House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Giving Up Fags

All

I thought I would start a thread that I'm giving up the evil weed so it will be kind of an experimental support network. I've been a smoker now for 15 years and I have had enough. All messages of support will be greatly appreciated.

Guest X-QUORK

Good for you Mr Miyagi, I wish you the best of luck. My only advice is to avoid going cold turkey, you're far more likely to fail if you do.

I gave up tobacco ten years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Good man!

Let us know how it goes, I was the same, choofed for about 17 years then knocked it on the head about a year ago. Best advice I can give is find a replacement, something that takes up your time and you can focus on that will take your mind off the fags. Mine was hiking/wild camping personally but it's different depending who you are and what you like.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the support already guys. I'm going cold turkey (although I have the inhalers if it gets too extreme) I tried patches a couple of time before but they seem to prolong the pain. I have also tried champix but that made me quite ill.

The aim will be update the thread with all the trials and tribulations that I will no doubt have to go through. I've done a back of the fag box calculation (excuse the pun) and I will save roughly £160 a month.

It looks like Roland will be getting far more exercise in the next few weeks....

Cold Turkey is the only way to go.

Anything else is for pussies.

If you cant do it cold turkey then you're just kidding yourself and you'll only be back on them at some point in the future.

Good luck. :D

(p.s. don't substitute the fags with caffiene. Unless you want to become a jittering wreck with bulging eyeballs - this is also a route for pussies)

Guest X-QUORK

Cold Turkey is the only way to go.

Anything else is for pussies.

If you cant do it cold turkey then you're just kidding yourself and you'll only be back on them at some point in the future.

Good luck. :D

(p.s. don't substitute the fags with caffiene. Unless you want to become a jittering wreck with bulging eyeballs - this is also a route for pussies)

Yeah, great bit of perceived wisdom there. Just like seatbelts killing more people than they save.

Most advice on smoking is cr@po.

I have said this on others forums and had a torrent of vitriole, despite the evidence I show. Such is the state of sheepelism, denial and the power of the big pharma companies.

First of all, cure rates are quoted by those in health profession and VIs on 6 months. How useless, who the hell wants to stop smoking for only 6 months?

Problem is, when you extrapolate out to even just 5 years (which is the benchmark the health profession normally uses for everything else) then the the jabs, nicotine replacement therapy etc., willpower alone. They are all the same. Slim chance of being successful and you'll always want fag for the rest of your life.

Use the Allen Carr book., I used Only Way To Stop Smoking but Easy Way To Stop Smoking is the original and a little shorter.

Basically, don't believe the hype that nicotine is a powerful physical addictive substance. That you get massive physical withdrawal when you stop (do you ******, that is all in the mind). It has a powerful mental grip over you that is helped by decades of conditioning to believe that nicotine is physically addictive.

If you read his book, you can stop without willpower, without having cravings etc.

In fact, part of the proof is I smoke joiunts with tobacco (since I stopped smoking for 10 years, I have only occasionally had joints, sometimes even a year between joints, with no cravings at all). If tobacco is so addictive then why do I not crave cigarettes when I don't have a joint? Cigarettes and the act of smoking is the real addiction, not tobacco substance. If you look at the way cigarettes became addictive in the first place, it is all to do with social conditioning a long time ago.

Anyway, here is the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633

btw there are even Allen Carr stop smoking classes. If you don't quit smoking you don't pay. I've told many smokres this but of course they are not ready to quit because they are in denial (oh I'll do it some day, blabla f uc king bla)

PS Get the book, don't give up tomorrow. You continue smoking while reading the book and follow the instructions. If you give up tomorrow, you'll just get back on the wagon again.

All

I thought I would start a thread that I'm giving up the evil weed so it will be kind of an experimental support network. I've been a smoker now for 15 years and I have had enough. All messages of support will be greatly appreciated.

We look forward to reading your posts on one of the weight loss threads in about 6 months time then...

:P

Well done Mr. Miyagi - ignore the cat; I've been off them for a year and a half now and initially used the inhalator, which I found to be superb, giving me something to fiddle with and relief from the worst cravings. I found a capsule would last half a day too so very cheap relative to other aids.

Good luck with it - I smoked for 17 years and for many of them had managed to convince myself it was because I enjoyed them; it wasn't I was merely addicted to the nicotine. Reading Allen Carr's book helped my mindset too.

The worse thing about smoking for me was the constant thinking about it, from the moment I stubbed one out I started planning for my next one.

Now if only I could kick the booze...

Well done Mr. Miyagi - ignore the cat; I've been off them for a year and a half now and initially used the inhalator, which I found to be superb, giving me something to fiddle with and relief from the worst cravings. I found a capsule would last half a day too so very cheap relative to other aids.

Good luck with it - I smoked for 17 years and for many of them had managed to convince myself it was because I enjoyed them; it wasn't I was merely addicted to the nicotine. Reading Allen Carr's book helped my mindset too.

The worse thing about smoking for me was the constant thinking about it, from the moment I stubbed one out I started planning for my next one.

Now if only I could kick the booze...

Right and wrong.

You're right, smoking gives you delusions that you enjoy them, like the taste etc. But the biggest delusion is of a chemical addiction to the nicotine (I think this is what you're getting at, apologies if not).

Part of stopping is acceptance that cigarettes f u k with your mindset. To a degree, you have to take a leap of faith that most of what you believe about them isn't true. Only when you get to the other side and realise this can you understand this.

Or to put it another way, most people stop smoking but still think like smokers. What you really want is to think like a person who never started smoking in the first place, and NOT like a smoker who "gave up". IMO only the Allen Carr method works in this way.

Right and wrong.

