House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyOne

An Honest Ea ...... The Type Of Person ......

Not all EAs are bad people. This is from an EA overseas who is pretty honest about what will happen next. I am not a buyer at these price levels but, when it is time to buy, I know who I will call first.

I thought I would start with a quick response regarding the market. You will know a lot of this already but I will recap in case you have missed some of it from abroad.

Real Estate peaked here summer of 2008 and then abruptly came to a standstill. The market was literally at a crawl while people waited to see if the sky really was falling. The average price dropped about 15% between August 2008 and early 2009. About April 2009 the market picked up again and we had a very steady year through December 2009. In fact December 09 was one of the busiest on record. During that time we regained the majority of the price drop. Expectations were that the spring would continue on a steady pace.

We had the usual slow down in January and February. What we didn't expect was that March, April, May and now into June would be so slow. New listings continue to be brisk and there are buyers out there but they are very hesitant to put pen to paper. The general attitude is "if I miss this one there will be another". The pressure is there for the market to slide a bit. Sellers are being a bit slow to react but I think it is coming and I expect prices to fall over the next 6 months or so. It is very hard to say after that.

Not all EAs are bad people. This is from an EA overseas who is pretty honest about what will happen next. I am not a buyer at these price levels but, when it is time to buy, I know who I will call first.

who is this? Where is it from, link? What country?

That is one speedy 15% drop.

Edited by Pent Up FTBer

Is this in London? I know you were looking in London in the past...

Intermediation = Lying. Never trust an estate agent, I should know, trained at misleading buyers and sometimes sellers. Nothing has changed. Now as bent as ever, even many buying and selling property.

Edited by fallingbuzzard

I would say that a very large number of EA's will give you good information,

if you develop a relationship with them (paying them a commission from transactions helps),

and show that you are an intelligent person, with your own thought-out understanding

of the market.

Since I bought 10 properties in HK, and have now sold 8, I have spread my business around,

and developed some excellent relationships with 2 or 3 Agents here in HK.

I do believe that they are very straight with me now, since they often tell me things that

may be against their own potential interest in doing quick deals.

Also, I have "sniffed out a few rats" as well, and I am now very careful in my dealings with

"the rats."

Gosh, Blubb, do you have properties in Hong Kong Dong then?

ALL HAIL SPLINE!

SPLINE = THE NEW BUBB!

I would say that a very large number of EA's will give you good information,

if you develop a relationship with them (paying them a commission from transactions helps),

and show that you are an intelligent person, with your own thought-out understanding

of the market.

Since I bought 10 properties in HK, and have now sold 8, I have spread my business around,

and developed some excellent relationships with 2 or 3 Agents here in HK.

I do believe that they are very straight with me now, since they often tell me things that

may be against their own potential interest in doing quick deals.

Also, I have "sniffed out a few rats" as well, and I am now very careful in my dealings with

"the rats."

Doesn't that then make you a property speculator: in which case I presume your interest in this site does not revolve

around a genuine concern about the high economic and social cost of HPI, but more in looking for signs of HPC so you

know when to sneak in and buy some bargains to perhaps build up a UK BTL portfolio?

Doesn't that then make you a property speculator: in which case I presume your interest in this site does not revolve

around a genuine concern about the high economic and social cost of HPI, but more in looking for signs of HPC so you

know when to sneak in and buy some bargains to perhaps build up a UK BTL portfolio?

A lot of people on here understand that:

a ) high housing costs damage the economy/younger generation, but

b ) someone has to provide rental accomodation as there is will always be demand for rental

There is a significant difference between hoarding property on the hopes of capital gains when the yields do not make sense, and purchasing property as part of a diversified portfolio when yields are 12%+.

arnt we all speculating by holding out for lower prices rather than buying now?