House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bill Gates

How High Will The Price Of A Barrel Of Oil Go To?

silly question....the correct answer is nobody knows!

for higher prices:supply problems

refining constraints

Iran/Iraq/Saudi

demand from US/china/india

speculators

for lower prices:investment in refineries

investment in new fields(russia and such)

new technology/re-vamped nuclear industry

consumer slowdown in US

Thats a few to be going on with,the answer really lies in what is most likely on balance and to go with it,but as always,trends can change very quickly so it's a good idea to have a plan B/exit strategy anyway.

I bought oil securites. But then I started thinking that i'm in a lose lose situation. If the price stays low then I won't make much profit. If the oil price goes through the roof then I won't be able to sell it becuase there are major blackouts (obviously looking a few years down the line)

If DrBubb is around... do you think the australian dollar will be ok or at least better than GBP and USD?

this may sound crazy but my bet is for JPY to have a bit of resurgence.

if you are buying now then I think there is good scope for regional growth and currency appreciating,so conversion to sterling in a few years looks a very worthwhile bet.

Where the price spikes to is relativly unimportant compared to the price it stabalises at IMO, I suspect that'll be closer to $50 than $70.

I'm slowly moving out of the pure E&Ps, who's prices I feel are now starting to reflect a medium term oil price of $50'ish, and into the more fully integrated Oilies such as Total as I feel there's probably more share price growth in the refining end of the chain. That said, a bit of takeover activity could boost the E&P sector quite dramatically!