House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Nationwide Hpi May 2010 +0.5%

The society said the three-monthly rate of growth, which gives a better guide to the underlying market trends than a single month's figures, showed a 1.7% rise in prices, up from a 1.1% rise in April.

notice how they are quoting the 3 month growth rate again now it's nicely positive.

I wonder if the headlines will be "house price inflation drops to 9.8%" I doubt it.

0.5% interest rates, £200 bn of new money, a whole host of tax-payer funded "special liquidity" and "home owner support" schemes, almost 3 years on and house prices are still 10% below their 2007 peak.

With swingeing cuts, austerity measures and an emergency budget on the way, hands up if you think they'll close that 10% gap by the end of next year.

0.5% interest rates, £200 bn of new money, a whole host of tax-payer funded "special liquidity" and "home owner support" schemes, almost 3 years on and house prices are still 10% below their 2007 peak.

With swingeing cuts, austerity measures and an emergency budget on the way, hands up if you think they'll close that 10% gap by the end of next year.

It would appear there is no end to this maddness...so quite likely it will end soon.

I'd say go and buy a house on the back of this if it werent for the fact that the sample data is tiny and those 6 blokes that bought a house at an over-the-odds price arent doing anyone any favours :lol:

notice how they are quoting the 3 month growth rate again now it's nicely positive.

I wonder if the headlines will be "house price inflation drops to 9.8%" I doubt it.

Just seen a piece on the BBC, we are clearly in the holding period now where the VI's do not want to be reporting rampant hpi or hpc crash. They clearly need the distribution phase to go on a bit longer to help recapitalise the banks.

HPI is our only hope as a nation and the government, of whatever persuasion, knows it. Without ongoing inflation in this area owners will not be able to take out equity lines of credit to further stimulate the economy and banks will not profit unless more debt is taken on.

The downside to a reversal in inflation in house prices would mean another HPC with repossessions increasing and banks losing even more public money. The huge BTL industry would also suffer causing more bankruptcies and hardship for a number of entrepreneurs and their lenders.

It is vital that momentum in prices is maintained for the sake of our economy. As house prices go so does everything else. Bottom line: we are HPI dependent.

Looks more like late 2003 to me.

I feel a desperate need to jump in to the market.

Therefore, I hope, as the last bear standing, this does genuinely signal the turn.

Tough times for all.

You are not the last bear standing.

I feel no need to jump into the market, quite the reverse in fact. I don't think I'm alone either ;).

Looks more like late 2003 to me.

I feel a desperate need to jump in to the market.

Therefore, I hope, as the last bear standing, this does genuinely signal the turn.

Tough times for all.

these are tough times. But I got some reassurance from mrs FTB this morning. It's only 0.5% down from 1.1% last month. If prices continue

to rise at a rate of 0.5% per month our combined savings are enough to keep up with the rise and improve our LTV. In our case we are better off waiting as long as possible. We won't be giving up any time yet.

The more pessimistic Halifax is due out tomorrow (probably) so hopefully should give us some more hope.

Nationwide's chief economist, Martin Gahbauer, said that the house price rises were being driven upwards by a continuing scarcity of properties for sale. "The current supply-demand balance on the market is still consistent with relatively stable to modestly upward trending prices," he said.

how long can this keep pushing up prices? I know for a fact in Chelmsford Essex there is more supply than demand as stock on tr Market is increasing daily. Also go to MSE forum and read the "for those selling in these difficult times thread" they are all desperate! all talking about how much they have reduced the price and still no viewings and no offers.

I thought this would be the month that it would feed into prices but maybe another one or two to wait for nationwide.

It is vital that momentum in prices is maintained for the sake of our economy. As house prices go so does everything else. Bottom line: we are HPI dependent.

And yet that which is unsustainable will not be sustained. See Japan, USA, Ireland, Spain...

You are not the last bear standing.

I feel no need to jump into the market, quite the reverse in fact. I don't think I'm alone either ;).

You are not alone. Nonsense that persists for a long time doesn't become sensible, rather it becomes greater nonsense.

Just seen a piece on the BBC, we are clearly in the holding period now where the VI's do not want to be reporting rampant hpi or hpc crash. They clearly need the distribution phase to go on a bit longer to help recapitalise the banks.

I noticed that, no longer do we get the "House prices are up, back of the net! result!" type reporting on the BBC. Now it seems they are worried that reporting HPI as a positive might encourage more people to pile in (if there are that many people waiting on the sidelines) and start another bubble.

these are tough times. But I got some reassurance from mrs FTB this morning. It's only 0.5% down from 1.1% last month. If prices continue

to rise at a rate of 0.5% per month our combined savings are enough to keep up with the rise and improve our LTV. In our case we are better off waiting as long as possible. We won't be giving up any time yet.

The more pessimistic Halifax is due out tomorrow (probably) so hopefully should give us some more hope.

surely you'd be needing an account paying 6%+ for that, do they exist?

We shouldn't forget that the Nationwide's share of the mortgage market has fallen to 9% (I think) and that the Nationwide has been targetting low risk mortgage borrowers (i.e. those with hefty deposits & probably going for good quality property stock). Anyone know what Nationwide's share of the mortgage market was previously?

Also there has been a a very large surge in properties coming on the market in the last few weeks which will be altering the supply/demand balance in the market significantly - but it wil take a few months to show up in the House Price Indexes.

Are these average figures for all types of houses? Could it be that during the property slump, a bigger proportion of properties the market were small (e.g. BTL flats), driving down the average price, and now there's a bigger proportion of luxury homes. From what I see locally, expensive desirable houses (£750K+)have carved out a market of their own, with prices rocketing, while the rest of the market stays flat.