UK $58bn

Russia $53bn

Japan $52bn

Germany $46bn

Saudi Arabia $41bn

India $36bn

Italy $36bn

Source: Sipri

At a time when governments across the world have been borrowing heavily in order to spend, it seems the defence industry has benefited more than most.

Worldwide military expenditure reached $1,531bn (£1,040bn) last year, a 5.9% rise in real terms from 2008, according to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri).

But growth in defence spending is not a new phenomena.

Last year, whilst deficits ballooned in many countries, the world spent almost 50% more on arms and military operations than they did in 2000, Sipri's yearbook reveals.

Rather than curbing spending on arms, it seems many governments have deemed it dangerous to risk job cuts in the defence sector at a time of recession.

"Many countries were increasing public spending generally in 2009, as a way of boosting demand to combat the recession," according to Sam Perlo-Freeman, head of the military expenditure project at Sipri.

"Although military spending wasn't usually a major part of the economic stimulus packages, it wasn't cut either."

"For major or intermediate powers such as the USA, China, Russia, India and Brazil, military spending represents a long-term strategic choice which they are willing to make even in hard economic times."

Smaller countries in central and eastern Europe, meanwhile, cut military spending in line with severe budget cuts across the board as they struggled to reduce their large deficits.

Big spenders

Military budgets might be reduced in the future The US remains the biggest spender, accounting for some 54% of the total after having increased its military spending by $47bn in real terms, Sipri said.

Since 2000, the US has increased military spending by 63% in real terms, according to Sipri.

Other large countries, both developing and developed, also raised military spending last year, Sipri found.

But spending rose at a much faster rate in Asia and by islands in the Pacific Ocean, where the rate of growth was 8.4%.

And when measured as a proportion of GDP, military expenditure is greater in the Middle East than anywhere else in the world.

Looking ahead, the global aerospace and defence industry could find itself under pressure, however.

"The industry continues to be challenged by moderating defence budgets," according to Deloitte, a consultancy.

I guess in this coming downturn, countries have to build up their armies ready to quash all the protests from their poor people, and also to stop invasion from other impoverished nations.

Of course US spends enough to make sure they will still control the world even if everyone else joins forces against them!

World War III

Bring it on!.

Oh yeah. It's really good fun isn't it?

Get real. War is not something to be enjoyed. It involves total utter mass suffering that you will never understand until you experience it.

Next time you type something why don't you just actually think about it next time before hitting the enter button.

Get real. War is not something to be enjoyed. It involves total utter mass suffering that you will never understand until you experience it.

Next time you type something why don't you just actually think about it next time before hitting the enter button.

I'm not so sure.

My brother has fought in three wars and seems very nonplussed.

My dad fought in many many more just for the rush.

For some people its just an enjoyable job.

(sense of humour overload) MUMSNET MEMBER ALERT !!

Of course US spends enough to make sure they will still control the world even if everyone else joins forces against them!

The interesting thing is the similarity to the pre-1914 UK, where the doctrine was that our Navy should be bigger than any two other countries put together.. cost a pretty penny as well.

(sense of humour overload) MUMSNET MEMBER ALERT !!

For your information I've actually got quite a good surreal sense of humour. It tends to stop though when serious physical and mental injuries or death are involved.

It's so easy to be glib on here but you'd probably be one of the first to throw up if you saw a real wartime incident happen in front of you.

I'm not so sure.

My brother has fought in three wars and seems very nonplussed.

My dad fought in many many more just for the rush.

For some people its just an enjoyable job.

There is a war in Afghanistan going on right know, go out there on the front line if you like it so much.

If all war mongers (especially the politicians and the banksters sponsoring the wars) had to fight themselves on the front line there would be no wars.

---

Edited by wise_eagle

I thought it was rather telling that the UK recently announced how many nuclear bombs they have.

I think we need a little bit of perspective here.

yes we've got nukes,but in the grand scale of things,we have only a number that could be considered to be a regional deterrent.

in total we have about 200 warheads.

france has about 400.

the US (5000 approx),and russia somewhere in the region of 8000.

Guest Steve Cook

http://news.bbc.co.u...ss/10184610.stm

I guess in this coming downturn, countries have to build up their armies ready to quash all the protests from their poor people, and also to stop invasion from other impoverished nations.

World military spending soars because of recession/impending depression

Edited by Steve Cook