House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kingding

Guatemalan Sinkhole Pic

Just seen the headline for a massive sinkhole opening up in Guatemala and looked at the picture they are leading with, looks a bit Betty Swollocks to me.

If, however, it is real then that is some terrifying shit.

Linky

Guatemala-Sinkhole-Photo.jpg

Just seen the headline for a massive sinkhole opening up in Guatemala and looked at the picture they are leading with, looks a bit Betty Swollocks to me.

Guatemala-Sinkhole-Photo.jpg

OMG - imagine living where you can't even rely on the ground. Makes a sick feeling just looking at the photo.

What's at the bottom? What have they built the city on FFS?

Some of the precarious places the world's poor live beggar belief.

Very common apparantly... When looking at that incredible picture, my first thought was of all the locals chucking all the shit they can find into it... How do you deal with a hole that big in a city or town?

Plenty on Wiki.......

Sinkholes have been used for centuries as disposal sites for various forms of waste. A consequence of this is the pollution of groundwater resources, with serious health implications in such areas. In contrast, the Maya civilization sometimes used sinkholes in the Yucat√°n Peninsula (known as cenotes) as places to deposit precious items and sacrifices.

Sinkholes also form from human activity, such as the rare but still occasional collapse of abandoned mines in places like West Virginia, USA. More commonly, sinkholes occur in urban areas due to water main breaks or sewer collapses when old pipes give way. They can also occur from the overpumping and extraction of groundwater and subsurface fluids.

There was a house in Cornwall that fell into a mine not too long ago. It looked kind of similar but with a much smaller hole.

They obviously come in all sizes... Great footage of sinkholes on youtube... Differing reasons for them as well... Something scary but naturally beautiful as well..... especially those in the sea or in lakes.

A circle minimises the length of fault required, which is why it looks so perfectly circular.. and tends to suggest that the underlying cave is much, much bigger than the sinkhole and so exerts no influence on the shape of the hole.

It looks like a collapse into a cave; given the size of the thing it's possibly an evaporite (salt/gypsum) underlying formation where you can get very big holes very quickly.