You're right, smoking gives you delusions that you enjoy them, like the taste etc. But the biggest delusion is of a chemical addiction to the nicotine (I think this is what you're getting at, apologies if not).

Part of stopping is acceptance that cigarettes f u k with your mindset. To a degree, you have to take a leap of faith that most of what you believe about them isn't true. Only when you get to the other side and realise this can you understand this.

Or to put it another way, most people stop smoking but still think like smokers. What you really want is to think like a person who never started smoking in the first place, and NOT like a smoker who "gave up". IMO only the Allen Carr method works in this way.

Yes Rolf, this is precisely what I'm getting at and what I learned, like you, from Carrs' book.

Yeah, great bit of perceived wisdom there. Just like seatbelts killing more people than they save.

I have personal experience of a number of guys who have all given up smoking immediately and gone totally cold turkey. The reason?, they had just been told they had cancer. It really is simple. Willpower and not some commercial VI product designed to keep you addicted (and therefore keep buying) is the only thing you need.

I have personal experience of a number of guys who have all given up smoking immediately and gone totally cold turkey. The reason?, they had just been told they had cancer. It really is simple. Willpower and not some commercial VI product designed to keep you addicted (and therefore keep buying) is the only thing you need.

With no respect: the decision based on being told you have cancer is a little different than one day deciding to quit the fags because you are worried about the health implications/cost/smell/inconvenience.

You are right to suggest against products made by VIs. But willpower is just as useless.

Stopping with willpower, you are still a smoker. Just that you dread every day because you can't have a smoke.

Stopping via "enlightenment" (I just made that word up), you become like a non-smoker who never got addicted. Isn't this the preferred situation?

gave up 8 years ago after reading Allen Carr's book

only way to go in my opinion

the guy's a genius. freed me from that filthy, nasty habit.

You are right to suggest against products made by VIs. But willpower is just as useless.

Stopping with willpower, you are still a smoker. Just that you dread every day because you can't have a smoke.

Stopping via "enlightenment" (I just made that word up), you become like a non-smoker who never got addicted. Isn't this the preferred situation?

I like it, and I agree. I guess by 'willpower' I mean making the decision and being honest with yourself to say 'I will never smoke again' and not just some manic grit determination to 'take the pain!'.

Zaphod B. - really?, is it different? every smoker knows what the end result of their habit will be. They even have some nice pictures and capital letters on the packets to remind them these days.

I like it, and I agree. I guess by 'willpower' I mean making the decision and being honest with yourself to say 'I will never smoke again' and not just some manic grit determination to 'take the pain!'.

That is better than the usual willpower route most people take. But I'm not sure it would be enough. I think the revelation is still needed. Decades of conditioning can't be reversed by making a profound decision.

Zaphod B. - really?, is it different? every smoker knows what the end result of their habit will be. They even have some nice pictures and capital letters on the packets to remind them these days.

Sure it is. It is easy for addicted smokers to ignore the bad health effects. Our lungs are hidden, only an unlucky few will get lung cancer. Heart disease is hidden, as are many of the other ill effects.

As for getting the big "C" bombshell, doesn't surprise me that it could shock someone into stopping and even beat any cravings. But this doesn't work for everyone. There are many cancer sufferers who continue to smoke just like there are many pregnant women who still have the odd crafty fag every now and again.

Rolf and the others are right in my humble opinion. Allen Carr's the man, puts you in the mindset of not so much a non-smoker, as a never smoker - there's a very important difference, and when you reach that 'enlightenment' you'll have cracked it - piece of piss - and I was a 60 a day man.

Good luck Mr M, actually you don't need luck, you just gotta want it.

I'm still a piss head mind ;) - wouldn't want it any other way :P

I've not read Carr's book, but it does remind me of a survey that one of the New York hospitals did of junkies in the early '80's.

They took samples of street heroin, and found that most of it was so adulterated that there was almost no actual heroin inside it whatsoever. They then concluded that junkies were more addicted to the process of shooting up, and the consensus view of heroin being addictive, than they were to the drug itself.

I've not read Carr's book, but it does remind me of a survey that one of the New York hospitals did of junkies in the early '80's.

They took samples of street heroin, and found that most of it was so adulterated that there was almost no actual heroin inside it whatsoever. They then concluded that junkies were more addicted to the process of shooting up, and the consensus view of heroin being addictive, than they were to the drug itself.

The inference being there is a low volume of nicotine in cigarettes?

I don't think there is any doubt but that the physical aspect of smoking does have an influence on keeping you addicted that and habit, I would, however, argue that nicotine is widely recognised as an extremely addictive substance and that it is the overriding reason for smokers remaining smokers.

The inference being there is a low volume of nicotine in cigarettes?

I don't think there is any doubt but that the physical aspect of smoking does have an influence on keeping you addicted that and habit, I would, however, argue that nicotine is widely recognised as an extremely addictive substance and that it is the overriding reason for smokers remaining smokers.

No inference intended really.

I think it's true that certain substances are addictive, but I think there's a grey area as to how much our own minds contribute.

A member of my family took two years to come off valium (basically by progressively shaving the tablets into smaller doses). If they tried to cut too much, they would basically have a nervous breakdown (these were frequent). When they eventually came off them, the doctor told them that they had been given placebo's for the last six months of their "cure".

No inference intended really.

I think it's true that certain substances are addictive, but I think there's a grey area as to how much our own minds contribute.

A member of my family took two years to come off valium (basically by progressively shaving the tablets into smaller doses). If they tried to cut too much, they would basically have a nervous breakdown (these were frequent). When they eventually came off them, the doctor told them that they had been given placebo's for the last six months of their "cure".

Totally agree that the psychology has a huge part to play which is why the Allen Carr book was an important part in me quitting, and why a lot of people are recommending it.