House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Use "the Cloud" Wifi?

'Bart'

HOLA441

Hi All,

I'm considering a "poor man's" iPhone type setup, using an iPod for mobile email, GPS and and that gubbins.

As I mentioned in another thread, I really don't go out enough to justify the hundreds of pounds that an iPhone contract would cost me but I would need some form of wifi access for email etc.

The Cloud do a £3.99 a month package that ought to be enough for me. Has anyone any opinions on their wifi coverage?

HOLA442

Hi All,

I'm considering a "poor man's" iPhone type setup, using an iPod for mobile email, GPS and and that gubbins.

As I mentioned in another thread, I really don't go out enough to justify the hundreds of pounds that an iPhone contract would cost me but I would need some form of wifi access for email etc.

The Cloud do a £3.99 a month package that ought to be enough for me. Has anyone any opinions on their wifi coverage?

Checking 3 towns near me they are rubbish it is in places you can get free wifi anyway, bury mall bolton mall and Mc'ds

HOLA443

Hi All,

It is approximately the same as the other major wifi operators, but none of them are anywhere near good enough to replace 3G. I don't think the iPod actually has a GPS receiver - the TomTom car kit for iPod is more expensive than the one for iPhone for that reason.

HOLA444

Checking 3 towns near me they are rubbish

The nearest Cloud hotspot to me is 1.2 miles away. That doesn't sound very good.

I don't think the iPod actually has a GPS receiver

You're quite right, ah well.

HOLA445

The nearest Cloud hotspot to me is 1.2 miles away. That doesn't sound very good.

You're quite right, ah well.

If you jailbreak your iPod you can use an app called Roqybluetooth, which allows you to connect a bluetooth GPS receiver to allow the use of Tom Tom etc..

HOLA446

Hi All,

Much better to get a lower-cost smartphone and a £5/month data package.

wifi is a short-range medium, which means the range of places you can get it will always be very, very limited. 3G phone coverage is a similar price but has much wider coverage.

HOLA447

wifi is a short-range medium, which means the range of places you can get it will always be very, very limited. 3G phone coverage is a similar price but has much wider coverage.

Cheers.

Archived