House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Tactics And Mind Games For Taking On Your Boss

My boss is starting to irritate me and I can feel a row brewing - just slightly with dirty little looks, and passive aggression in front of clients whilst being nice to your face. Whilst I would dearly love to ask her what her problem is - I get to the feeling she will run crying to her bosses and deny there is anything wrong - perhaps thats what she wants. We had one occasion where I shouted about certain things to her, so perhaps she is getting me back. I am surrounded by managers at work, who it appears manage little, but then as soon as their in front on clients or their bosses they are busy posing as managers - I suppose I should not be suprised it seems to be rife in corporate culture these days.

Whilst I am all for showing respect to the boss - there are bosses that disrespect anyone below them.

Are there any good ways - of just subtly getting gaining an edge over them - but no so much that they get rid of you, or would it be better to just make an effort to get on with them.

One good tactic I find is to always try to look more important in front of clients, or anyone important - generally get more attention than them and do your job better - that really gets under their skin. Or another one if they say something, then say it back in a better way as if it was your idea.

Or what about just backstabbing them to their bosses. for where they are not doing their job properly - its high risk. I am fairly new, so I go behind their back and they find out, I might be seen as a backstabbing type(which I am not), but i have been around long enough to know that you have to play dirty to get ahead and face the pain, and live in the real world. Who know they could be doing it to me.

My boss is starting to irritate me and I can feel a row brewing - just slightly with dirty little looks, and passive aggression in front of clients whilst being nice to your face. Whilst I would dearly love to ask her what her problem is - I get to the feeling she will run crying to her bosses and deny there is anything wrong - perhaps thats what she wants. We had one occasion where I shouted about certain things to her, so perhaps she is getting me back. I am surrounded by managers at work, who it appears manage little, but then as soon as their in front on clients or their bosses they are busy posing as managers - I suppose I should not be suprised it seems to be rife in corporate culture these days.

Whilst I am all for showing respect to the boss - there are bosses that disrespect anyone below them.

Are there any good ways - of just subtly getting gaining an edge over them - but no so much that they get rid of you, or would it be better to just make an effort to get on with them.

One good tactic I find is to always try to look more important in front of clients, or anyone important - generally get more attention than them and do your job better - that really gets under their skin. Or another one if they say something, then say it back in a better way as if it was your idea.

Or what about just backstabbing them to their bosses. for where they are not doing their job properly - its high risk. I am fairly new, so I go behind their back and they find out, I might be seen as a backstabbing type(which I am not), but i have been around long enough to know that you have to play dirty to get ahead and face the pain, and live in the real world. Who know they could be doing it to me.

You shouted at your boss, your working relationship isnt great and you want to employ a variety of snide tactics to make her life unbearable? :huh:

You sound like a proper *****, have you thought of suicide? win win.

Depends what you want to achieve. Assuming you want to keep your job..........>

It is better to be seen as the one trying to resolve the issue professionally.

Feels nice. However your short term satisfaction may well be very short lived and ultimately backfire. Your boss almost certainly has the ear of more influential people to a greater extent than you - much more opportunity to spin whatever you do in their favor.

Does depend on the senior boss (your bosses boss), but if they are accomplished, this is a disastrous tactic unless you happen to be reinforcing what they already think and WANT to hear. Generally, unless they already believe there is an issue they will not want to hear your whining and may feel undermined - remember this women is part of their team - you are either asking them to take 'corrective' action (always a pain to deal with a HR / performance issue) or just complaining. You may also get a bad reaction for going above your managers head.

Forget short term satisfaction, perform your way out of the situation and make your manager look good, you may turn things around with them, but even if you don't your reputation will protect you. Unfortunately senior management probably have no interest in what sounds like they would see as personality conflicts, save to find them irritating and want to eliminate them as painlessly as possible - the standard way is to tell your boss to deal with it and I doubt she'll be on your side.

You shouted at your boss, your working relationship isnt great and you want to employ a variety of snide tactics to make her life unbearable? :huh:

You sound like a proper *****, have you thought of suicide? win win.

That's a trifle extreme, maybe just finding a different job would be a better option.

My job is starting to irritate me ... whereas previously I could remain calm I now find myself 'losing it'. I need the job and will seriously start searching for a new one, but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas on how to at least appear in control until I do?

Any sensible ideas welcome... sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks

My boss is starting to irritate me.....

Any war with your boss will end with your boss winning.

Sorry but that's how it goes. Any management higher up will support your boss, not you.

