House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Authoritarian

Dumping Eu Produce In Africa

Apparently, due to the distortions that the CAP creates we produce far more food than we actually need and then set about dumping the surpluses in Africa at below cost price.

I don't see what the problem is, not from the African perspective anyway. They get a load of cheap food, subsidised by the hardworking EU taxpayer.

So why do so many people whittle on about the poor Africans and the nasty EU? If the boot was on the other foot I wouldn't mind, they could 'distort our markets' all they wanted if it meant that I was able to get hold of food at half it's current price. It was also release tens of thousands of farm workers from the land and they could start producing something else. It would make us richer.

It sounds like another piece of crap economic propaganda that everyone has bought into because it involves starving Africans.

Edited by Chef

Apparently, due to the distorions that the CAP creates we produce far more food than we actually need and then set about dumping the surpluses in Africa at below cost price.

I don't see what the problem is, not from the African perspective anyway. They get a load of cheap food, subsidised by the hardworking EU taxpayer.

So why do so many people whittle on about the poor Africans and the nasty EU? If the boot was on the other foot I wouldn't mind, they could 'distort our markets' all they wanted if it meant that I was able to get hold of food at half it's current price. It was also release tens of thousands of farm workers from the land and they could start producing somthing else. It would make us richer.

It sounds like another piece of crap economic propaganda that everyone has bought into because it involves starving Africans.

You sir, sound like a bigot, or a fool.

Most of Africa does not operate as democracy in the sense you know of, this food ends up in the hands of the few, who use it as a weapon.

Dumping EU grown, and EU subsidised, produce at below market value in Africa puts the local farmers out of business.

How are Africans ever meant to grow their own food if we keeping dumping it on then at a cost below that of production ?

How are Africans ever meant to grow their own food if we keeping dumping it on then at a cost below that of production ?

Why would they need to if they can it from us more cheaply?

You sir, sound like a bigot, or a fool.

Most of Africa does not operate as democracy in the sense you know of, this food ends up in the hands of the few, who use it as a weapon.

Dumping EU grown, and EU subsidised, produce at below market value in Africa puts the local farmers out of business.

Are you suggesting that a protectionist Africa would increase the national wealth?

When does this policy ever work?

It maybe naive but instead of dumping subsidised food we should be over there getting more work for our engineers.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=971082&page=5

More change recently in Africa than from decades of charity and handouts, for instance Sudan completing a $2 Billion hydroelectric dam

now fully operational since March which aslo provides irrigation so rainfall isn't such a massive problem.

khaz5.jpg

Or the construction of freeways, bridges and hospitals (some private some not). Instead of donating a water well to help a village they build a desalination plant

for a city.

Edited by Northwest Smith

Stop posting this vile crap on here.

Mods, please punt this thread.

Why? This echoes the problem we have with China drowning us with cheap tat. Is it good? bad?

It maybe naive but instead of dumping subsidised food we should be over there getting more work for our engineers.

http://www.skyscrape...t=971082&page=5

More change recently in Africa than from decades of charity and handouts, for instance Sudan completing a $2 Billion hydroelectric dam

now fully operational since March which aslo provides irrigation so rainfall isn't such a massive problem.

khaz5.jpg

Or the construction of freeways, bridges and hospitals (some private some not). Instead of donating a water well to help a village they build a desalination plant

for a city.

more debt they cant repay.

more debt they cant repay.

They have oil, better to spend money on stuff than going to war as well as raising their income once

people have access to water food and energy. The Arabs need food just as we need oil.

Why would they need to if they can it from us more cheaply?

If you're signing up to feed the African continent for nothing, for ever, then your plan will work. If you're only offering to ship random surplus so that their farming capability is destroyed, then your plan will lead to starvation and poverty.

~It is the same with second hand clothes. Ever wonder where all these poor Africans get their designer ware from? Well of course second hand from the nice aid agency of course. Only problem was when I was in Uganda they were all moaning that the home grown clothing suppliers were going out of business in droves because nobody wanted there "un branded T shirts and hats."

Aid can do more harm than good.

On the subject of surplus food in the EU due to CAP.

My vote goes for sending it all to Brussels and then the whole commission gets on their knees in the main square and the public are allowed to force feed the surplus them. I quite fancy stuffing 50 portions of Foie Gras down some Eurocrats fat throat whispering "now you now what it feels like." In fact I would pay for the priviledge.

