House Price Crash Forum
Boom Boom

Laws' Replacement Introuble Already

They are ALL doing it.

Politics in Britain is all about perpetuating issues in your self interest, from the point of view of an elected individual.

I haven't seen a good policy or mandate which was based upon proportional taxation, nor will there be.

It will end with the 'rich' just fencing off the neighbourhoods and closing their shutters, just as it used to be.

Our financial situation remains perilous, and the world hasn't seen a big war in nearly 70 years, which is unprecedented.

You'll have to scrape by on whatever you can find because we cannot go on giving everybody a free lunch.

This is Britain. Same as it ever was.

EDIT: I also don't believe this coalition government will last very long, so expect another election, with a clear majority this time. It will probably be Labour again. Sigh.

Edited by cashinmattress

This doesn't seem at all like an orchestrated and deliberate campaign. :rolleyes:

Ha ha! I wonder if it's some disgruntled, passed-over Tory? Ideally all the troughing fraudsters from the last parliament should have been prosecuted at best, de-selected at least.

If it takes the first year of the new parliament to weed out the ones that got away then so be it. I hope the Treasury haven't ordered any new stationery or name plates for Alexander.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

They are ALL doing it.

Politics in Britain is all about perpetuating issues in your self interest, from the point of view of an elected individual.

I haven't seen a good policy or mandate which was based upon proportional taxation, nor will there be.

It will end with the 'rich' just fencing off the neighbourhoods and closing their shutters, just as it used to be.

Our financial situation remains perilous, and the world hasn't seen a big war in nearly 70 years, which is unprecedented.

You'll have to scrape by on whatever you can find because we cannot go on giving everybody a free lunch.

This is Britain. Same as it ever was.

EDIT: I also don't believe this coalition government will last very long, so expect another election, with a clear majority this time. It will probably be Labour again. Sigh.

And this at a time when the British people who provide all the cash are being asked to tighten their belts. Much more of this corruption and there will be serious civil unrest.

It is getting beyond a joke now, personally I dont even think Laws did much wrong. Surely it would cost us all a lot more if he had gone out and rented a flat privately in London. So long as the rent paid is market rate I dont understand the ban on these things seeming to benefit family members or spouces.

Flipping property is just money grabbing though and the guy seriously cannot work in the treasury now.

I had high hopes for the coelition but now I am expecting an election just as soon as Ed Balls is crowned Labour leader. There are enough effing morons who will vote Labour again - in fact I would expect a large number of p*ssed off Lib Dems will vote Labour to keep Tories out in key seats leading to a significant Labour marjority at which point I will probably go and fling myself off the Forth Bridge as life for anyone with an average job will simply not be worth doing.

Imagine Ed Balls as PM - in fact don't I have and am not sure I could face that lying t*sser being in any position of power. Where did all the good MP's go? they are now very much the exception rather than the rule.

It is getting beyond a joke now, personally I dont even think Laws did much wrong. Surely it would cost us all a lot more if he had gone out and rented a flat privately in London.

Probably but I would personally the bill higher and completely truthful than lower and obfuscated or vague.

For there to be further expenses 'scandals', well it gets beyond a joke now doesn't it.

Find a bit of brownfill infill land, build some high density shit and dump all the MP's in there. No expenses, no private rents, no CGT issues, plus immediate understanding of what large parts of the rest of the country have to put up with.

Find a bit of brownfill infill land, build some high density shit and dump all the MP's in there. No expenses, no private rents, no CGT issues, plus immediate understanding of what large parts of the rest of the country have to put up with.

We should furnish them all with AST's too then after six months hold a monthly lottery to identify those who will need to move as their LL (the State) has decided to cash in and pay just 18% CGT.

The Olympic village?

This doesn't seem at all like an orchestrated and deliberate campaign. :rolleyes:

Not at all, does it :D

Funny how far the Tory right will go to stop CGT from being restored to 40%. Still, he's got to go and good riddance, those guys shouldn't even be in parliament. Immediate by elections should be organised whenever one of these crooks get caught.

This coalition is not going to last is it.

Problem for the Tories is that it is in their long term electoral interests to tar the Liberal Democrats as the chief instigators of cuts and tax rises over the next 12 months. If the Telegraph keep trashing the candidates then Clegg is probably going to insist a Tory does the job of Chief Secretary of the Treasury. I dont suppose Labour can believe their luck.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

It is getting beyond a joke now, personally I dont even think Laws did much wrong. Surely it would cost us all a lot more if he had gone out and rented a flat privately in London. So long as the rent paid is market rate I dont understand the ban on these things seeming to benefit family members or spouces.