Remain calm and look for another job :ph34r:

Hold a surprise party for her - ballons, bottle of bubbly/cava, nice cake, candles on cake for her to blow out. Those popper streamer things, the things that you blow that make a tune, the whole nine yards.

You pay for it, you get all the staff in on it and one day when she walks into the office you surprise her with this.

Bit hard for her to be a bitch to you after everyone knows what a wonderful party you organised for her.

Apologise to her for your contributory role in this difficult working relationship and promise to be more mature in future.

What the esteemed chap above said....

If you and your boss remain at each others throats I'd discreetly look for other employment if you are able. Life is too short to spend it in the company of (or working for) people you cannot stand.

Leave as soon as you can. Ignore any perceived slights, just get prepped to go. This is how you will best this situation. Stuff it.

I left mine and my clients came with me.

Leave as soon as you can. Ignore any perceived slights, just get prepped to go. This is how you will best this situation. Stuff it.

this is why we need a strong workers rep.

the worker really only has one choice in a dispute...leave....this is legalised bullying.

Did they? Oh that is good news. I remember your thread about work

Apologise to her for your contributory role in this difficult working relationship and promise to be more mature in future.

+1

Also assume your boss is reading this thread.

If you want an all out confrontation and a crap performance review, this is absolutely the way to go. I have worked with someone who did this - and the client said afterwards "when are you going to get rid of the odious turd who was in the room earlier?".

Best way to get ahead? Ally with your boss, or whichever person will get you promoted. Make your boss look good, they should look after you. If they don't find a new boss. Have it out with her in a rational manner, apologise for any misunderstanding (she will probably do the same). The alternative (which she knows perfectly well) is a damaging fight between you that will get you fired and her a crap evaluation.

If you want an all out confrontation and a crap performance review, this is absolutely the way to go. I have worked with someone who did this - and the client said afterwards "when are you going to get rid of the odious turd who was in the room earlier?".

Best way to get ahead? Ally with your boss, or whichever person will get you promoted. Make your boss look good, they should look after you. If they don't find a new boss. Have it out with her in a rational manner, apologise for any misunderstanding (she will probably do the same). The alternative (which she knows perfectly well) is a damaging fight between you that will get you fired and her a crap evaluation.

nah, munchausen by proxy is the way

Hi boss!

the worker really only has one choice in a dispute...leave.....

Pretty powerful threat actually (assuming you're any good at your job).

What the esteemed chap above said....

If you and your boss remain at each others throats I'd discreetly look for other employment if you are able. Life is too short to spend it in the company of (or working for) people you cannot stand.

Kingding and JustYield are spot on as usual.

His Royal Dingitude's subtle maneouvrings included, IIRC

*humiliating 'em publicly about their grotesque toileting habits

*turning up in the office completely arseholed and singing

*dressing up as a superhero (I reckon just wearing a Wookiee head all day should do it)

*moving to the other side of the planet, forever

Absolutely faultless, I think you'll agree.

I wish progs like "The Apprentice" would stop filling people's heads with romantic airy-fairy nonsense about how the corporate world works, and concentrate on the reality as experienced by Kingding and others. I might even pay to watch.

*if none of the 'Ding's hints work, just get a box of Biros, jam her head in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet, and bang the pens one-by one into her **** with the heel of your shoe.

Remember, self-reliance and maturity are the watchwords here. You're on your own. Best of british, and I wish I was coming with you.

Kingding and JustYield are spot on as usual.

His Royal Dingitude's subtle maneouvrings included, IIRC

*humiliating 'em publicly about their grotesque toileting habits

*turning up in the office completely arseholed and singing

*dressing up as a superhero (I reckon just wearing a Wookiee head all day should do it)

*moving to the other side of the planet, forever

Absolutely faultless, I think you'll agree.

I wish progs like "The Apprentice" would stop filling people's heads with romantic airy-fairy nonsense about how the corporate world works, and concentrate on the reality as experienced by Kingding and others. I might even pay to watch.

*if none of the 'Ding's hints work, just get a box of Biros, jam her head in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet, and bang the pens one-by one into her **** with the heel of your shoe.

Remember, self-reliance and maturity are the watchwords here. You're on your own. Best of british, and I wish I was coming with you.

Guilty as charged M'lud. :lol:

Pretty powerful threat actually (assuming you're any good at your job).

most people are in disposable jobs.

they are the ones that get bullied.

Please see me in my office 9am sharp tomorrow.