House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Any Economists Still Predicting Uk Housing Crash

Apart from Moneyweek, are there any UK economists still predicting a UK housing crash?

The daily mail article recently 'are we heading for another housing crash' quoted an economist predicting a 20% drop. Don't know who it was and can't be arsed to find the link on my iPhone.

Us!

We been 100% right, following Schiff/Farber/Rogers.....................

I think we "there" & by Sept/Oct your see BIG time!

Mike

Apart from Moneyweek, are there any UK economists still predicting a UK housing crash?

All the media based UK economists will predict much further houdeprice falls/stagnation for another decade once they have fallen 50%

and the actual market conditions are in the pits, they wont predict it when conditions are good or benign because they get emotional and work on the basis that whatever the conditions are at the moment in time they are writing will remain the conditions for eternity.

I very much doubt it.

The (any) UK government can't afford to let house prices fall because of the devastating effect it would have on most of the bank's balance sheets....and we all know what happens to the economy when banks approach melt down. Apart from which, there would be nothing left either to pay the fat bonuses.

Cameron has stated several times that UK aims to be a low interest economy and there are already Treasury murmurings about watering down the CGT increase proposal.

My feeling, sadly, is that there will be stagnating property prices for several years until such time as inflation catches up, when they will then reflect their real worth.

Hope I'm wrong.

outside the UK there are a good few hwo can see it coming.

But are they predicting a crash in UK prices or are they just looking at the US market? I can find no shortage of articles from various economists and commentators saying that US housing will continue to fall... but the UK?

Whatever happened to that Andrwew Oswald - he was bearish on houses for years from about, IIRC, 2003 onwards?

But are they predicting a crash in UK prices or are they just looking at the US market? I can find no shortage of articles from various economists and commentators saying that US housing will continue to fall... but the UK?

Whatever happened to that Andrwew Oswald - he was bearish on houses for years from about, IIRC, 2003 onwards?

which sort of confirms what i said :lol::lol:

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Us!

We been 100% right, following Schiff/Farber/Rogers.....................

I think we "there" & by Sept/Oct your see BIG time!

Mike

Absolutely. I know loads of 'city' people who know very well that a severe correction is all but certain. Sovereign debt and the property cycle overhang are impossible to ignore.

Roger Bootle still is I beleive,John harrison.you won't find many in the maisntream academic economics establishment,but then they'd have to tkae some of the blame and they aint gonna do that are they?

But... but I was reliably informed by a poster here

that Roger Bootle has a track record 100% of getting it wrong ?

Edited by Plan B

i think a better question might be, does anyone know of any professional economist who is (a) not on the payroll of an estate agency, mortgage lender, or similar; and (B) predicting anything other than [at best] flat or falling uk house prices? i'd be really interested to see such a forecast.