House Price Crash Forum

Office Chair Recommendations

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The best office chair ever is made by Herman Miller.

They are expensive at around £1,000 (price I paid 10 years ago) but are absolutely the dogs balls.

German of course.

Personally I think its overrated. Had em in 2 places I worked. Good but not amazing. Made of mesh so great if you have a sweaty butt like me!

HOLA446
Guest absolutezero

Costco do good ones, fulfill your criteria.

Another vote for Costco.

I sit in this one for several hours a day and have done for two years or so now.

It's a greyish colour, very padded and has some kind of raised pattern.

Cost about £70.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I had to get a new chair to satisfy my IT managers concern about my desktop environment FFS

I had my previous chair for 20 years. A carver style dining chair with leather seat and back that I retrieved from the work skip. It worked. It was a seat.

Anyway I have a loathing of the 100 quid wibbly wobbly chairs that are the standard issue at work from office suppliers. They also only seem to last about 2 years.

So, I researched, sat on loads and then bought a Hag H04 in leather (I hate material for hard use).

It has a 5 star base, uplift here, swivel there. You get the idea.

I trialled lots of chairs and The Hag was the best IMO at about 600 quid. A Stupid price for a mass produced item, but comfortable.

I still have my carver though in the corner of the room

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What's all that about, then? :blink:

you are lucky if you don't know.

It is the way of life in civil service and possibly elsewhere ?

I get assessed for my desktop environment

Chair. 5 star base, height adjustable, arm rests, lumbar support.

Do I have a foot rest

wrist support

Screen at right orientation to window/reflections and height adjustable

Cables tidy

Tiltable keyboard

etc etc

I guess for some it may be useful. I treat it as madness.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

you are lucky if you don't know.

It is the way of life in civil service and possibly elsewhere ?

I get assessed for my desktop environment

Chair. 5 star base, height adjustable, arm rests, lumbar support.

Do I have a foot rest

wrist support

Screen at right orientation to window/reflections and height adjustable

Cables tidy

Tiltable keyboard

etc etc

I guess for some it may be useful. I treat it as madness.

Unbelievable. I suppose someone's paid to come round dealing with all this.

HOLA4414

Herman millers aeron are the only thing to get.

Specially if you are a bit hefty. At around 18 stone I rip through most office chairs in around 6 months or less, but I've had the last aeron for almost 4 years with no sign of fatigue.

I have a nice leather job from costco at home, but given the choice would swap in a heartbeat for the aeron - even losing a couple of hundred quid into the bargain. May indeed do so shortly.

Dont waste your money or your posture on anything else, its just not worth it.

HOLA4415

The best office chair ever is made by Herman Miller.

They are expensive at around £1,000 (price I paid 10 years ago) but are absolutely the dogs balls.

German of course.

American - surprisingly. The one you're thinking of is the Aeron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair). Very comfy for an office chair but can't hold a candle to a nice sofa.

HOLA4416

OP needs 4 office chairs, IMHO £5k to buy four chairs might come as a bit of a shock. BOOTNOTE : I saw roomfulls Aeron chairs at sapients offices in london, everyone had one! They were comfortable and looked cool, but at the time I didn't know the 50 that were in one room that everyone was sitting on could have been sold to buy an entire house! Yes I would like a Aeron but I wont until there is a Chair Price Crash

HOLA4417

OP needs 4 office chairs, IMHO £5k to buy four chairs might come as a bit of a shock.  BOOTNOTE : I saw roomfulls Aeron chairs at sapients offices in london, everyone had one!  They were comfortable and looked cool, but at the time I didn't know the 50 that were in one room that everyone was sitting on could have been sold to buy an entire house!  Yes I would like a Aeron but I wont until there is a Chair Price Crash

You missed the buying opportunity after the dot com crash. Personally I've always found them uncomfortable, particularly the way they dig into the thighs.

HOLA4418

OP needs 4 office chairs, IMHO £5k to buy four chairs might come as a bit of a shock. BOOTNOTE : I saw roomfulls Aeron chairs at sapients offices in london, everyone had one! They were comfortable and looked cool, but at the time I didn't know the 50 that were in one room that everyone was sitting on could have been sold to buy an entire house! Yes I would like a Aeron but I wont until there is a Chair Price Crash

You can usually pick them up for £2-300

HOLA4419

Here's what I posted about Aerons on another chair related thread. My dislike for them might be fuelled by having to constantly resist employee demands for them.

I got an Aeron for my home-office. Definitely a fad was my conclusion. Bought it on the recommendation of various friends, think it's just a subtle' oo look at me I sit my precious ar5e on a grand's worth of chair and I'II shoehorn in the fact I've spent a grand on a chair by talking about how it's helped my posture.

For anyone who thinks there's no scope for public sector cuts there are an alarming number of these Aerons in local and central government offices.

If anyone's wondering what the fook this chair is it's the mesh type one that Dimbleby sits on to host Question Time (that's about 8 TV licences worth for him to spend an hour a week sat on it)..

HOLA4420

Here's what I posted about Aerons on another chair related thread. My dislike for them might be fuelled by having to constantly resist employee demands for them.

At places where they pay 90 quid for a shitbag operators chair I go through about 2 or 3 a year, and tend to find them pretty uncomfortable.

I've never yet had an aeron replaced under me, and this ones entering its 4th year.

I make that a conservative cost saving of over £250 on the easily attainable price of £350 quid for an aeron, or over £120 saving on a new one direct from then (a shade under £600).

A boss that won't buy a decent chair for me to spend most of my 2,000 odd hours a year parked in, would strike me as unlikely to have much respect for any other aspect of my wellbeing in the workplace.

HOLA4421

Archived