House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Laura

All Hail The Icelanders

http://econotwist.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/election-farce-throws-iceland-into-political-chaos/

I just know the great & much missed Davis Sutch is watching this from another dimension. If only the average Brit would have the sense to put the boot in this way?

Promising a polar bear for the Reykjavik zoo, free towels at all swimming pools, a Disneyland theme park at the airport and a drug-free parliament by 2020, the newly formed Besti Flokkurinn (“The Best Party”) took the political establishment by surprise when it became the biggest party in Sunday’s municipal elections in the Icelandic capital, Reykjavik, securing six out of 15 seats in the new city council.

A political earthquake has shaken Iceland, with a comedy political party winning local elections in a development that showcases citizens’ increasing disregard for traditional politics.

In the country, which has been brought close to bankruptcy as one of the worst hit by the financial crisis, the electorate showed its true feelings for the political parties in local votes on Sunday. Jon Gnarr, Iceland’s best-known comedian, is now in a strong position to become mayor of Reykjavik.

And it is not only in Reykjavik that voters have turned their backs on the traditional political parties. Council majorities in the second largest city Kopavogur as well as in Hafnarfjordur fell during yesterday’s local elections. In the northern city of Akureyri, the upstart L List of Akureyri Residents achieved a clear majority, winning 45% of the votes and six councillors.

Iceland’s social democrat prime minister, Johanna Sigurdadottir, said the vote could spell the end of the traditional four-party system in Iceland.

The Best Party in Reykjavik was established just half a year ago by a core group of comedians, actors and musicians and was seen by many as a way to sidestep a broken political system.

According to the EUobserver, The new party ran their campaign under the slogan “Whatever Works” and suggested that it was time for a “clean out”.

A large part of the campaign was run via YouTube with the campaign video featuring candidates singing along to Tina Turner‘s “Simply The Best” with a modified chorus: “Best for Reykjavik, Best city of every week.”

On Sunday, it broke all expectations by winning 34.7 percent of the votes. The traditionally leading Independence Party, a centre-right political grouping, had to content itself with second place on 33.6 percent and five seats. The Social Democratic Alliance, which currently governs Iceland in coalition with the hard-left Left-Green Movement, won three seats while its coalition partner secured only one seat. As many as five percent cast a blank vote in the elections.

“I have never seen anything like this”, Olafur Hardarsson, professor in politics at the Reykjavik University told Iceland’s public broadcaster, RUV.

“I believe we are to see this vote as a protest against the traditional politicians, against the political parties and against the political realities experienced”, he added.

"I have never seen anything like this”, Olafur Hardarsson, professor in politics at the Reykjavik University told Iceland’s public broadcaster, RUV.

“I believe we are to see this vote as a protest against the traditional politicians, against the political parties and against the political realities experienced”, he added.

Bloo Loo thinks the people voted for change...just like the Americans....who didnt get any

Guest UK Debt Slave

"I have never seen anything like this”, Olafur Hardarsson, professor in politics at the Reykjavik University told Iceland’s public broadcaster, RUV.

Bloo Loo thinks the people voted for change...just like the Americans....who didnt get any

Yup. The Yanks were had over big time by the Obummer bandwagon

So were we of course and we're going to find out just how useless this new governmnet is very quickly.

Good on the Icelanders anyway. They've poked their political elite in the eyeballs.

Good on the Icelanders anyway. They've poked their political elite in the eyeballs.

Didn't Teessiders or summat elect a monkey in this country?

And Londoners have had two clowns as elected mayors. AFAICT both have done more good to the city than party-hack 'proper politicians'.

[i just know the great & much missed SCREAMING LORD Sutch is watching this from another dimension. If only the average Brit would have the sense to put the boot in this way?

If this Coalition fails you will see it here. I will be standing for parliament and PM in that event.

Did you know that Dave Sutch was a BTL Landlord?

No I didn't. Was he good to his tenants?

“I have never seen anything like this”, Olafur Hardarsson, professor in politics at the Reykjavik University told Iceland’s public broadcaster, RUV.

Pity they still have experts in non-jobs in a bankrupt country stating the bleedin' obvious. <_<

"northern city of Akureyri" laugh.gif

Been there - it's a small village.

I image that when its 30 below and you are being chased by a polar bear or 3, it will look like a pretty convincing city...

So there is a role in politics for Lembit Opik, after all? B)

Wot!!?! - He's dead already?

The usual half of him looked its normal self when hosting HIGNFY last month.

I image that when its 30 below and you are being chased by a polar bear or 3, it will look like a pretty convincing city...

It isn't 30 below. They're an island, like us. Maritime climate, no extremes of temperature - though of course a fantastic display of the elements, fire and ice, and the fiercest winds I've ever encountered whipping up sandstorms to the point where the volcanic dust showed a rainbow, ...

[edit to add] a post office in Akureyri was a unique experience, Wanted to buy stamps, tried my languages to ask for them in the usual order. No english, no german, but the lady spoke swedish, making it the one and only time that's served me outside mainland Scandinavia (where the languages are relatively interchangable, like english vs american).

Edited by porca misèria