House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Prince Charlie - Asks Housing Developers..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10210553.stm

The Prince of Wales has called on housing developers to consider whether they would live in their own sites.

Prince Charles said the idea was a basic rule of thumb for home builders, as he addressed councillors and planners at Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh.

He warned against projects such as one in Somerset where the local authority insisted affordable housing should be separate rather than mixed in.

He said his Foundation for the Built Environment tried a different approach.

Complex art

The Prince told the Scottish Government's chief planner, Jim Mackinnon, and representatives from the country's 32 local authorities few were creating fully sustainable places.

He said: "Place-making is an incredibly complex art. When people talk glibly about sustainable communities, there are very few people that can actually make that happen because it requires a lot of effort, it requires a lot of learning, it requires a lot of experience.

"I hate to say this, but I will, and that is that at the end of the day my foundation is about the only one, certainly in this country, trying to encourage a revised approach.

"So often it seems to me the rule books drawn up in the 1950s-60s have become less than perhaps appropriate for the situation and the challenges we now face.

"Rule books, for road engineers in particular, so often mean at the end of the day that you can only produce another housing estate, not an actual community of place."

Ayrshire praise

At one housing development in Somerset he said a "mini Berlin wall" was being built between the housing areas because of problems associated with the lower-cost scheme.

He said: "There are just one or two basic rules of thumb worth remembering.

"First of all is: would I live in or next to the development? I keep saying to house-builders and developers, where do you live? Would you live next to, or in view of, the places you build?

"Not a bad test at the end of the day."

Charles held up a scheme in east Ayrshire as an example of good planning.

Knockroon, which will extend Cumnock with a mix of low-cost and other types of housing, has been awarded "exemplar status" for its approach.

Edited by zagreb78

Guest happy?

Am I the only person who thinks the vile Poundbury housing estate in Dorchester looks like Trumpton.

Am I the only person who thinks the vile Poundbury housing estate in Dorchester looks like Trumpton.

The Firestation was up for the "Carbuncle Cup"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/architecture/6127965/Carbuncle-Cup-the-ugliest-buildings-in-Britain.html

buildingrunner3don_1475189i.jpg

Fire station, Poundbury

Carden Croft & Co

This latest addition to the Prince of Wales’s model village in Dorset attracted media criticism this year, much to the amusement of Britain’s architects. The reader who nominated the project said: “There’s only one building that looks like it’s been dreamt up by an unimaginative primary school pupil on a wet afternoon on the last day of term — HRH’s Camberwick Green fire station.”

Nope.

Poundbury looks like and, sadly, is a cartoon estate

This is the first time I've looked at Poundbury. It's obviously not perfect, but as high density housing goes I'd rather live in Poundbury than a council high rise or new build shoe box.

Therefore Poundbury gets the thumbs up from me.

Sorry :ph34r:

This is the first time I've looked at Poundbury. It's obviously not perfect, but as high density housing goes I'd rather live in Poundbury than a council high rise or new build shoe box.

Therefore Poundbury gets the thumbs up from me.

Sorry :ph34r:

Hmmm...I've driven around it a fair few times, and I can well imagine that there's a fair amount of snobby middle class, middle aged ppl who live there.. Plus, pushing £200k for a 2 bed flat for effectively a poncy part of Dorchester is indescribably barmy..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15748005.html

This site is a bit weird sometimes.

We spend ages moaning about slave boxes built for maximum profit but when someone spends a bit of time building a nice, traditional community focused development with jobs attached, he gets called a twit.

Poundbury looks 100x better than most of the development that has taken place over the last two decades, perhaps it is the egotistical architects all hell bent on making a name for themselves by turning every development into a Gugenheim or Burj hotel that is the problem.

The same masters of taste and design that gave us these delights:

Millennium_dome.jpg

CentralLibrary.jpg

Brutalistlondon.jpg

Tower_Block_4_web.jpg

PUblic10-9400.jpg

Portcullis_house_london.jpg

2728398844_f2a96abdaf.jpg

OCL_001.jpg

Call me a royalist, but I'm with HRH. Our old stuff is ten times better than the shite that is getting built at the moment...

Call me a royalist, but I'm with HRH. Our old stuff is ten times better than the shite that is getting built at the moment...

I'm a republican, but I agree with you 100%

I really have to disagree with you all over this one. The development is a big success. The housing is attractive, well designed and people want to live there. There is no significant reported crime and people feel part of a community. I pass throught the place every day, and often think it might be a good idea buying one of the 4 story town houses.

Charlie has a point. Most developments lack imagination. Poundbury is not a dumbed down cheap knock'em up place.

So come on guys. Give the bloke a break. At least he is making an effort to produce an environment where people want to live.

For reasons that I do not understand, we seem to have lost the ability to build well for the long term.

Maybe it's only the tests of time that can sort the construction wheat from the chaff.

But the Twits Trumpton response is abject surrender to this failure.

