House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Uttley

Mobile Phones Responsible For Disappearance Of Honey Bee

Amazing, if it's true. The decline in the bee population has been worrying.

I've heard that one before, and I've heard it rubbished. Can't say whether there's anything in it.

One datapoint: friends of mine keep bees, and have healthy hives. They're in an area of pretty good signals, but also on the side of a big and steep valley which probably shapes the signal and may make it patchy. Lots of good bee-food around.

I recall reading that hives in cities (there are some) were less effected than usual yet there are more mobile phone masts and phones there.

Correlation does not imply causation:

FSM_Pirates.png

I recall reading that hives in cities (there are some) were less effected than usual yet there are more mobile phone masts and phones there.

Correlation does not imply causation:

FSM_Pirates.png

But the number of pirates has been going up recently?

Oh yeah, it still holds :D

some credence to it.

Very little, I'd suggest

microwaves have been previously used to sterilise batches of meditteranean fruit flies to stop them populating.

Citation ?

Microwaves would only have a sterilising effect if they were causing signficant tissue heating. I doubt you could target the reproductive tissue in fruit fly - you'd either cook the whole thing or do nothing. I suppose that if you cook them they're not going to reproduce too well :)

The levels of phone signals are way, way below levels where you'd see any thermal effects, of course.

Sure you aren't thinking of gamma ?

it would also have an effect on their navigation.

Why ?

AFAIK the evidence on insects and some birds using static magnetic fields to navigate is reasonable, but there's no plausible physical mechanism for that to be interfered with by low-level microwave signals.

Just taken 15 kilos of honey off two hives - and if the bees had mobile phones, they'd be getting 5 bars of 3G. Bees are doing roaringly well, just split them into 8 hives as well.

IMO, losses are mainly down to:

- damp hives over winter - bees are fine in cold, but wet kills them stone dead.

- people not understanding varroa, nosema or any of the other parasites.

- people not feeding over winter having pulled 60 kilos of honey off....

Hives in London generally do spectacularly well, and London has mobile masts all over the place.

I think it's more likely to do with the disappearance of red telephone kiosks. Since the introduction of mobile phones, red kiosks have disappeared.

There is a clear correlation between kiosk numbers and bee numbers. Perhaps bees only mated in kiosks.