House Price Crash Forum

Readers Comments Needed For Daily Mail Cgt Article

HOLA441

I disagree with you. Colleagues of mine in the political sciences Dept where I work inform me that the Government and major political parties do watch Letters to Editor and Readers Comments of national newspapers to help them keep track of the public's thinking and response to policy and legal issues - this obviously includes the DM which has a very high readership (particularly of the sensitive 'middle England' population).

Also, there is a body of research that shows that the public are very often more influenced (in terms of opinion forming about issues) by readers letters/comments than they are by what is reported as being said by politicians, key experts, etc. reported in main articles in newspapers.

What evidence is there that the labour govt listenned to anything that the daily mail had to say?

I find that a lot of comments to articles posted particularly wrt economy are usually more intelligent then the articles such as columnists like Katletsky, David Smith + Heffer write. They still spout the same things, ignoring the comments and yet they continue to affect the opinions of a wide readership, why is that?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What evidence is there that the labour govt listenned to anything that the daily mail had to say?

I find that a lot of comments to articles posted particularly wrt economy are usually more intelligent then the articles such as columnists like Katletsky, David Smith + Heffer write. They still spout the same things, ignoring the comments and yet they continue to affect the opinions of a wide readership, why is that?

Sorry, but it is well known in Political Science that Governments and major political parties (in the UK and elsewhere) track public opinion via newspaper letters and readers comments. Currently, of course it is a Con/Lib Dem Gov that we are concerned about not New Labour.

HOLA443

My comment:

-------------------

What's the bleating about? CGT was 40% before - this sounds reminiscent of the banks... 'tax us and we'll move abroad!' - have they? No. What you are hearing is the sound of the wealthy in the media and politics who have second homes, who are engaged in buy to let which pushes house prices up to the ridiculous levels we see today.

Well I say NO MORE. I am a hard working British engineer on a decent salary (~£30k+) yet I cannot afford ONE home without being financially reckless with what I can borrow. Let the madness end, stop allowing the country's 'wealth' to be hooked onto high asset values. Let's invest in companies through shares instead, as it used to be and should be.

It seems the middle man like myself has the real right to complain. If you're a sponger you can get benefits galore. Equally as bad, if you are in the property business you are effectively eating your young as they struggle to live with the high cost of housing and living.

ENOUGH. Support the CGT rise.

------------------

Love this one:

18% capital gains tax for wealthy property speculators.

32% basic rate income tax and National Insurance for working peons.

Doesn't look like my second comment got published

HOLA444

We need more contributions to Readers Comments on this one due to a couple indignant Landlords/BTL'ers expressing disgust at people thinking its a God given right to buy a home & that people should just work hard like them if they want to buy a property instead of just being lazy and jealous:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html

Not matter how this CGT episode turns out BTL'ers really are going to be very unpopular people in society - bit like Estate Agents were in the 1990s house price crash.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think we need to keep this going across ALL news websites, each and every time a new article appears, irrespective of how tedious it becomes.

There's no good visiting this site all day to discuss and moan. Here is an opportunity to get the message out THERE where people beyond the converted can receive the opposing message.

There's enough VI propaganda in the media ramping HPI. A concerted effort to counter it should be our prime objective and herein lies the opportunities.

HOLA447

Come on folks, even if you haven't time to leave a comment, get those green arrows added onto other HPC'ers comments at these links ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0pgRvBVSO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html

The media are campaigning hard on this one. As RB says, we need to fight back.

Makes you wonder how many in the media are BTLE'ers themselves?

+1

HOLA448
HOLA449

I think we need to keep this going across ALL news websites, each and every time a new article appears, irrespective of how tedious it becomes.

There's no good visiting this site all day to discuss and moan. Here is an opportunity to get the message out THERE where people beyond the converted can receive the opposing message.

There's enough VI propaganda in the media ramping HPI. A concerted effort to counter it should be our prime objective and herein lies the opportunities.

+1 and bump - we all love a good rant on here - but we really have to put the legwork in with the MSM - dont forget to write to your MP and support the CGT also - you can bet every ea/btler is writing to them furiously at this very moment - every one of our letters cancels one of theirs out.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am a BTL landlord of 4 properties. I have bought them for my kids as they will not be able to afford property when they are adults.

Also, I am a single parent who works in a supermarket who has SAVED DAMN HARD to afford the 20% deposit for each house.

What you all dont realise is that us landlords approx PAY 20% income tax on the yearly rent. So to get taxed again so much is unfair.

All you people who complain that we are pushing you out the market just need to sort your finances out properly. Everything is achieveable if you want it. You need to make things happen for yourselves instead of moaning and waiting for someone to do it for you.

Bring on the red arrows, you people who are complaining just don't like the truth that its your own fault you dont own your own house, nobody elses !!

