House Price Crash Forum

Readers Comments Needed For Daily Mail Cgt Article

HOLA441

It would be good if we could keep the pressure up on national newspaper website articles about CGT such as the following DM one that tries to frame up the CGT hike simply as a sop to the LibDems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html

There was a brilliant readers letter in the Independent on Monday - in the printed version of the paper - that made a whole list of points that have been made on HPC. It may or may not have been written by an HPC'er but whoever wrote it madee really good points very clearly and concisely.

Anecdotally most people I talk to at work and socially are very pro increasing CGT for BTL properties and indeed seem generally pi55ed off with the whole BTL money making machine that has helped price out so many people from the property market.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It would be good if we could keep the pressure up on national newspaper website articles about CGT such as the following DM one that tries to frame up the CGT hike simply as a sop to the LibDems:

http://www.dailymail...ay-experts.html

There was a brilliant readers letter in the Independent on Monday - in the printed version of the paper - that made a whole list of points that have been made on HPC. It may or may not have been written by an HPC'er but whoever wrote it madee really good points very clearly and concisely.

Anecdotally most people I talk to at work and socially are very pro increasing CGT for BTL properties and indeed seem generally pi55ed off with the whole BTL money making machine that has helped price out so many people from the property market.

Submitted my comment although it looks as if they're only publishing comments which support the article rather than dismiss it.

HOLA443

Submitted my comment although it looks as if they're only publishing comments which support the article rather than dismiss it.

Just had a look and they have now changed it to - 'comments have not been moderated' - so there should be no problem with submitting comments and getting them published.

Pile in everyone.

As I suggested before I wonder if it would be worth printing off, or copy and pasting (+ provide a URL link), the Readers Comments and sending them to George Osbourne, Vince Cable, the PM's Office, your MP, etc. as evidence that the majority of people are supportive of the full hike to 40%/50% in CGT (with no taper relief) for BTL properties but would be supportive of a compromise in regards to the CGT hike for shares (i.e. investment in productive areas of the economy that will help the economic recovery unlike BTL which sucks money away from the economically productive areas and hence undermine the efforts to create economic recovery).

HOLA444
HOLA445

Done.

This is a worthwhile campaign. The internet may sway opinion enough to dissuade Cameron from too lite a touch on the greed mongers who delight in pricing out the young, the poor and the retiring.

Radical conservatism is the best form of government we could have. A underlying conservatism for what is good and a total disrespect for that which is socially destructive.

Summed up in: Tax the BTL and multiple homeowners until they squeal but leave the productive investors (shareholders and business investors) alone.

I think I have found my niche. Hope DC does not let us down with a lite touch on house greed and speculation.

DM published by bit for humanity:

The Government must put an end to the endemic cycle of boom and bust in housing. It is clear beyond a shadow of doubt that this ongoing global financial crisis is the result of property speculation. It has ruined not just the economy but many people's lives. Local village life has been destroyed by second (third, fourth) home owners and essential workers have to commute miles to jobs because the property market in the large towns has priced them out. Property should be the target for CGT far more so than stocks that have a positive effect of funding productive companies. BTL and multiple homeownership have, for the UK, contributed to a lower quality of life for the vast majority. CGT at the same level as IT is appropriate.

- Real Istbear, Brighton UK, 02/6/2010 09:02

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html#ixzz0pgIdUvNJ

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA446

Done.

This is a worthwhile campaign. The internet may sway opinion enough to dissuade Cameron from too lite a touch on the greed mongers who delight in pricing out the young, the poor and the retiring.

Radical conservatism is the best form of government we could have. A underlying conservatism for what is good and a total disrespect for that which is socially destructive.

Summed up in: Tax the BTL and multiple homeowners until they squeal but leave the productive investors (shareholders and business investors) alone.

I think I have found my niche. Hope DC does not let us down with a lite touch on house greed and speculation.

DM published by bit for humanity:

The Government must put an end to the endemic cycle of boom and bust in housing. It is clear beyond a shadow of doubt that this ongoing global financial crisis is the result of property speculation. It has ruined not just the economy but many people's lives. Local village life has been destroyed by second (third, fourth) home owners and essential workers have to commute miles to jobs because the property market in the large towns has priced them out. Property should be the target for CGT far more so than stocks that have a positive effect of funding productive companies. BTL and multiple homeownership have, for the UK, contributed to a lower quality of life for the vast majority. CGT at the same level as IT is appropriate.

- Real Istbear, Brighton UK, 02/6/2010 09:02

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html#ixzz0pgIdUvNJ

Nicely put.

HOLA447

The Daily Mail are going all guns firing against the CGT hike for BTL - another article they have published today that needs HPC'ers to add Readers Comments to:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html

Gee, what a shame if the BTL sector gets killed off ... and house prices come down to levels whereby people can buy a home rather than rent.

HOLA448

The Daily Mail are going all guns firing against the CGT hike for BTL - another article they have published today that needs HPC'ers to add Readers Comments to:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html

Gee, what a shame if the BTL sector gets killed off ... and house prices come down to levels whereby people can buy a home rather than rent.

Seems that DM don't like the results of their other polls and quickly start another pro-BTL article to see what support that gets. They have to be sent a clear message: most people in this country want and end to property speculation and the speculators. Taxing its proceeds is the best disincentive to speculation and the best medicine to restore our housing market to health--places for people to LIVE.

The DM is really pissing me off and I don''t often get pissed of.

HOLA449

Could a couple HPC'ers go over to the DM article (see URL link in my OP on this thread) to respond to Justin of Uckfield who has stated:

"Dave, Birmingham

That is complete and utter tosh. 'Buy to let' is not responsible for the woes of the market, most people are not in favour of it, it has not excluded young people from buying properties and the CGT proposals, whatever they may eventually be, will make four fifths of naff all difference to the budget deficit. Where do you get this rubbish from?

