House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Cameron Faces First Question Time As Pm

Lets see if CGT is raised and watch the VI MPs come out the woodwork saying what a tragedy it would be for old people in nursing homes.

Will DC be the radical and progressive PM most on here voted for or will he cave into the property VIs.

It will be interesting if we see a dark and malevolently brooding Broon sitting somewhere on the opposition side. Or will he be wearing his jocular jock face with the erie smile as he leans his weight to one side and flips his stylishly highlighted hair back. A real nightmare would be for DC to lose a vote of NC and Broon to step back in because the rest are to weak to lead.

Starts at 1500.

Prime Minister David Cameron facing first question time

Page last updated at 8:02 GMT, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:02 UK

* E-mail this to a friend

* Printable version

David Cameron in the Commons Mr Cameron is likely to face questions on tax and spending cuts

David Cameron is preparing to give the answers at Prime Minister's questions in the House of Commons for the first time since taking office.

The new PM is likely to be challenged by Labour about £6bn spending cuts the government has announced for this year.

Some Tory MPs may ask about a planned rise in capital gains tax, amid fears it will hit people who invested in shares and property for retirement.

As part of the coalition, Lib Dem Nick Clegg no longer gets to ask questions.

But as deputy PM he will stand in for Mr Cameron when he is away and will get his own deputy prime minister's questions on a monthly basis.

The weekly clash between the prime minister, opposition leaders and MPs will start later than usual, at 1500 BST.

Extra questions

It is not yet known how the two questions that used to be allocated to the Lib Dem leader will be divided up but acting Labour leader Harriet Harman will get the traditional six for the opposition leader while minor parties might get called to ask a question on a more regular basis.

Mr Cameron is likely to face criticism from Ms Harman about his government's plans to cut spending this year - something fiercely opposed by Labour during the general election campaign.

The government argues it needs to make a start in getting the deficit under control to protect the economy. Chancellor George Osborne said "urgent action" was needed so debt repayments did not "spiral out of control".

Shadow chancellor Alistair Darling has said the Tories promised to cut wasteful spending in the first year but had included in its cuts a reduction in the number of planned university places and a scheme guaranteeing work or training for unemployed 18-24 year olds.

Plans to raise non-business capital gains tax have also provoked concern among some Tory MPs and business experts. The government says it wants to raise it from its current 18% rate, to one similar to income tax.

It could mean tax on capital gains such as the profits from second homes sales more than doubles to 40% or 50%.

'Not interrupted'

Faced with repeated questions about the plans last week, Mr Cameron urged critics to wait for the Budget and Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith told the BBC on Sunday the government was "listening" to concerns.

The first prime minister's questions comes after a difficult few days for the coalition after the resignation of Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws over his expenses claims.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg defended the government's handling of this, saying David Cameron and himself had "acted very fast" to name Danny Alexander as Mr Laws' successor.

He insisted Mr Alexander was the right man for the job as he had been central to the coalition's formation and would "honour" the promises that both sides had made.

"Government carries on and the strategy we have set out about dealing with the black hole in the public finances has not been interrupted in any way," he told Today.

It will be interesting if we see a dark and malevolently brooding Broon sitting somewhere on the opposition side. Or will he be wearing his jocular jock face with the erie smile as he leans his weight to one side and flips his stylishly highlighted hair back. A real nightmare would be for DC to lose a vote of NC and Broon to step back in because the rest are to weak to lead.

As an aside, I'm quite surprised at how little I've seen of Brown in the media.

I assume he must've been sworn in, and, in theory, he should sit on the back-benches, but it he does seem to have disappeared.

I think it will/would be odd to actually see him lurking somewhere at the back.

I assume he must've been sworn in, and, in theory, he should sit on the back-benches, but it he does seem to have disappeared.

Odd but deeply satisfying. He probably won`t show up.

The gravity of his crimes against the economy may be coming into focus for him. You can imagine the scene where he looks into his mirror and says : Och, how could I have not seen the error of my ways, it was my wife's fault, yes that's it, she should have told me not to reduce IR that August when the property market was finally correcting. And that fool Darling, if he had told me in stronger terms that my plans would lead to disaster. Aim...... lets see, och, and then there was that idiot Blair who resigned two years too late, Och, but then again I would have had two more years to really make a mess of things. Aim....my Scottish accent seems to be coming back. Och, I think I had better go quietly.....mumble mumble, och the noo........

The gravity of his crimes against the economy may be coming into focus for him.   You can imagine the scene where he looks into his mirror and says :  Och, how could I have not seen the error of my ways, it was my wife's fault, yes that's it, she should have told me not to reduce IR that August when the property market was finally correcting.  And that fool Darling, if he had told me in stronger terms that my plans would lead to disaster.  Aim...... lets see, och, and then there was that idiot Blair who resigned two years too late,  Och, but then again I would have had two more years to really make a mess of things.  Aim....my Scottish accent seems to be coming back.   Och, I think I had better go quietly.....mumble mumble, och the noo........

:lol::lol:

Harriet Harman is dressed as a giraffe... anyone know why?

maybe it's an existentialist protest against the liberal-conservative ideology of letting the most able and productive earn more - about the upper class 'giraffes' being genetically gifted to reach the juiciest leaves - despite the fact that the working classes are monkeys and get dirtier sex to make up for it

Brown will be easy to spot; he's the one in the straightjacket with the two 'minders'.

Harriet Harman is dressed as a giraffe... anyone know why?

Co-incidence? Or something more sinister?

He was something of a McCavity when The Liar was making us ashamed to be british. I think he regards media attention as a no-longer-necessary evil.

Had to miss it. Must have been dead boring as no posts?

I quite enjoyed PMQs. When Brown was PM, I used to watch it from behind the sofa like I did with Dr. Who when I was a nipper. But today, I stayed in front of the sofa for the whole time!

Oddly, though, I don't think Cameron's quite got the hang of it yet -- he kept answering the damned questions! :blink:

Watching these videos

- Harman straight in there about anonymity of rape suspects. Wh0re pursuing her own agenda!!

Is that really necessary comment?