- kate, liverpool, england, 02/6/2010 14:50

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0phrZoisf

You heartless bastards, you should be ashamed of yourselves, upsetting fine upstanding people like this. I was so angry at you lot, that whilst stammering, I accidently red arrowed her. Now please rectify my error and give her the arrow - green one that is.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I am a BTL landlord of 4 properties. I have bought them for my kids as they will not be able to afford property when they are adults.

Also, I am a single parent who works in a supermarket who has SAVED DAMN HARD to afford the 20% deposit for each house.

What you all dont realise is that us landlords approx PAY 20% income tax on the yearly rent. So to get taxed again so much is unfair.

All you people who complain that we are pushing you out the market just need to sort your finances out properly. Everything is achieveable if you want it. You need to make things happen for yourselves instead of moaning and waiting for someone to do it for you.

Bring on the red arrows, you people who are complaining just don't like the truth that its your own fault you dont own your own house, nobody elses !!

- kate, liverpool, england, 02/6/2010 14:50

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0phrZoisf

You heartless bastards, you should be ashamed of yourselves, upsetting fine upstanding people like this. I was so angry at you lot, that whilst stammering, I accidently red arrowed her. Now please rectify my error and give her the arrow - green one that is.

:lol: Nice wind-up!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The Daily Mail are keeping this one going:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html

They have changed the article to report that The Supper Club of 94 (or thereabouts) Business Leaders have come out against the CGT hike.

We still need, as many as us as possible, to go over to the DM (see the above link) to add Readers Comments and to click green and red arrows as appropriate.

I still think we should be printing off and/or copying and pasting these Readers Comments to send to George Osbourne, PM's Office, MP's etc. to show the extent and depth of support for the full CGT hike for BTL properties.

The VI's are upping the ante in terms of showing public anger etc. about the proposed CGT hike - what can we do to up the ante?

We need ideas and to follow them through.

- Has a Facebook Group been set up? If this was done we would need to think about how to best to spread the word in order to maximise the membership of the Group. This might add to the numbers adding Readers Comments, writing letters to MP's, etc. Also there might be ideas generated for raising the ante.

- How about we do a concerted effort to write letters to the Letters To The Editor of the national newspapers (including The Metro) to get our view in the published paper version of newspapers? We could aim to flood the papers next week? Note that you can request for letters to be published anonymously (ie name & address supplied) if you don't want to be outed , as it were.

Edited by Alfie Moon

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Just done my bit...

Surprised it got through actually - maybe they are getting lax on moderation :lol:

Justin of Yuckfield writes...

There is the most dreadful stench of xxxxxxxx rhetoric on this bb today, smothered by the foul tasting xxxxxxxx, propounded by the worst kind of losers in our society, who are obsessed about what they can get out of the rest of us without giving a passing thought to what they may be able to put in.

Justin... If one simply changes 3-4 words in your post, it clearly describes you and your BTL chums very nicely. Were you adoring yourself in the mirror while you were typing?! :-)

B

Any chance of a few supportive green arrows, folks? ;)

B

HOLA4420

The Daily Mail are keeping this one going:

They have changed the article to report that The Supper Club of 94 (or thereabouts) Business Leaders have come out against the CGT hike.

We still need, as many as us as possible, to go over to the DM (see the above link) to add Readers Comments and to click green and red arrows as appropriate.

Geez, that's the 3rd article now to appear via that URL.

Come on chaps. Another day of tedious clicking awaits. There's more of them than there is of us and we need to fight for every inch of popular opinion in the mainstream press.

Rents soar as capital gains tax hike fears threaten to kill off struggling buy-to-let sector

Now 93 top bosses warn CGT rise will hurt the economy

Clear your cookies and vote multiple times if you have to.

Edited by Chester

HOLA4421

It would be good if we could keep the pressure up on national newspaper website articles about CGT such as the following DM one that tries to frame up the CGT hike simply as a sop to the LibDems:

I was most unimpressed to see in the DM yesterday (perused a copy in a coffee shop) a range of top tips for evading CGT, including specific advice to second home owners on flipping. They really do completely miss the point.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
It seems that many people in this country have concluded, probably correctly, that the property bubble encouraged under Brown's lite touch on he banks policies has divided the nation and left us with a substantial gap between haves and have nots. The property bubble also threatens the financial viability of this nation. Property clearly became the vehicle by which the banks enriched themselves and their borrowers exploited the property market. The negative social fallout is obvious when you consider the number of young people and essential workers who cannot afford a home where they live or work. Property speculation and multiple home ownership became big business under Nulabour and there is every reason to tax it fairly. People pay up to 40% tax on their salaries so why not on their income from all forms of work--property speculation/investment? Cameron has my full support in taxing everyone fairly and in not giving property "entrepreneurs" tax breaks.
- Real Istbear, Brighton, UK, 04/6/2010 07:51
Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html#ixzz0prleYshr' rel="external nofollow">

I green arrowed myself only to find, a few seconds later, that a pro-BTL-multiple home owner, red arrowed me! Let us not slack off, let us not give in to the menace of the property speculators, but let us fight them in the newspapers, fight them in the daily columns, we shall never give up---