- Justin McMahon, Uckfield, 2/6/2010 9:21"

Thanks

Alfie

HOLA4410

DM have published this sad story from a poor BTLer. Makes my blood boil I tell ye!!

Mr Bartlett has six properties and uses the gains he makes to buy new properties. But the CGT proposals mean he faces paying 40% tax as opposed to 18% now.
Mr Bartlett says: 'I would really struggle to expand the business at all.
Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0pgPY5HYM' rel="external nofollow">

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

DM have included my bit again --same as under the CGT article.

- Real Istbear, Brighton UK, 02/6/2010 09:33
Click to rate Rating 1
Report abuse
Edit.
Someone must have voted red on my bit as it has lost its green arrow with 1 point.
Gets into Ian Paisley voice mode:
ITS WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0pgRvBVSO' rel="external nofollow"> Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4414

DM have included my bit again --same as under the CGT article.

- Real Istbear, Brighton UK, 02/6/2010 09:33
Click to rate Rating 1
Report abuse
Edit.
Someone must have voted red on my bit as it has lost its green arrow with 1 point.
Gets into Ian Paisley voice mode:
ITS WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0pgRvBVSO' rel="external nofollow">

There you go. Have a green arrow !! :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Another salvo incoming this morning from the DT:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/capital-gains-tax-people-in-care-homes-have-to-pay-cgt-tele-

Capital Gains Tax: people in care homes have to pay CGT

Harry Wallop and Rosie Murray West, 9:55, Wednesday 2 June 2010

Hundreds of thousands of old people in care homes could be forced pay "grossly unfair" capital gains tax, if the Government went ahead with planned changes to the system, experts have warned.

Any person who moves into a nursing home who continues to own their former family home can be liable to pay the tax. Their former home is designated by the taxman as a second property after three years of living in care, while the nursing home is deemed the person's "primary residence". If the person then sells that property, to pay for their care home fees for instance, they can be charged capital gains tax if their family home has increased in value.

It is estimated that as many as 150,000 people in care homes could be liable to pay the tax.

Excerpt from the Finance Act 2010

..../
3 (e) An exemption from CGT shall apply to any home that is sold as a consequence of its legal owner having to move into care or other accommodation resulting from age or medically determined disability. Such exemption shall not apply to any additional homes owned or part owned by that person.

Sorted.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4418

Come on folks, even if you haven't time to leave a comment, get those green arrows added onto other HPC'ers comments at these links ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283340/Rents-soar-capital-gains-hike-fears-threaten-kill-buy-let-sector.html#ixzz0pgRvBVSO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283240/Capital-gains-tax-rise-just-sop-Lib-Dems-It-generate-little-money-say-experts.html

The media are campaigning hard on this one. As RB says, we need to fight back.

Makes you wonder how many in the media are BTLE'ers themselves?

HOLA4419

Commendable as your efforts are I don't think you are going to make a blind bit of difference, Daily Mail readers generally tend to be stuck in their ways for right or wrong.

As an anecdote, my friends sister in law, an avid daily mail reader, told him that any person who can't afford a house over £350000 is lazy - FWIW she and her husband inherited an already successful business and she has to get him to fill the petrol in the car as she is incapable of doing this job. She stridently eschews all the views of the daily mail and yet exists in glass bubble of comfortable middle class country living. She believes that it is people like her that made Britain great and looks down on her brother in law who has working class Scottish background. There are millions like her who will selfishly accept things in their favour and denounce things like CGT without any critical appraisal.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Commendable as your efforts are I don't think you are going to make a blind bit of difference, Daily Mail readers generally tend to be stuck in their ways for right or wrong.

As an anecdote, my friends sister in law, an avid daily mail reader, told him that any person who can't afford a house over £350000 is lazy - FWIW she and her husband inherited an already successful business and she has to get him to fill the petrol in the car as she is incapable of doing this job. She stridently eschews all the views of the daily mail and yet exists in glass bubble of comfortable middle class country living. She believes that it is people like her that made Britain great and looks down on her brother in law who has working class Scottish background. There are millions like her who will selfishly accept things in their favour and denounce things like CGT without any critical appraisal.

I disagree with you. Colleagues of mine in the political sciences Dept where I work inform me that the Government and major political parties do watch Letters to Editor and Readers Comments of national newspapers to help them keep track of the public's thinking and response to policy and legal issues - this obviously includes the DM which has a very high readership (particularly of the sensitive 'middle England' population).

Also, there is a body of research that shows that the public are very often more influenced (in terms of opinion forming about issues) by readers letters/comments than they are by what is reported as being said by politicians, key experts, etc. reported in main articles in newspapers.

HOLA4423

Here's my contribution.

A 3 year old law is being repealed; I don't understand what all the fuss is about. No one battered an eyelid when the average house price rose from £70,000 to £200,000 over a mere 10 year period (1997-2007) and which brought us all to the brink of financial collapse (and still might). These people should count themselves lucky: most of those in their 20s and 30s cannot even afford one property let alone multiple ones. Life is indeed unfair but what goes around comes around. Greedy BTL-ers are about to learn that eating one's young causes indigestion.

HOLA4424

Another salvo incoming this morning from the DT:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/capital-gains-tax-people-in-care-homes-have-to-pay-cgt-tele-

Capital Gains Tax: people in care homes have to pay CGT

planned changes to the system, experts have warned.

..../
3 (e) Anresulting from age or medically determined disability. Such exemption shall not apply to any additional homes owned or part owned by that person.

Sorted.

Link is dead/wrong?

HOLA4425