House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Transferring Ipod Files To Computers

I've spent hours and hours looking for an appropriate solution to the age old problem of transferring ipod files to computers.

There is just no information out there, anywhere - Google searches come up with zilch, my friends, family and work colleagues stand there scratching their heads when I ask them how it's done. It's as if the government have slapped a D notice on the whole sorry subject.

It surely can be done!

If anyone could let me know, or even just point me in the direction of some relevant information, I'd be very grateful indeed.

Guest absolutezero

I've spent hours and hours looking for an appropriate solution to the age old problem of transferring ipod files to computers.

There is just no information out there, anywhere - Google searches come up with zilch, my friends, family and work colleagues stand there scratching their heads when I ask them how it's done. It's as if the government have slapped a D notice on the whole sorry subject.

It surely can be done!

If anyone could let me know, or even just point me in the direction of some relevant information, I'd be very grateful indeed.

:lol:

Here you go...

'Copy Music from Your iPhone or iPod to Your Computer for Free':

http://lifehacker.co...mputer-for-free

There as many applications and methods for copying music from an iPod to your computer as there are iPod models themselves, which makes finding a sure-fire, free solution a matter of tedious trial and error. To save you the work, today we're rounding up the best tools and techniques for getting music off any model iPod onto nearly any computer—for free. Whether you're a Windows user looking to yank tunes from an iPhone, a Mac fan backing up an iPod classic, or a Linux enthusiast trying to get into your new nano, we've got you covered. Follow along for a detailed look at the best ways to transfer songs from your iPod to your computer, no matter what hardware or operating system you're rocking.

For a (near) comprehensive list of iPod programs see MacUpdate; many also have a Windows version....

MacUpdate Search - iPod:

http://search.macupd...p?keywords=iPod

no... its copy protected don't you know. Ipods even though they are sold as mp3 players dont play mp3s. Itunes converts the mp3s into a copy protected format before sending them to the i- whatever. (which is one of the reasons why you have to use itunes). There may be a working hack but you will probably loose something converting back...

no... its copy protected don't you know. Ipods even though they are sold as mp3 players dont play mp3s. Itunes converts the mp3s into a copy protected format before sending them to the i- whatever. (which is one of the reasons why you have to use itunes). There may be a working hack but you will probably loose something converting back...

Wrong on all counts

Assuming you are using windows

Connect up your ipod, make sure you can see the ipod in "my computer", if not you need to turn on hard drive mode on the ipod (i forget where you do that, think its in itunes)

Then go into the ipod via my computer, and switch on show hidden files and folders (posting from work so this isnt being done while i type, but its what i do)

There is a folder called control or something like that, basically click around until you find a folder which contains about 100 folders with random names, in these are your files. so what i then did was as follows (then will all be named stuff like AA133.aac or ABR46.mp3, but if you turn on detail view you can see the track name, album etc)

Setup a new user account in windows, setup itunes with a blank library, let itunes organse the music, then copy all the folders from the control folder into the "automatically add to itunes" folder, lo and behold after about 10 mins you have all your music.

If i get chance later ill post a screenshot showing what i mean

no... its copy protected don't you know.  Ipods even though they are sold as mp3 players dont play mp3s.  Itunes converts the mp3s into a copy protected format before sending them to the i- whatever.  (which is one of the reasons why you have to use itunes).  There may be a working hack but you will probably loose something converting back...

Er.... that's not right. Apple fought the music publishers for years and won! There is no DRM on any music bought on iTunes..... what iTunes does is recode the various formats to AAC. a lossless version. You can also change anything imported into MP3 or WAV, I think.To the OP.... iTunes is an easy and free way to swap music to and from computers and iPods.

Er.... that's not right. Apple fought the music publishers for years and won! There is no DRM on any music bought on iTunes..... what iTunes does is recode the various formats to AAC. a lossless version. You can also change anything imported into MP3 or WAV, I think.To the OP.... iTunes is an easy and free way to swap music to and from computers and iPods.

Did they used to be copy protected? Wiki still seems to suggest there was AAC copy protection:, This is one of the reasons I have kept away from i-stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

EDITED : So I was right until relatively recently Looks like copy protection was dropped by apple for music only last year, and videos are still copy protected, and what about music bought or used in itunes before the copy protection was removed?

Wrong on all counts

Assuming you are using windows

Connect up your ipod, make sure you can see the ipod in "my computer", if not you need to turn on hard drive mode on the ipod (i forget where you do that, think its in itunes)

Then go into the ipod via my computer, and switch on show hidden files and folders (posting from work so this isnt being done while i type, but its what i do)

There is a folder called control or something like that, basically click around until you find a folder which contains about 100 folders with random names, in these are your files. so what i then did was as follows (then will all be named stuff like AA133.aac or ABR46.mp3, but if you turn on detail view you can see the track name, album etc)

Setup a new user account in windows, setup itunes with a blank library, let itunes organse the music, then copy all the folders from the control folder into the "automatically add to itunes" folder, lo and behold after about 10 mins you have all your music.

If i get chance later ill post a screenshot showing what i mean

Or you could just download MediaMonkey and save yourself all that clicking about.

Did they used to be copy protected?  Wiki still seems to suggest there was AAC copy protection:, This is one of the reasons I have kept away from i-stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

EDITED : So I was right until relatively recently Looks like copy protection was dropped by apple for music only last year, and videos are still copy protected, and what about music bought or used in itunes before the copy protection was removed?

You're right, they did used to have DRM unless it was an iTunes Plus recording (DRM free). This wasn't Apple's doing though, it was the only way the publishers would allow on-line sales. I never bought anything online then.... I'd just buy a CD and load it into iTunes, DRM free.If you do have DRM music now, iTunes gives you the option to convert it to DRM-free.... for a small fee, of course!

Or you could just download MediaMonkey and save yourself all that clicking about.

Cowboy!! Real men manage their music libraries by hand ;)

yeah looks alright that actually

You're right, they did used to have DRM unless it was an iTunes Plus recording (DRM free). This wasn't Apple's doing though, it was the only way the publishers would allow on-line sales. I never bought anything online then.... I'd just buy a CD and load it into iTunes, DRM free.If you do have DRM music now, iTunes gives you the option to convert it to DRM-free.... for a small fee, of course!

There are also many ways to strip out the DRM yourself, for instance the burn & rip, and any amount of shareware