Seriously? You don't see much wrong with Laws misappropriating £40,000 and using it to pay his gay lover. Even when the Government is enforcing laws against theft and prostituton?

I guess they'll have to sack the new guy too - and each time they reshuffle they give themselves more hand-outs.

Guest Steve Cook

And this at a time when the British people who provide all the cash are being asked to tighten their belts. Much more of this corruption and there will be serious civil unrest.

yes

Guest Steve Cook

Flipping property is just money grabbing though and the guy seriously cannot work in the treasury now.

I had high hopes for the coelition but now I am expecting an election just as soon as Ed Balls is crowned Labour leader. There are enough effing morons who will vote Labour again - in fact I would expect a large number of p*ssed off Lib Dems will vote Labour to keep Tories out in key seats leading to a significant Labour marjority at which point I will probably go and fling myself off the Forth Bridge as life for anyone with an average job will simply not be worth doing.

Imagine Ed Balls as PM - in fact don't I have and am not sure I could face that lying t*sser being in any position of power. Where did all the good MP's go? they are now very much the exception rather than the rule.

Did or did Laws not make a claim for rent for a room at his partner's address? A house, by the way, whose deposit for purchase was provided by Laws.

When the rules were changed outlawing such expenses, did or did not Laws continue to make the claim?

Did Laws fess up himself or was he exposed?

Laws claims privacy was his only motivation. However, Laws is independently wealthy and so could have easily afforded the money himself, thus affording himself complete privacy in this regard. So, why did he not take this rather obvious option if privacy was his primary motivation?

We can only guess as to his real motivation for this corruption. However the most obvious explanation would be that he wanted to provide his lover with a house and that he used the expenses system to fund the mortgage indirectly.

His sexuality is irrelevant

His competence in his job is irrelevant

Whether or not he may be a lovely guy in real life and buys his mum flowers every Sunday is irrelevant

The fact is he fraudulently claimed money off the taxpayer to fund the purchase of a house by someone with whom he had a direct personal relationship. This is against parliamentary rules and for good reason. He is a liar and a thief and should be prosecuted in a criminal court of law like any other citizen. However, he is a politician and so we all know he wont be.

As for his replacement, from what little I have read he deliberately bent the rules by making two entirely inconsistent statements to the tax man and parliament.

The truth is there is a dark stinking corruption at the heart of the British political establishment where these bastards think they are entitled to these "perks" and so they do not really see them as breaking the rules.

Edited by Steve Cook

This coalition is not going to last is it.

Problem for the Tories is that it is in their long term electoral interests to tar the Liberal Democrats as the chief instigators of cuts and tax rises over the next 12 months. If the Telegraph keep trashing the candidates then Clegg is probably going to insist a Tory does the job of Chief Secretary of the Treasury. I dont suppose Labour can believe their luck.

I agree with Tecumseh, this is heading towards civil unrest, the Telegraph keep stirring and I wouldn't rule something even more major. (Is that in their interests? Are they trying to engineer that? Cos they're doing a pretty good job so far)

I hope he does now, let the Tory candidate take charge of the painful cuts. If the telegraph can keep this saga going much longer they'll be well on their way to sabotaging preparations for the budget too.

Look, a number of you here (and on other threads) keep talking about imminent "civil unrest". Just what do you mean by the term? Spontaneous work walkouts? Sit-ins in Parliament Square? Abseiling down from the Commons Gallery? Smashing windows here and there in The City? (Surely not killing three bank staff by smoke of arson.)

Seriously, I'd like to know what you think might actually happen.

I hope he does now, let the Tory candidate take charge of the painful cuts. If the telegraph can keep this saga going much longer they'll be well on their way to sabotaging preparations for the budget too.

The Telegraph is potentially playing with fire since any signs the budget is being fudged to protect certain interest groups may not play well with the financial markets.

If it really does all go tits up then all those second home owners will not be realising any Gains and may find what other savings they do possess worthless.

Guest sillybear2

"The Daily Telegraph is running a campaign calling on the Government to protect the savings of small investors and ordinary second-home owners from any rise in CGT. "

That's fundamentally dishonest, they want to protect the unearned capital gain, the 'savings' or equity part of the equation wouldn't be taxed. They're trying to make out this is some kind of crusade against unfair double taxation, which is utter bull$hit, it's actually about ensuring unearned income is taxed on an equal footing to earned income, the element that forms the bed rock of most peoples' savings. 90% of people don't go speculating on second homes, for normal people whatever pathetic amount is earned in interest on cash savings is then taxed at 20% or 40%, the same as earnings.

