House Price Crash Forum
keeprenting

Cgt On Property Must Be Increased

As I see it, CGT on property must be increased unless the Lib Dems back down. It is not open to the Tories to introduce exemptions or reliefs for gains on property without the Lib Dems' consent.

The coalition agreement states that "We will seek ways of taxing non-business capital gains at rates similar or close to those applied to income, with generous exemptions for entrepreneurial business activities."

Admittedly there is only an obligation to "seek ways" to tax non-business capital gains, which is pretty hopeless - could the Tories say they have "sought ways" to increase CGT but couldn't find any?

But the key point is this. There is absolutely nothing in that agreement about introducing exemptions for a "hard working family" with a second home. So, subject to the point above, the Tories could not introduce such an exemption without the Lib Dems' consent.

"We will seek ways of taxing non-business capital gains at rates similar or close to those applied to income, with generous exemptions for entrepreneurial business activities."

I didn't know about this convention. This is actually a very good objective!

I've emailed Cameron, Cable, Osborne, the Treasury, and my own MP (a Cabinet member) on this matter.

Every single reply I've had contains this wording as standard. This is clearly the route they are going to take - except they seem to be weakening on taper relief for the BTL scumbags.

Interestingly, my own MP for Farnham pointed out that I was a "lone voice compared with the concerns my other constituents are raising," which apparently implied that all the greedy, hubristic, boomer-b@stards are right, and I'm wrong for some reason.

I wonder how he'll balance his role as MP for "Greedy Boomer Central," with his Cabinet role which means he presumably is acting on behalf of the whole nation.

Good luck with that one, Jezzer... ;)

B

I've emailed Cameron, Cable, Osborne, the Treasury, and my own MP (a Cabinet member) on this matter.

Every single reply I've had contains this wording as standard. This is clearly the route they are going to take - except they seem to be weakening on taper relief for the BTL scumbags.

Interestingly, my own MP for Farnham pointed out that I was a "lone voice compared with the concerns my other constituents are raising," which apparently implied that all the greedy, hubristic, boomer-b@stards are right, and I'm wrong for some reason.

I wonder how he'll balance his role as MP for "Greedy Boomer Central," with his Cabinet role - which means he presumably is acting on behalf of the whole nation.

Good luck with that one, Jezzer... ;)

B

The amount of lobbying from inflation VIs at all levels never ceases to amaze me. What a sad state of affairs that addicted gamblers could have such influence on our country.

Sounds about right - wouldn't it be nice if they represented the interests of the majority of their consituents rather the few who shout the loudest. Ask him how many people would be caught by capital gains above the 10k allowance, all this affecting ordinary people is nonsense.

Sounds about right - wouldn't it be nice if they represented the interests of the majority of their consituents rather the few who shout the loudest. Ask him how many people would be caught by capital gains above the 10k allowance, all this affecting ordinary people is nonsense.

Yes but this is just it. We need to be the people who shout the loudest. Keep writing to your MPs to get your voice heard.

What e-mail addresses did you use as i'm struggling to find clegg, cameron and the treasuary (I know I saw it on here somewhere!)

MPs' email addresses are all on the parliament.uk website and are easy enough to guess. Nick Clegg's is cleggn@parliament.uk. Redwood's is redwoodj@parliament.uk. David Davis' is davisd@parliament.uk.

http://news.parliament.uk/biographies/nick-clegg/27859