I think we need to keep working at it until we can push through to some quality work rather than sludging around in some pastiche of the past.

And the concrete problem should be solved with virginia creeper.

Hanging gardens of Basildon for everyone.

Aaahhhh ....

It makes me think of Lowry.

This site is a bit weird sometimes.

At least the twit stands up and challenges.

Finished business before lunch last week and decided to visit Totnes. Still has its medieval street plan and many old facades. Spent the afternoon strolling about and wondering why it's the most pleasant town I've visited in the UK - superior version of Winchester. Everything feels close, traffic is kept on the fringe, small shops, winding streets, nothing garish, and the loudest sound is conversation.

Then I thought of Basingstoke, which has been replaced almost entirely with ... the shopping mall from hell. Uuuurgh.

Having lived a mile from Poundbury I would be happy to say to Prince Charles that I would never live in that hideous disfunctional estate that he has dumped like a giant turd on the Dorset countryside if he paid me.

Trumpton? It feels more like being on the set of the Truman Show if you spend any time there.

Guest sillybear2

"The Prince of Wales has called on housing developers to consider whether they would live in their own sites."

Says the man who lives and works in Poundbury :lol:

He's right though, these people don't eat their own dog food. For example, Lord Rogers' urban taskforce advocated packing everyone into high density chicken coops, and this became government policy, he himself lives in two knocked through georgian mansions in Belgravia, so clearly a man of high principle.

As for Charlie's description of a "mini Berlin wall" separating out social housing, well he likes to keep well away from the chavs doesn't he, I guess that's why people take out huge mortgages for slaveboxes, to move away!

Edited by sillybear2

I really have to disagree with you all over this one. The development is a big success. The housing is attractive, well designed and people want to live there. There is no significant reported crime and people feel part of a community. I pass throught the place every day, and often think it might be a good idea buying one of the 4 story town houses.

Charlie has a point. Most developments lack imagination. Poundbury is not a dumbed down cheap knock'em up place.

So come on guys. Give the bloke a break. At least he is making an effort to produce an environment where people want to live.

The design and layout is fundementally flawed. If you want to visit the wine shop, and the store and the butchers(which is now closed) and the hairdressers, you practically need to get in your car in order to visit them all, as it has no high street, no centre and no heart. The place is a mess.

Having lived a mile from Poundbury I would be happy to say to Prince Charles that I would never live in that hideous disfunctional estate that he has dumped like a giant turd on the Dorset countryside if he paid me.

Trumpton? It feels more like being on the set of the Truman Show if you spend any time there.

Nah - That's just a daft statement. People want to live there. Enough said.

The design and layout is fundementally flawed. If you want to visit the wine shop, and the store and the butchers(which is now closed) and the hairdressers, you practically need to get in your car in order to visit them all, as it has no high street, no centre and no heart. The place is a mess.

Why do you need a car to walk a few yards?

Guest sillybear2

People also just want a roof over their heads, most people don't set about making an architectural statement. Is Poundbury any worse than other places? Of course not, but with new build the bar is set very low and the place is inoffensive enough, provided you can deal with the gravel.

But why do ppl want to live there? Its because you can brag, no doubt to your middle class, middle aged friends, that you live in Poundbury. It's supposedly an exclusive area/address, but I don't buy it. Its a way of adding a rather large premium on to the price, by claiming that its exclusive and tagging Charles's name to it.

Look at this...£500k!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25448209.html?premiumA=true

You could get a lovely cottage nearer the coast for that sort of dosh..

Edited by zagreb78

If that's the best (or worst) they can come up with, they should think themselves lucky.

One of the main problems with that Fire Station, is that it completely out of place..you can't help notice it, as you come up the hill, and towards the Martinstown roundabout at the top.. Even McDonalds were forced to hide itself (which is located over the other side of the roundabout, and behind a load of trees)....

Here's a view you get of Poundbury, when you get off the Martinstown roundabout.. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=poundbury&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Poundbury,+Dorchester,+Dorset,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ei=MTQITPPCB4vy0gSW1sVq&ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&ll=50.712113,-2.473125&spn=0.025381,0.077162&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=50.712125,-2.472775&panoid=5GU8Zr0q9Ion5iV7ek5IbQ&cbp=12,45,,0,5

Its a strange mish-mash of buildings, and opposite, there's a strange bypass, which bypasses a chunk of Poundbury. It doesn't really work.

Edited by zagreb78

But why do ppl want to live there? Its because you can brag, no doubt to your middle class, middle aged friends, that you live in Poundbury. It's supposedly an exclusive area/address, but I don't buy it. Its a way of adding a rather large premium on to the price, by claiming that its exclusive and tagging Charles's name to it.

Look at this...£500k!!!

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

You could get a lovely cottage nearer the coast for that sort of dosh..

And the problem with being middle class is.......?

And the problem with being middle class is.......?

Its the greasy, social climbers I can't stand, as Billy Connolly summaries..

Edited by zagreb78