House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Crystal Palace To Face Liquidatation At 3Pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/8714650.stm

Crystal Palace could be liquidated unless the group trying to buy the club can seal a deal by 1500 BST on Tuesday.

CPFC 2010 has been given the deadline by Brendan Guilfoyle, the administrator put in charge of the Eagles in January.

The group has agreed terms on a deal to buy the club but will not proceed until they secure Selhurst Park, which is being sold by Bank of Scotland.

But a statement from CPFC 2010 on the Palace website says the deal presented by the bank is "unworkable".

Fans held a demonstration at Selhurst Park on Monday to highlight the club's plight.

CPFC 2010, a group of local businessmen headed by Palace fans Steve Parish and Martin Long, were named as the administrators' preferred bidders in March.

However, with the deadline to buy the club now looming, the Championship club could be no more if the consortium fails to reach an agreement to buy Selhurst Park.

"There are a number of players who have value but once they're sold and if no-one else comes in then I'll have to resign, walk away and then the liquidation process will re-start.

"I am now genuinely concerned because I can't let the thing drift on into June.

"The staff at Palace have not been paid since the end of April. I can deal with that by selling the club's star players but what CPFC 2010 have said is if you start selling players we'll no longer be interested.

"If I start selling players - and I will because I have to - I'm not confident CPFC 2010 will still be around. In those circumstances I haven't got anyone to buy the club because they have, for a long time, been the only show in town."

The CPFC 2010 statement concluded by calling on Prime Minister David Cameron to intervene.

"Bank of Scotland is currently government owned," it points out. "As such we would urge the new Prime Minister to intervene personally to resolve the situation or see a club supported by many thousands, and with a 100-year history, consigned to the scrapheap."

As RBS is currently owned by the taxpayer I would expect it to extract all the value it can for the taxpayer.

Are Palace about to go to the wall? If so who replaces them in the Championship?

Still got to admire his belief the taxpayer should bail them out, who do they think they are bankers?

To get the fixtures sorted for next season the Championship needs an even number of clubs. B)

So I think they've decided that they must go in pairs - otherwise it's going to be chaos all the way down the league structure.

Could be Cardiff, could still be Portsmouth?

Liverpool ?

What i do is offer RBS for a job lot of them...................chop them up make one GOOD team out of them.................dump the rest!

Mike

To get the fixtures sorted for next season the Championship needs an even number of clubs. B)

So I think they've decided that they must go in pairs - otherwise it's going to be chaos all the way down the league structure.

Most likely elevate Wednesday back to the Championship, Gillingham to League One and Grimsby back to League Two.

Technically you don't need an even number of clubs for the league to work although the first game of the season might be a bit of an anticlimax for one club.

Don't get your logic here?

With 24 clubs, playing each other twice there would be 46 games for each club in a season.

With 23 clubs, there would be 44 games for each club in a season.

An odd or even number of clubs is irrelevant.

That said, since I am a Crystal Palace 'follower' and the wife is a Pompey lass, it is only right that Pompey should also be liquidated to keep harmony in this household.

Usually what happens is that a team that was due to be relegated doesn't get relegated, and this cascades all the way down to the bottom of the league structure.

That would be rewarding teams for being rubbish where the better option would be to promote another team who had a decent season and maybe just missed out on automatic promotion.

Usually what happens is that a team that was due to be relegated doesn't get relegated, and this cascades all the way down to the bottom of the league structure.

What are RBS owed , it doesn't mention them in that article?

Saw the Bank of Scotland bit and thought it was RBS especially with the reference to taxpayer owned but they must mean the Lloyds Banking Group.

Don't get your logic here?

With 24 clubs, playing each other twice there would be 46 games for each club in a season.

With 23 clubs, there would be 44 games for each club in a season.

An odd or even number of clubs is irrelevant.

That said, since I am a Crystal Palace 'follower' and the wife is a Pompey lass, it is only right that Pompey should also be liquidated to keep harmony in this household.

I'll admit to being a Watford supporter! Actually "our" problems are quite amusing. Currently the club is only surviving due to Lord Ashcroft (yes, that Lord Ashcroft of Belize fame). Apparently a couple of years ago when we were promoted to the Prem for one of our one-season visits a blind trust bought a load of shares on his behalf as an "investment". Lord Ashcroft has been forced to keep putting money in to get that investment back (he has admitted that he has no interest in football, let alone in one of the two Hertfordshire teams in the Football league). So we'll have a year to find some investors so he can get his money out!

Saw the Bank of Scotland bit and thought it was RBS especially with the reference to taxpayer owned but they must mean the Lloyds Banking Group.

Yes it's Bank of Scotland - and another dodgy property investment!

"PWC have released a statement saying it has reached an agreement in principle with CPFC2010 in relation to the stadium. This allows the consortium to go ahead with the purchase of the football club and the ground. Great news for Palace fans, and football fans in general too."

So this is another HPC "End of the World" threads where the world does not actually end!

(edit - typing badly as usual).

"PWC have released a statement saying it has reached an agreement in principle with CPFC2010 in relation to the stadium. This allows the consortium to go ahead with the purchase of the football club and the ground. Great news for Palace fans, and football fans in general too."

So this is another HPC "End of the World" threads where the world does not actually end!

Good news if true, although there's still plenty that can go wrong.

Came damn close to end of world, even if avoided at the last minute.

(edit - typing badly as usual).

Sounds like their stadium is being repossed and they will be renting it back from them. A sort of sell-rent back scheme for football clubs.

What a f**king joke.

Does anyone in the UK borrow money and pay it back?

You're not a football fan, are you?

Not any more; I gave up the good game in the mid-90s and filled my life with more fulfilling past-times.

Seriously though, do you really need an even number of teams? If every team were to be guaranteed a match at 3pm every Saturday then fair enough, but now days it is quite common for matches to be played else when. As long as throughout the season each team plays all the other teams twice it is irrelevant if there are an odd or even number of teams in any one league. Isn't it? or am I missing something big and obvious?

Most likely elevate Wednesday back to the Championship

Two of my closest friends are Wednesday and Palace fans respectively.

Someone's gonna be narked.

Not any more; I gave up the good game in the mid-90s and filled my life with more fulfilling past-times.

Seriously though, do you really need an even number of teams? If every team were to be guaranteed a match at 3pm every Saturday then fair enough, but now days it is quite common for matches to be played else when. As long as throughout the season each team plays all the other teams twice it is irrelevant if there are an odd or even number of teams in any one league. Isn't it? or am I missing something big and obvious?

Last day of the season they all have to play at the same time.