House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DrMartinSanchez

House Price Inflation Hits 8.5%

Maths is certainly not my strong point, so how do they turn a rise of 0.2% in one month into 8.5% over 12 months? :unsure:

house prices only ever go up,

bbc will love it.

wonder if they will report when the prices go down.

That they are going down because they are going up.

Government Broadcasting quango continues to trumpet social and economy destroying levels of house price inflation

If its true would you rather they didn't report it ?... whether its rises or falls some undue spin is normally put on the story ( too belak or too cheery) but that to oneside I'd personally prefer to hear whats going on.

Lagging indicator, really about 6 months behind what's actually going on in the market.

Presumably now that Haliwide seems to be going into reverse we'll see this one given much more prominence whilst it still reports rises from the end of last year.

I find it difficult to credit that there have been any rises in the last year, and wonder whether those places being sold are just plain unrepresentative of the market. I moved house last October (neighbour issues mainly) and in my area the pool of houses in my price range was quite small - perhaps about 30. Eight months later I pop into rightmove occasionally just to see what a bad move I made etc, but all I see is mainly still the SAME places I was viewing last year, mostly down a few thou, very little really decent houses moving. To me the whole thing looks stagnant, with certainly no rises. Is my area (West Sussex) unrepresentative? Perhaps, but if I were a vendor right now I'd be taking offers to get shot, all the indicators imo are shouting DOWN. Will take just a hefty chunk of unemployment coupled with some fresh repos and/or an IR hike, and this whole pile of cards is going to fall...

This is just plain misleding. 0.2% is 2.4% per year which is less than inflation. Therefore the BBC should be reporting that house values are falling in real terms. What's more all the forwarding looking indicators are negative. Can we complain.?

.... Perhaps, but if I were a vendor right now I'd be taking offers to get shot, all the indicators imo are shouting DOWN. Will take just a hefty chunk of unemployment coupled with some fresh repos and/or an IR hike, and this whole pile of cards is going to fall...

One in three homeowners in danger

Homeowners are still failing to protect themselves against redundancy in spite of renewed uncertainty in the employment market, with new research from Property Portfolio Rescue revealing that one in three would survive for less than three months if they are made redundant.

And younger homeowners seem particularly vulnerable, with over six out of ten of respondents under 30 reporting having difficulties with their personal finances in the past year already, ranging from overdraft and credit card payments to pensions and savings. Six out of 10 of respondents in this group also believe they can survive for less than three months financially if they lose their job.
Arguably the most worrying finding from the research was that just over half of homeowners see low interest rates and borrowing costs as the most important cornerstone in securing their financial future and the single most important factor in them keeping the roof over their heads.

When these people have to sell it's going to be a blood bath. When the market snaps back to 'normal' houses selling, I wouldn't be surprised to see -20%. If the stats are fubar on the way up, what's to stop them being fubar on the way down?