House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Taleb Vs Hutton

Hutton is now an economic adviser to No. 10 - he thinks inflating our way out of debt is the way. Be warned HPCers, be warned about your savings.

To me, watching that, it is scary, as an economic adviser to the PM is advising that inflation is the way forward. As a person who is rleiant on my savings I have to wonder about a housing crash now as it appears they will inflate, like the 1970s, and those with savings will be punished but those with large mortgages will, in time, find that their debt has been paid down.

Enjoy? No, fecking scary video.

Hutton is now an economic adviser to No. 10 - he thinks inflating our way out of debt is the way. Be warned HPCers, be warned about your savings.

To me, watching that, it is scary, as an economic adviser to the PM is advising that inflation is the way forward. As a person who is rleiant on my savings I have to wonder about a housing crash now as it appears they will inflate, like the 1970s, and those with savings will be punished but those with large mortgages will, in time, find that their debt has been paid down.

Enjoy? No, fecking scary video.

Its ALWAYS inflation.

Enjoy

Taleb: when you have cancer, you don't worry about the pain of cutting the tumour out.

Hutton: cutting the tunour out will kill the patient!

So there we have it.

Hutton was completely outwitted, although I'm not surprised, tbh.

Taleb nailed him and the conversation with the morality of passing the debt onto the next generation. It was just the other week that we were discussing how little this was considered by politicians, the media and by people as a whole.

Finally, I fail to see how inflation now is in some way causing the current generation to pay. It's the precise opposite - it means they won't have to pay at all, while shafting businesses and future prospects of the country across the land.

Of course, the only alternative is deflation, which we would need a banking system which can operate in such an environment for this to be possible. It isn't the sticky wages which make deflation an issue, it's the fact that banks become insolvent, risking systemic failure without bailouts. As there seems to be little political appetite to face this problem with our financial system, it will mean they will likely go for the inflation option though.

Can someone explain how the last 10 years or so of inflation is going to be solved by inflating away debt?