House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

Local Versus National Government ....

I do not understand the historic evolution of the roles of local versus national governments.

I wonder whether there are programs and policies that we are currently executing locally or regionally that we could run much more efficiently nationally.

- Housing Benefit

- NHS Trusts

Any others?

I do not understand the historic evolution of the roles of local versus national governments.

I wonder whether there are programs and policies that we are currently executing locally or regionally that we could run much more efficiently nationally.

- Housing Benefit

- NHS Trusts

Any others?

I think there probably could.

in years gone by,the council system was pretty straightforward.

national-regional-district-borough-local-parish.

revenue would then be raised and distributed accordingly.

nowadays we seem to have too much revenue generation done at local/civic level,with commensurate paperwork and beaurocracy being duplicated.

likewise with legislation,too many parish councils have disproportionate power to do what they like.

it would seem sensible that things like transport systems(and amendments to) be done by a national agency,fully accountable at source.

rather than letting trumpton borough council fill in speed bumps as it pleases.

likewise with council tax,this could be much more easily collected at source by somebody like the land registry,with about 1/10 the amount of paperwork,and would also alleviate some of the problems with seasonal domiciles...if the money tax still has to be paid while the places are left empty,and no locals can use them...or gain work in that area because the housing market has been artificially pumped up.

- Housing Benefit

- NHS Trusts

Any others?

Housing Benefit should be paid by the Department of Work & Pensions alongside all the other benefits people receive.

NHS trusts are dealt with by National Government. They could be a lot more efficient, but that isn't anything to do with the type of government in charge of them, just what that government does with them. Local Authorities are responsible for Social Services which includes residential care for the elderly. That tends to be a lot more efficient than the NHS, but it depends on the council concerned. Also you get the NHS and Social Services arguing about who is responsible for funding a particular patient. In Northern Ireland, the same department is responsible for both Health and Social Services.