House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Just Recieved My New Passport Cost Me £86.

just renewed my passport cost was £86 inc post office send and check service add in £4 for photos and thats £90 :o i,m sure my last one 10 years ago cost less than £30. There is a main passport office in my city and last time i went into the office and got my passport same day with no appointment at no extra cost, now to do this you need to make an appointment and pay £129 for the privelidge :ph34r::ph34r: or £119 for a premium 1 week service :ph34r:

However the main point of this thread is that laminated into the back of the photo page is what appears to be a small chip, but even stranger is the fact that attached to each side of the chip is a fine copper wire that loops around the page about 10 times??? i,m thinking antenna here,the only thing that i can,t work out is it looks too small to have any kind of built in power supply that would last 10 years even one of those fancy plutonium james bond jobbies.Maybe i,m being paranoid but is this some kind of tracking device?? all seems a bit strange. Anyone know what this thing is??

just renewed my passport cost was £86 inc post office send and check service add in £4 for photos and thats £90 :o i,m sure my last one 10 years ago cost less than £30. There is a main passport office in my city and last time i went into the office and got my passport same day with no appointment at no extra cost, now to do this you need to make an appointment and pay £129 for the privelidge :ph34r::ph34r: or £119 for a premium 1 week service :ph34r:

However the main point of this thread is that laminated into the back of the photo page is what appears to be a small chip, but even stranger is the fact that attached to each side of the chip is a fine copper wire that loops around the page about 10 times??? i,m thinking antenna here,the only thing that i can,t work out is it looks too small to have any kind of built in power supply that would last 10 years even one of those fancy plutonium james bond jobbies.Maybe i,m being paranoid but is this some kind of tracking device?? all seems a bit strange. Anyone know what this thing is??

The loop is the antenna, just like in those RFID stock tracking labels if you've ever ripped one apart.

My limited understaning is that the chip contains the same information as onthe back page of the PP. Though of course I suppose in time it s designed to contain all the biometrics etc...

It is you. Well, it will be you, 'they' are replacing you with it. They don't need you anymore.

I understand it allows you to 'fast track' at airports displaying the relevant signage.

Not in my experience

You can "fast track" using the IRIS system if you're registered, but that doesn't require an RFID passport. Just eyes :)

I use the IRIS passport control quite a bit.

AFAIK the RFID part is a requirement of the US to allow people to continue to use the visa waiver programme.

Sounds like the RF antenna that are put onto packaging for security scanning walk through a local field (those sets of upright scanners in shop doorways) and the passport is read. If so you movements could certainly be scanned, even through shop doorways if you linked the system to a main data collection point!

They look like this:

2rfid4040g.jpg

Only if the shop RFIDs were able to do the security handshaking with the passport's chip. Which they certainly can't right now, and would require a colossal investment and roll-out of technology to allow them to do.

Plus the shop systems are usually antitheft - ie they're dumb - they just shout if they sense a tag - rather than smart RFID with the ability to lift data from the tag. Electronic access control (EAI) technology does read data from the tag, like an Oyster card, but as I say the security stuff would stop that happening with standard systems.

I understand it allows you to 'fast track' at airports displaying the relevant signage.

Oooh! I thought that's what Business Class travel was for. Makes £86 look incredibly cheap, but how will those poor airlines survive?

Not in my experience

You can "fast track" using the IRIS system if you're registered, but that doesn't require an RFID passport. Just eyes :)

I use the IRIS passport control quite a bit.

AFAIK the RFID part is a requirement of the US to allow people to continue to use the visa waiver programme.

I've used that IRIS system for over 2 years and it was quicker whilst the first electronic check booths worked intermittently at some airports. It was issued in 2006 and by accident, it was the last month before all passports went biometric. No chip on mine. I can still go to USA on visa waiver program because the back page is machine-readable (chevrons etc,) But as of Jan 2009, you have to get ESTA approval. This is free despite some scamming websites who will do it for you 'cheap.' http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

Those with the 'chip' on them have had biometric data recorded so can be permitted access by face-recognition booths (in UK only so far I think) that compare the picture with the data on the chip. Speeds it up at airports a lot.

RFID tag as prev posters say. It is hackable, and could be read at a substantial distance if you have the correct reading equipment.

This paper has a good deal of information about the problems and these are just

the start. When they try and fix problems that creates other attacks while the issued

cards or passports cannot all be recalled en mass

They also mention other possible ways

to detect the issuing country of a passport including the ISO 14443 “Answer to

Select” or “File Control Information” message. We also found that the passports

of different nations gave distinctive error messages, however we received different

error messages to the ones reported by Richter et al., this may have been due to

using different parameters in the ISO 7816 commands.

Out of the passports we tested, we found that each country had its own unique

constructed ATR value, we also found that a range of mifare classic cards all

issue the same ATR, see Figure 2. The German passport was recently updated to

include an alpha-numeric passport number and the fingerprints of the owner. We

found that these updated passports had a different ATR to the earlier version.

Therefore, the ATR provides an easy way to identify, not just the issuing nation,

but also the version of a passport. This is an additional weakness in the passport

because if it is possible to narrow down the issue date of a passport it becomes

easier to guess the BAC key. Some of the observed ATRs were very close so,

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~tpc/Papers/PassportTrace.pdf

RFID tag ATR value

UK Passport 3B898001097877D4020000900048

French Passport 3B8E80011177B3A7028091E16577010103FF61

Irish Passport 3B848001043833B1BB

German Passport, (numneric 3B8E8001107833D4020064041101013180FFBD

passport number, no fingerprints),

German Passport (alpha-numeric 3B898001097877C4020000900058

passport number, fingerprints)

Dubai Metro pass 3B8F8001804F0CA0000003060300030000000068

Mifare (e.g. Oyster card, Univ. Id) 3B8F8001804F0CA000000306030001000000006A

Yes. It's your national ID card ;)

You're right about the cost. Got a new one a couple of years back which, due to 24 hour service, was about a hundred quid. Last one 10 years previous had been £25 for same service.

You're right about the cost. Got a new one a couple of years back which, due to 24 hour service, was about a hundred quid. Last one 10 years previous had been £25 for same service.

Yes, but you didn't get to fill EDS's & Capita's boots back then.

Got my current one in 2003, and ISTR it was about 80 squid back then.

Price aside, the passport renewal service seems to be very efficient these days. One of the few government services that has improved in my opinion.

Price aside, the passport renewal service seems to be very efficient these days. One of the few government services that has improved in my opinion.

True, credit where credit's due. Remember the old days of messy queues at St James's Office. Victoria did seem smooth and efficient.