoman on a horse on a pedestrian crossing for me!

Your point is unfortunately all too true - people (young men especially) will just drive while disqualified (& therefore without insurance either)

Your point is unfortunately all too true - people (young men especially) will just drive while disqualified (& therefore without insurance either)

Come along now, we all know this kind of thing is about getting the maximum amount of money out of the law abiding majority.

I drove down what is apparently one of the most dangerous roads in the UK last week. A9 from Inverness to Perth. I realised one thing. The road is not dangerous. It was perfectly fine. Idiotic fannies who I would not trust in a go kart trying to overtake a truck around a corner at 80mph are the problem.

And most of these fannies are males. This may sound nasty but I dont care. I hope they die in a horrific ONE MAN road accident as soon as possible. Better than continiung to drive this way and taking other people out on the way.

I was truly shocked by some of the driving. Really really unbelievable.

I drove down what is apparently one of the most dangerous roads in the UK last week. A9 from Inverness to Perth. I realised one thing. The road is not dangerous. It was perfectly fine. Idiotic fannies who I would not trust in a go kart trying to overtake a truck around a corner at 80mph are the problem.

Too right. People are constantly demanding that vast amounts of money should be spent to upgrade the "notorious" A9 to dual carriageway along its entire length because it's such a dangerous road. It doesn't seem to occur to them that the problem could be solved if people would just take it easy.

Too right. People are constantly demanding that vast amounts of money should be spent to upgrade the "notorious" A9 to dual carriageway along its entire length because it's such a dangerous road. It doesn't seem to occur to them that the problem could be solved if people would just take it easy.

I was on it for barely 1 hour and there were at least 3 incidents that could have ended in multiple deaths. I could have been one of them. Hence my perhaps over the top hatred of these chumps.

One guy just kept on zooming up to overtake and then ramming to the left once he saw a car in his way. Basically barging anyone out of the way who was driving properly. He did this for a couple of miles that I saw and round blind corners and everything. Someone that disrespectful to the lives of others deserves to die. In a horrific one man accident of course.

Like yourself I actually think the A9 is a quality road. Take 10% of the drivers off it and it would be quite pleasant to drive on.

I was on it for barely 1 hour and there were at least 3 incidents that could have ended in multiple deaths. I could have been one of them. Hence my perhaps over the top hatred of these chumps.

It's a couple of years since I was last on it, and then only as a passenger. It's not an experience I'm eager to repeat. Fancy cycling along it?

It's a couple of years since I was last on it, and then only as a passenger. It's not an experience I'm eager to repeat. Fancy cycling along it?

I was actually thinking that as I went along. I honestly would not do it for 100k. The fact I saw not one bike the whole way down backs that up. There is a back way cycle route that goes a similar way though, saw wee signs all over. Could be nice. Think it was route 7.

I was actually thinking that as I went along. I honestly would not do it for 100k. The fact I saw not one bike the whole way down backs that up. There is a back way cycle route that goes a similar way though, saw wee signs all over. Could be nice. Think it was route 7.

Back in the late 80's I used to cycle along quite long sections of the A9 between Stirling and Perth. That's not as bad as some parts, but still nothing would make me do it these days.