House Price Crash Forum

Just wondered what the general view on etiquette in these circumstances is:

- I was in the process of buying a house (ftb) and had a survey done

- I pulled out of buying the house as on subsequent inspections it proved to have some issues that we couldn't get past, and in the present climate I am prepared to buy somewhere but only if I have confidence it is good for 10 years

- The estate agent has another buyer for it now

- The EA has asked me for a copy of my survey, presumably to hurry along the process.

To get a couple of considerations out of the way:

- No, if I were buying a place I would probably not want to trust a survey given to me by the EA but each to their own.

- I can't see anything in my contract with the surveyor which prohibits me passing it on.

My immediate reaction was that the EA was being a bit cheeky, but it is also the case that the report has absolutely zero value to me now. What do others think of the request and how I should respond?

I doubt there is anything in the contract from the surveyor about passing the survey on, however, the new buyer would be on fragile ground if they relied upon your surveyors report in buying the property and it turned out he missed something. Actually, not even fragile ground, no leg to stand on whatsoever.

Either the EA thinks your survey report wasn't that bad or they're a bit dim, if they're thinking of passing it on to the new buyer.

If I were you I'd try and get a few quid pack for it, after all it's not really any use to you now, may as weel try and sell ther info on.

This sounds dodgy!

Maybe they want a copy of the survay so the home owner can cover up the cracks or so they can sell it on to the new buyer.

I know it's worthless to you know, but if I wouldn't 'give' it to the EA, charge them a £95 admin fee or something :)

Thanks...regarding having a leg to stand on, you made me think of something interesting - I would of course have to provide it with clear disclaimers of any liability myself!

I think the EA thinks the report is likely to be fine because it's a house which has undergone a fairly high-end refurbishment (which it basically is, although it draws attention to the thing that made us go and take a closer look and eventually not buy the house!!!)

On the other hand I probably cannot be bothered haggling for a few quid - the asset being worth nothing to me and being of questionable value to the new buyer ensures it is not worth much.

Thanks...regarding having a leg to stand on, you made me think of something interesting - I would of course have to provide it with clear disclaimers of any liability myself!

I think the EA thinks the report is likely to be fine because it's a house which has undergone a fairly high-end refurbishment (which it basically is, although it draws attention to the thing that made us go and take a closer look and eventually not buy the house!!!)

On the other hand I probably cannot be bothered haggling for a few quid - the asset being worth nothing to me and being of questionable value to the new buyer ensures it is not worth much.

I'd probably say either I'd thrown it away or OK if you come round and get it. Can't be doing with lugging surveys about with no personal gain.

- The EA has asked me for a copy of my survey, presumably to hurry along the process.

Just a thought here ...

Offer the EA two choices:

1. Pay you a good amount for it (say, not less than half what you paid)

2. Pass on your contact details to prospective buyers with the offer to contact you, and for them to view it at for beer money.

If I were a prospective buyer and had heard that you had had a survey done, I'd ask the agent if they could put us in contact so I could view it before putting in an offer or spending any money on professionals. And I'd pay a few squid for the privilege.

Cart the survey down to the estate agent and ask for 100 pounds for it and they can have it (u want the disclaimer first) when they refuse (which they obviously will) whip out your shredder from your back pocket, shred the survey and then dance around the office flinging shredded bits of survey everywhere like confetti screaming "wooohooo!"

:P

Edited by Rozza

I've had the same request in the past

My concern was that the EA would pass the survey to the vendors, who would use it to challenge the surveyor's valuation and findings. I didn't pass it on.