House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Opera Singers' Academy At Cardiff University To Close

Opera singers' academy at Cardiff University to close

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east_wales/10195142.stm

Cardiff University is to close an academy aimed at nurturing future opera stars, three years after it opened.

The International Academy of Voice has been operating at a "significant loss" since 2007 and the university "could not continue" subsidising it.

The academy, whose director is Welsh tenor Dennis O'Neill, aimed to attract an elite group of the most promising singers.

More than 50 singers have been coached and trained in the city so far.

A Cardiff University spokesperson said: "It is with regret that the International Academy of Voice at Cardiff University will be closed at the end of the calendar year.

"Since its creation in 2007 the academy has operated at a significant loss.

Unfortunately, in the current economic climate... the university is unable to continue to provide the high level of financial support needed

World-class opera stars, including O'Neill and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, have given students the benefit of their experience. Dame Kiri gave a masterclass in 2008.

The academy was set up to offer one-to-one tuition to students over eight months, with experience of performing at least one opera.

At the time it was launched, Mr O'Neill said it had been an idea he had been thinking about for a decade and it was "unique" and "exciting" for Cardiff to offer practical courses.

I assume Dame Kiri and Co offered their services for free?

Frankly, I think more of our taxes should go on wannabe opera stars. If needed we should close some hospitals to help fund them! :rolleyes:

I think it is a good thing in principle. Let's encourage and nurture the talent of the very best, in whatever discipline.

And of course it will make a loss. What's the revenue stream?

However being a nulabour project I have no doubt that a fortune was spent on managers' salaries, buidlings, "raising awareness", consultants and consultation and a huge debt has been built up.

Not sure if she is an opera singer. These Kardiff girls all look the same to me.

article-1222090-06e759d9000005dc-342_468x342.jpg

I believe that sign to be inaccurate.

Not sure if she is an opera singer. These Kardiff girls all look the same to me.

article-1222090-06e759d9000005dc-342_468x342.jpg

I can't believe you posted a pic of my missus MT :unsure:

I can't believe you posted a pic of my missus MT :unsure:

Lucky he didn't post the other one. Her dad said that they weren't her knickers but some she found on the floor, however the other picture (with zoom) gives the lie to that. Off you go ccc!