Next year there would be no food surpluses.

The problem is the consistent 'below cost' dumping of food onto the African market, not the occasional bits of food aid for starving Ethiopians.

Most of the countries in Africa don't have robust economies that can afford to import cheap food and export 'something else' to pay for it.

The cheap food undercuts local producers who go bust making the country reliant on EU/US supplies. This food has to be paid for and so debt goes up and up and up.

The resources of the country (like mineral wealth) end up being used to service the debts and to pay for more food trapping the country at subsistence level instead of the wealth from natural resources being used to develop improvements in infrastructure or public services etc.

The 'bleedin heart liberal' food aid, live aid, band aid approach also causes population growth without growth in infrastructure or agriculture to support it or stable government to maintain it. Making the problem worse.

And that is assuming the country is peaceful and not at war with it's neighbours or being run by despots...

If you're signing up to feed the African continent for nothing, for ever, then your plan will work. If you're only offering to ship random surplus so that their farming capability is destroyed, then your plan will lead to starvation and poverty.

Sending over containers full of food doesn't destroy their farming capability. The land labour and capital are still present, it's just that now they've got some cheap produce too.

EU citizens are paying for all this, the Africans only benefit from our folly.

~It is the same with second hand clothes. Ever wonder where all these poor Africans get their designer ware from? Well of course second hand from the nice aid agency of course. Only problem was when I was in Uganda they were all moaning that the home grown clothing suppliers were going out of business in droves because nobody wanted there "un branded T shirts and hats."

Aid can do more harm than good.

If they all have as much clothing as they need then there's no reason to create any more.

Production is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Sending over containers full of food doesn't destroy their farming capability. The land labour and capital are still present, it's just that now they've got some cheap produce too.

EU citizens are paying for all this, the Africans only benefit from our folly.

Yes is does because the indigenous farmers can not sell enough produce to pay for labour over the winter and buy seeds. So the economy dives because of unemployment and no farmer will invest in tractors or labour because the EU will undercut them on price.

The problem is the consistent 'below cost' dumping of food onto the African market, not the occasional bits of food aid for starving Ethiopians.

Most of the countries in Africa don't have robust economies that can afford to import cheap food and export 'something else' to pay for it.

The cheap food undercuts local producers who go bust making the country reliant on EU/US supplies. This food has to be paid for and so debt goes up and up and up.

The resources of the country (like mineral wealth) end up being used to service the debts and to pay for more food trapping the country at subsistence level instead of the wealth from natural resources being used to develop improvements in infrastructure or public services etc.

The 'bleedin heart liberal' food aid, live aid, band aid approach also causes population growth without growth in infrastructure or agriculture to support it or stable government to maintain it. Making the problem worse.

And that is assuming the country is peaceful and not at war with it's neighbours or being run by despots...

A simple question. If we stopped shipping cheap food to Africa would this make their citizens:

a) Wealthier, or

b.) Poorer.

Releasing people from a subsistence lifestyle is the very thing that allows an economy to develop.

Edited by Chef

If they all have as much clothing as they need then there's no reason to create any more.

Production is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Again the clothing manufacturers in Uganda create wealth and work for people that earn money and buy things. Kill this with free clothes you have more unemployment and less money being spent in the economy.

i.e low priced food from the EU and free clothes means servitude in a Nike baseball cap for Africa.

Yes is does because the indigenous farmers can not sell enough produce to pay for labour over the winter and buy seeds. So the economy dives because of unemployment and no farmer will invest in tractors or labour because the EU will undercut them on price.

Where do they get the seeds from?

Again the clothing manufacturers in Uganda create wealth and work for people that earn money and buy things. Kill this with free clothes you have more unemployment and less money being spent in the economy.

i.e low priced food from the EU and free clothes means servitude in a Nike baseball cap for Africa.

Nobody needs 'employment' if they can satisfy their material desires using alternative means.

If large containers full of everything I needed ended up on my doorstep everyday, I wouldn't complain that I no longer required a job.

Entertaining thread in as much that it has so far served only to illustrate that none of the contributors have the foggiest idea of how things work in Africa.

Shame on you guys.

Entertaining thread in as much that it has so far served only to illustrate that none of the contributors have the foggiest idea of how things work in Africa.

Shame on you guys.

Are we supposed to beg or will you tell us.