House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Deflation --Its Already Here

You could ask a load of bankers what they thought was happening - or/and you could ask a load of lorry drivers, postmen, unemployed folks, academics, students etc etc.

Which is more valid?

The bankers have no idea what they're doing, so they'd be the last people you would ask.

Whether or not the loan happened, surely it's rational to say "I'd like to give up 1/3 of my earnings for the next 25 years in exchange for a house at the end"?

Yes, that's a much saner proposition than paying 6 months wages for an abode outright.

If the two offers were both on the table, I'd take yours. But they're not, so I understand why people take out a mortgage. Or are you offering me your house for £15k?

Before banking there were no 25 year mortgages, just barons who owned all the land and charged the peasants rent. The idea of haves and have-nots is not pleasant, but is not new.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

If the two offers were both on the table, I'd take yours. But they're not, so I understand why people take out a mortgage. Or are you offering me your house for £15k?

Before banking there were no 25 year mortgages, just barons who owned all the land and charged the peasants rent. The idea of haves and have-nots is not pleasant, but is not new.

And doesn't have to be the case.

In fact it won't. We're all buggered.