House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

The £18,000 Council Job You Can't Apply For If You Are White

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283291/The-18-000-council-job-apply-white.html

A council has been accused of discrimination after white people were barred from applying for two £18,000-a-year jobs.

Bristol City has created the management training posts for graduates in an effort to recruit more minority employees.

As a result the council will only accept applications from ethnic minorities for the two-year placements.

But this has prompted criticism from white graduates struggling to find work.

One jobseeker, who did not wish to be named, described the posts as 'totally racist'.

He said: 'I am a tolerant white person who has lived in Bristol for 27 years.

'I am searching for a job and stumbled across a job advertisement on Bristol City Council's website that I see as totally racist.

'I feel the job would be an excellent opportunity for me to make use of the skills and qualifications that I have acquired but, being white, I am excluded.

'Equal opportunities means giving everyone an equal chance to succeed rather than discriminating against people because of the colour of their skin.'

The two jobs are described on BCC's website as 'open to black and minority ethnic graduates' only, with applications closing on June 11.

The job description reads: 'We are looking for two enthusiastic graduates with a degree in any discipline to undertake a two-year management training programme at Bristol City Council.

'You should have a strong interest in the delivery of local public services, be able to take the initiative and have the confidence to relate to people at all levels within the Council.

'The traineeship will involve rotating placements in different services of the City Council where you will be where you will be given 'on the job' training and undertake projects including policy and research work.

'You will need to be flexible and able to learn quickly in changing environments. The successful candidates will be offered a postgraduate diploma in Management Studies, a tax free training allowance and mentoring and support throughout the traineeship.'

Bristol council has 9,000 members of staff, not including teachers, of which 630, or seven per cent, are from ethnic minorities.

Because 12 per cent of Bristol residents come from minority backgrounds the council has begun trying to redress this imbalance.

The Race Relations Act 1976 states that if a racial group is under-represented councils can offer training to individuals from that group.

Seems a nice job if you can get it.

Clearly a mistake was made drafting the Race Relations legislation. The law says it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of race or colour. What they meant to say was that it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of race or colour unless the colour is white and the race is ... hmmm, what race are we on these islands ... I'm best part Gaelic - is Gaelic a language or a race?

Apply for it, when you are refused sue the Council for race discrimination and hurt feeling.  Should be worth at least £30k, and you are certain to win.

I may be totally wrong, but isn't there some degree of self-determination when it comes to deciding your own ethnic description? Therefore choose one for yourself that meets the requirement for the job??

Apply for it, when you are refused sue the Council for race discrimination and hurt feeling.  Should be worth at least £30k, and you are certain to win.

The Race Relations Act 1976 states that if a racial group is under-represented councils can offer training to individuals from that group

Sadly, I don't think you can....

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Put down the Daily Mail.

Step away from the Daily Mail.

a loy more of this type of thing goes on,

much more than you think

but would have been ok if Diane the racist abbott had said it, or had it in her council

Well, what do you think of The Association of Black Police Officers; or The Black Lawyers Association?

On the one hand there should be freedom to associate as you please. On the other, only some people are allowed this 'luxury'. Not that I want it, but an Association of white Police Officers would not be tolerated.

It is high time people just viewed each other as part of the same human race. It should be meritocracy, not positive discrimination land. I don't discriminate against any grouping. Some may do, but you will never stop decisions based on all sorts of likes and dislikes.

I think the Advert is unwarranted and offensive to society at large and it high time this behaviour was stopped. They might just as well say, 'There are far too many racists about, so we need to give a couple of people from minorities a leg up. Only apply if you are from a minrity grouping.'

I may be totally wrong, but isn't there some degree of self-determination when it comes to deciding your own ethnic description? Therefore choose one for yourself that meets the requirement for the job??

Excellent point.

Say that you are part black, part white. If they ask, say you are 3/4 black and 1/4 white, you just happen to look almost totally white.

They won't dare reject you after that. Later, you can take the piss and tell em you're 100% white.

Say that you are part black, part white. If they ask, say you are 3/4 black and 1/4 white, you just happen to look almost totally white.

They won't dare reject you after that. Later, you can take the piss and tell em you're 100% white.

What if you are a mixture of Nordic, Viking, Roman, Icealandic and Polish? Does that count?

they arent even jobs.

training for more qualifications.....for people who cant get work with the current degrees.

They are to be commended for their honesty.

Far better to be told in advance, than to spend the time and effort to apply and go to interview when you're ineligible for a reason they won't disclose.

Or indeed the scenario described in http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/unequal-opportunities/ where neither the employer nor the candidates know in advance when and where the forces of political correctness may assert themselves.

I've done some work recently for various loony Left wing boro's like Brent.

And I can say ethnic minorities are over represented. How can it be right for foreign natonals to be given full time pensioned jobs over the heads of white working class unemployed?

So would Michael Jackson get this job, if he were still alive?

It is high time people just viewed each other as part of the same human race. It should be meritocracy, not positive discrimination land. I don't discriminate against any grouping. Some may do, but you will never stop decisions based on all sorts of likes and dislikes.

Sure I view others as just other humans, the problem is other people don't.

This is generally why I loathe to ride a bicycle as it is slow and I receive numerous racist taunts on a very regular basis from a wide cross section of society 4-5 a day on a 5 mile ride each way is quite normal from different people. It is quite surprising the cross section of society who say things adults, old people I am quite surprised children rarely make such taunts though.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but eventually words do wear rather thin against me.

:lol:

I'm an employment solicitor.

