House Price Crash Forum
helenreed

Large Detached House - £12,000

At lunchtime I often glance in the local EAs windows to see what's coming on, see if certain houses are reduced, see what has apparently sold etc. etc.

Today I saw in a prominent central position a rather large detached house priced at £12,000 BUT it is in Detroit! They had three in all for sale. The one at 12 grand has a tenant but it did not state was rent was being paid. If I hadn't been in such a hurry I would have got the details to post here. May pop in tomorrow and get them. I have sometimes seen the odd Spanish villa tucked in estate agents windows here but never three properties in Detroit. I was gobsmacked.

It was weird though because the Detroit places looked very large and, at first glance, appeared to be a bargain when placed next to run down shoddy looking terraces here in the south east at £180,000+.

At lunchtime I often glance in the local EAs windows to see what's coming on, see if certain houses are reduced, see what has apparently sold etc. etc.

Today I saw in a prominent central position a rather large detached house priced at £12,000 BUT it is in Detroit! They had three in all for sale. The one at 12 grand has a tenant but it did not state was rent was being paid. If I hadn't been in such a hurry I would have got the details to post here. May pop in tomorrow and get them. I have sometimes seen the odd Spanish villa tucked in estate agents windows here but never three properties in Detroit. I was gobsmacked.

It was weird though because the Detroit places looked very large and, at first glance, appeared to be a bargain when placed next to run down shoddy looking terraces here in the south east at £180,000+.

they are worthless. They are knocking them down because no one wants them. There was a thread on Detroit here a few weeks ago. I posted a google streetview picture of on that was mentioned in an article. Can't be arsed to find the thread and post a link.

they are worthless. They are knocking them down because no one wants them. There was a thread on Detroit here a few weeks ago. I posted a google streetview picture of on that was mentioned in an article. Can't be arsed to find the thread and post a link.

Dont be daft, savy investors will be snapping up these properties in these emerging markets you should buy one now before you miss such a fantastic opportunity to get on the ladder. After all one cannot lose with property its value only ever goes up.

(joking btw)

Of course they are worthless. I was just so shocked to see them in a local agents window. I assume some local person had 'invested' and now wanted out.

This is a sign of just how demented Britain's attitude is towards the property market.

We're so gullible they're trying to palm off trash from other countries.

This is a sign of just how demented Britain's attitude is towards the property market.

We're so gullible they're trying to palm off trash from other countries.

Mad innit?

Although I recall whole streets of houses in Leeds being tramped in the mid/late 90s because no one wanted them. A school friend's brother had bought them all up for next to nothing in the hope of a profit and got nothing back from when they were bulldozed.

They built council houses on the land that have since been trashed by the tenants,

£12k is a total rip off for Detroit. It would still be too expensive if it was offered for £1.20, and I'm not exagerating.

Suprised they are trying to dump this in the UK must as you say be someone local if they are advertising in the estate agents.

The mills/tax would be at least $6,000 a year plus the cost of repairing it to meet code and violations such as the neighbours dumping

a car in your yard.

£12k is a total rip off for Detroit. It would still be too expensive if it was offered for £1.20, and I'm not exagerating.

Depends where it is in Detriot of course but, in parts of the city, houses have negative values as rental properties when you factor in the property tax liability and the low chance of finding a tenant (or, at least, one at a price that would cover the tax).