House Price Crash Forum

France’S Aaa Rating ‘Could Be A Stretch’

HOLA441

French finances have been a horrid mess for quite some time, sadly.

It is only the beginnings of this crisis that have diverted attention from what was becoming an habitual French belly gazing of "Déclinisme".

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déclinisme

The hope among the French was that the Anglo-Saxons with their huge personal debts were more farked than the French.

Juste au bout mon brave n'est pas?

In relation to the USA, it seems this was the case.

However, the sovereign debt issues of France, its exposure to southern Europe to say nothing of eastern Europe and it's excessive, long term public spending patterns and the Germans having France by the balls, suggests France may well be worse off than the UK (dare I say that?) and Canada and Australia.

According to our friends from Langley, via the idiots guide, industry accounts for some 19% of the French economy, whereas isn't it something like 23% for the UK?

Despite Fillon and to a lesser extent LaGarde seeming like two safe pairs of hands, if Sarko threatened to reconsider France's place in the euro, you know the balance sheet isn't pretty.

One should prepare for France's rating to come under pressure.

Although, why anyone would pay any attention to these agencies that seem to have got everything wrong over the last few years is beyond me.

But I suppose that's another thread.

Edited by indirectapproach

HOLA442

just come back from Normandy.

outside of Caen and Bayeux, the place is empty. Lots of seaside houses for sale.

the channel is a stunning blue whereas the same water 50 miles away in England is muddy brown.

terrific roads, huge hospitals, mostly free parking outside the tourist sites, gleaming new bullit shaped local trains, tram systems in Caen and Rouen, fabulous bridges over the Seine, and did I mention the Roads?

this is where the money has gone.

At least it hasn't been entirely wasted then.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Is every car in France electric?

Is oil not energy?

The original poster I responded too said France was self sufficient in energy not electricity.

France produces 70,800 barrels of oil a day yet consumes 1.986million barrels per day - CIA world fact book.

Not yet but give it another 10 years:

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/03/french-government-announces-plans-to-order-50-000-electric-vehic/

France is also investing billions in providing charging stations in new build developments, office parking and garages. When you have an electricity supply industry that is the worlds largest net exporter of electricity then why wouldn't you?

HOLA445

I see the France-bashers are up early this morning B)

Yes, the country has problems. But compared to most of the other 200+ countries that make up the planet, it ain't such a bad place to live , work etc. Ditto for the UK.

Re. natural resources. France has mountains, rivers, great beaches, beautiful countryside etc. Seems to work well, as some 65M visitors annually will testify to.