The housing and banking sectors caused this crisis, and everyone else is paying the cost of that, and will be for many decades, so that makes the special pleading on the part of second home owners, BTL spivs and private equity tax avoiders even more sickening. They have done well over recent years and everyone else is paying the price of that, but they're too pigheaded and greedy to accept that.

Edited by sillybear2

Guest sillybear2

The Telegraph is potentially playing with fire since any signs the budget is being fudged to protect certain interest groups may not play well with the financial markets.

If it really does all go tits up then all those second home owners will not be realising any Gains and may find what other savings they do possess worthless.

Protecting the interests of the top 10% (probably top 2% in £ terms) then sticking the knife into the poor with spending cuts is a recipe for strife, it would be like the poll tax riots mk 2. Once that disaster is unfolding you're into the realm of QE and monetising yet more debt in order for the government to pay its bills, and that would really hurt the true middle class the Telegraph purports to stand up for.

With CGT the right are acting no better than the BA unions, self-interested public sector unions or the spoilt civil servants that go out on to the streets of Athens. All are looking for a free lunch at the expense of everyone else, with absolutely no regard for the wider public interest. There is no balance to be had here, CGT will hurt, public sector cuts will hurt those concerned, and even after all that the deficit will still be running to the tune of £80bn.

If they don't win the argument over this one The City will walk all over the government when it comes to the impending bank levy, because they would know they are disunited and weak.

Edited by sillybear2

Protecting the interests of the top 10% (probably top 2% in £ terms) then sticking the knife into the poor with spending cuts is a recipe for strife, it would be like the poll tax riots mk 2. Once that disaster is unfolding you're into the realm of QE and monetising yet more debt in order for the government to pay its bills, and that would really hurt the true middle class the Telegraph purports to stand up for.

With CGT the right are acting no better than the BA unions, self-interested public sector unions or the spoilt civil servants that go out on to the streets of Athens. All are looking for a free lunch at the expense of everyone else, with absolutely no regard for the wider public interest. There is no balance to be had here, CGT will hurt, public sector cuts will hurt those concerned, and even after all that the deficit will still be running to the tune of £80bn.

If they don't win the argument over this one The City will walk all over the government when it comes to the impending bank levy, because they would know they are disunited and weak.

I agree totally.

If the government bottle this issue then all the other special interest groups on both the left and right will want the same.

This is really not the time to be playing political games, particularly as the outcome is likely to be very unpredictable.

Guest sillybear2

I agree totally.

If the government bottle this issue then all the other special interest groups on both the left and right will want the same.

This is really not the time to be playing political games, particularly as the outcome is likely to be very unpredictable.

You can just write the script for the unions and Labour "The evil Condems are cutting your local hospital/school whilst protecting the capital gains of the rich and imposting VAT rises on the poor!", the cuts will happen regardless of course, and probably the VAT rises, but the government needs the moral authority to see them through and they need to be seen to be "fair".

The Telegraph think they are reflecting the popular mood, they are not.

Edited by sillybear2

Did or did Laws not make a claim for rent for a room at his partner's address? A house, by the way, whose deposit for purchase was provided by Laws.

When the rules were changed outlawing such expenses, did or did not Laws continue to make the claim?

Did Laws fess up himself or was he exposed?

Laws claims privacy was his only motivation. However, Laws is independently wealthy and so could have easily afforded the money himself, thus affording himself complete privacy in this regard. So, why did he not take this rather obvious option if privacy was his primary motivation?

We can only guess as to his real motivation for this corruption. However the most obvious explanation would be that he wanted to provide his lover with a house and that he used the expenses system to fund the mortgage indirectly.

His sexuality is irrelevant

His competence in his job is irrelevant

Whether or not he may be a lovely guy in real life and buys his mum flowers every Sunday is irrelevant

The fact is he fraudulently claimed money off the taxpayer to fund the purchase of a house by someone with whom he had a direct personal relationship. This is against parliamentary rules and for good reason. He is a liar and a thief and should be prosecuted in a criminal court of law like any other citizen. However, he is a politician and so we all know he wont be.

As for his replacement, from what little I have read he deliberately bent the rules by making two entirely inconsistent statements to the tax man and parliament.

The truth is there is a dark stinking corruption at the heart of the British political establishment where these bastards think they are entitled to these "perks" and so they do not really see them as breaking the rules.

Yes Steve! I'm glad there are people like yourself around here, rather than those who fall over themselves to defend and apologise for these greedy, morally bankrupt ****s.