If this article is correct, then Bristol council are acting unlawfully. Refusing to interview/appoint someone because of their race is direct race discrimination. This can only be justified if being of a particular race or of a particular ethnic or national origins is a genuine and determining occupational requirement. Essentially, this defence is only available when, for example, a Chinese person is required to play a particular role in a film (such as Chairman Mao) or a black stunt man is required to step in for a black actor. It is not available when the employer wants to balance of the ethnicity of the workforce. The only way this can be done is if the employer goes into the community and promotes the job to encourage more people of an ethnic minority to apply for the job. The law is clear.

Any white person wishing to apply for this post would have an open and shut case (probably worth about £5000). Even under the planned equality legislation pushed through by Harriot Harperson this would be unlawful.

Public sector employers have become obsessed with the diversity of the workforce, even appointing directors of equality who are paid over £100k just to work on the diversity of the workforce. It would be good if someone brought a claim to put a stop to Bristol Council (if the article is correct.

I've done some work recently for various loony Left wing boro's like Brent.

And I can say ethnic minorities are over represented. How can it be right for foreign natonals to be given full time pensioned jobs over the heads of white working class unemployed?

Yes i lived in Newham for years, meant to be 51% ethnic and 49% white , only ever spoke to a white person on the phone once and never saw a white person in the offices that they had in Beckton .

If this article is correct, then Bristol council are acting unlawfully. Refusing to interview/appoint someone because of their race is direct race discrimination. This can only be justified if being of a particular race or of a particular ethnic or national origins is a genuine and determining occupational requirement. Essentially, this defence is only available when, for example, a Chinese person is required to play a particular role in a film (such as Chairman Mao)

Honglaowai makes a good commie though, he's got some serious balls this guy, shame he vanished after the Lehmans collaspe.

Well, what do you think of The Association of Black Police Officers; or The Black Lawyers Association?

On the one hand there should be freedom to associate as you please. On the other, only some people are allowed this 'luxury'. Not that I want it, but an Association of white Police Officers would not be tolerated.

I think the Advert is unwarranted and offensive to society at large and it high time this behaviour was stopped. They might just as well say, 'There are far too many racists about, so we need to give a couple of people from minorities a leg up. Only apply if you are from a minrity grouping.'

i do think of everyone as the same human race, i just said this type of thing goes on more than you think,

what do i think of the Black Police Officers; or The Black Lawyers Association???

i think it is ok to have their own association, of course, each to their own,

but do you think it would be allowed for white only police officers or the white lawyers association? well would this be ok , or would there be people screeming racist Ba$***** at them?

byt the way , i am not totally white,

well actually if the scientists are correct we are all descendants of african origin so we should all be able to apply for these jobs and then we can sue just because we have white skin, it happened round this way factory only wanted to employ polish people.

I can honestly tick african, and tick white.

that'll f*ck 'em

on these type of forms i normally select "other" and then write in white african.

one of my pet peeves for a previous life is having to declare my race, as if it made one cocks difference to how good i will do my job.

If this article is correct, then Bristol council are acting unlawfully. Refusing to interview/appoint someone because of their race is direct race discrimination. This can only be justified if being of a particular race or of a particular ethnic or national origins is a genuine and determining occupational requirement. Essentially, this defence is only available when, for example, a Chinese person is required to play a particular role in a film (such as Chairman Mao) or a black stunt man is required to step in for a black actor. It is not available when the employer wants to balance of the ethnicity of the workforce. The only way this can be done is if the employer goes into the community and promotes the job to encourage more people of an ethnic minority to apply for the job. The law is clear.

Any white person wishing to apply for this post would have an open and shut case (probably worth about £5000). Even under the planned equality legislation pushed through by Harriot Harperson this would be unlawful.

Public sector employers have become obsessed with the diversity of the workforce, even appointing directors of equality who are paid over £100k just to work on the diversity of the workforce. It would be good if someone brought a claim to put a stop to Bristol Council (if the article is correct.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employment/resolvingworkplacedisputes/discriminationatwork/dg_10026667

What is 'positive action'?

Positive action is where an employer provides support or encouragement to a particular racial group. It is only allowed where a specific racial group is badly under-represented among those doing particular work or filling particular posts in an employer's workforce.

The employer is allowed to provide special training to members of the racial group. They can also encourage members of the racial group to apply to do the work or fill the posts (for example, by saying that applications from them will be particularly welcome).

This does not mean that employers can discriminate in favour of the members of the group when it comes to choosing people to do the work or fill the posts, that is unlawful discrimination.

Positive action is not the same as 'positive discrimination', which is where members of a particular racial group are treated more favourably. Positive discrimination is unlawful.

2 Management Trainee Opportunities

Reference: 22130

Department: Other

Working Hours: Full time

Employment Type: Fixed term

Salary: £18,000 per annum NET

Closing Date: 11 June, 2010

2 years, £18,000 per annum NET

Open to Black and minority ethnic graduates

We are looking for two enthusiastic graduates with a degree in any discipline to undertake a two-year management training programme at Bristol City Council.

You should have a strong interest in the delivery of local public services, be able to take the initiative and have the confidence to relate to people at all levels within the Council.

The traineeship will involve rotating placements in different services of the City Council where you will be where you will be given 'on the job' training and undertake projects including policy and research work.

You will need to be flexible and able to learn quickly in changing environments.

The successful candidates will be offered a postgraduate diploma in Management Studies, a tax free training allowance and mentoring and support throughout the traineeship.

Closing date: 5pm, Friday 11 June 2010

An information session will be held 6-7pm on Thursday 3 June at the Council House, College Green, BS1 5TR. To register for this session or for any further information contact gillian.douglas@bristol.gov.uk, 0117 922 2664

These traineeships are advertised in accordance with section 37 of the Race Relations Act 1976.

They might argue "open to" merely implies ethnic minorities can apply, I can imagine the Oxford debating circus earning huge fees out of arguing that one....

Surely if you were half white they could only offer you the position of a part time basis?! :lol: