House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Virtualbox From Sun/oracle

Typing this into Firefox browser running on XP as a virtual machine. My Virtual Box install is running on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 . Might include some screenshots later on!

Surprisingly its pretty useable considering my underlying hardware is only an Acer Aspire One with a 1.3 ghz Atom processor, albeit with 2GB of ram. I've allocated the VM 750MB (the Atom processor supports the virtualisation extenstion though I don't think it makes much difference in terms of performance).

I migrated the XP installation from my old Acer Travelmate, copying the original disc image using dd, then running the VirtualBox command line tools to convert it to a .vdi image. Really I should have defragged the drive beforehand and filled the file system with zero's to try and compress the disc image down from 27GB.

The big mistake I made originally was only copying a single partition with dd (the drive had two partitions). That won't work. You have to copy the entire disk. Its also important that you run a utility called mergeIDE before and XP/Vista/7 install is migrated, because Windows likes to store the underlying hardware information. I still had to revalidate Windows on migration.

I've also cloned the original disk image, and running a copy on a USB drive, but thats a bit of a disapointment, presumably as USB is a bit of an I/O bottleneck. Its still faster to run it all on one hard drive. I wonder how an SD card would do? I'd need a 32GB SD which are a but pricey.

Not sure why I still need Windows. I can do pretty much anything I need in Ubuntu these days especially with the help of Wine. However this netbook is much more usable, now that I've wiped the original Vista install.

So if you are looking to run multiple OS's perhaps give VirtualBox OSE a try. I don't know how much the closed source edition is as every time I've checked the Sun/Oracle shopping cart displays an error.

Not sure quite how VirtualBox compares with other virtualisation products, VMWare, Parallels and so on. I'm a bit behind the times on virtualisation developments. I'd like to have a bash at installing Chrome OS in a Virtual machine!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Do you think you'll ever get married?

Guest happy?

Typing this into Firefox browser running on XP as a virtual machine. My Virtual Box install is running on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 . Might include some screenshots later on!

Surprisingly its pretty useable considering my underlying hardware is only an Acer Aspire One with a 1.3 ghz Atom processor, albeit with 2GB of ram. I've allocated the VM 750MB (the Atom processor supports the virtualisation extenstion though I don't think it makes much difference in terms of performance).

I migrated the XP installation from my old Acer Travelmate, copying the original disc image using dd, then running the VirtualBox command line tools to convert it to a .vdi image. Really I should have defragged the drive beforehand and filled the file system with zero's to try and compress the disc image down from 27GB.

The big mistake I made originally was only copying a single partition with dd (the drive had two partitions). That won't work. You have to copy the entire disk. Its also important that you run a utility called mergeIDE before and XP/Vista/7 install is migrated, because Windows likes to store the underlying hardware information. I still had to revalidate Windows on migration.

I've also cloned the original disk image, and running a copy on a USB drive, but thats a bit of a disapointment, presumably as USB is a bit of an I/O bottleneck. Its still faster to run it all on one hard drive. I wonder how an SD card would do? I'd need a 32GB SD which are a but pricey.

Not sure why I still need Windows. I can do pretty much anything I need in Ubuntu these days especially with the help of Wine. However this netbook is much more usable, now that I've wiped the original Vista install.

So if you are looking to run multiple OS's perhaps give VirtualBox OSE a try. I don't know how much the closed source edition is as every time I've checked the Sun/Oracle shopping cart displays an error.

Not sure quite how VirtualBox compares with other virtualisation products, VMWare, Parallels and so on. I'm a bit behind the times on virtualisation developments. I'd like to have a bash at installing Chrome OS in a Virtual machine!

I knew a girl called Pandora - never got to see her virtual box...

I've been using VMWare free version to run Windoze for the single app that won't work under Wine (Kubuntu9.10). Funny thing is, on this hardware, my antique Windows2000 will not work in any other than archaic 640x480 16 colours and tells me to upgrade to a new version of Windows, but in VMWare I get the full monitor resolution and colour depth, and a screen that's exactly like the Windows desktop - because that's what it is. I can't see any significant speed penalties either.

I've been using VMWare free version to run Windoze for the single app that won't work under Wine (Kubuntu9.10). Funny thing is, on this hardware, my antique Windows2000 will not work in any other than archaic 640x480 16 colours and tells me to upgrade to a new version of Windows, but in VMWare I get the full monitor resolution and colour depth, and a screen that's exactly like the Windows desktop - because that's what it is. I can't see any significant speed penalties either.

I think I have a hard drive somewhere from an old Dell desktop which should still have Win 98 on it. I might have to dd that and boot it as a VM :lol: Gotta keep these vintage OS's running!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I think I have a hard drive somewhere from an old Dell desktop which should still have Win 98 on it. I might have to dd that and boot it as a VM :lol: Gotta keep these vintage OS's running!

Windows 3.1 is pretty nippy in VMWare fusion.

I should have added, Kubuntu and WIN2K under VMware are both installed on a 40G SSD, only 12G used as far as I can see. Kubuntu boots in about 12 seconds from the Grub bootloader screen, VMWare/WIN2K takes a bit less time than when I used to run it under similar hardware (except from a Hard drive) as the main OS. I tried putting Linux on a USB stick, but I think the writes slow it down considerably - it was faster than booting from a CD, but nowhere near as good as booting from a hard drive.

virtual pc on windows 7 is rather good, as it finaly has true hardware virtualisation support. This laptop can run 4 or 5 virtual machines at the same time without breaking too much sweat. If I ever get time I will put linux on one, I tried to install open solaris but that didnt work :(