House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Do You Believe In God? Do You Believe In A Religion?

Guest KingCharles1st

1- believe in yourself

2- believe in everyone else

3- see 1

Just want to see how religious HPCers are.

certainly do believe in god,but I'm not entirely sure that our organised priesthoods have been completely candid with us.

we know there were lots of books omitted from the bible,so why the need to sanitise it for public consumption?

there IS an esoteric way to understand what's going on,and there certainly IS good and evil in this world.

but the nature of good and evil is much more aligned to those who understand the motions of the planets and how it affects human psyche.

The strangest part is where we get all of the organised priesthoods squabbling about who's interpretation is right.

the masons have had a rather bad press,but if you look at some of the quite clearly masonic works like tolkein's lord of the rings,they are actually based on the bible!

...so they certainly do believe in god too.

They often refer to themselves as "son's of light"......but did you realise the other side are called the "sons of belial?".Belial is mentioned in the OT as god's pet hate.

These guys are both spoken of in the dead sea war scrolls,and their battle goes back a very very long way...back to egypt and beyond.

frank herbert's DUNE is another example....the film is quite good too.

it's based upon ezekiel 38-39!.

ie our royal family get posted to arakis(USA),And then,shortly afterwards are attacked by russia,china and middle eastern terrorist squads.(BTW this process has already started....the US when it merges with canada....and those of us who go across the pond,will become a british governed province)

...the people left in UK will go under german control.....if the US doesn't step in to pick us up(which they will,winston churchill made references to this)

there are some discrepancies between the old and new testaments

Just want to see how religious HPCers are.

My membership of HPC is closely linked with my religious beliefs. I am a Christian but a heretic - I believe that once the church organised itself with creeds and a heirarchy it lost its original vision. Christianity is rooted in Judaism which is rooted in a search for empowerment: the story of a small tribe of slaves and how they established themselves and then 'lost the plot'. The tribe recognised that it's success relied upon the ability of the tribe to surrender their own personal interests in favour of the interests of the community without fear of exploitation. (The story goes that the first thing that Moses did when he liberated a nation of slaves was to give them a holy law - they were to be distinguished by their righteousness and justice). It also has to be recognised that this tribe envisioned itself as the children of an unseen deity who was the origin and patron of this vision of life - he was essentially their judge, their leader and their protector. The picture gets distorted (IMO) in the hands of the VI power mongers - the priest hood (possibly in cohorts with the monarchy), but essentially if you read the text critically it is an uplifting and purifying blueprint of how to live in community happily. I see Jesus as the author of a new covenant and a new tribe where this prime commitment to righteousness and justice was renewed; all the religious accretions were stripped away. This tribe was supposed to be distinguished by the highest moral and social values - the greatest was to serve the lowest and all were to be welcomed. (There is more to it than this but this is the outward working of an inner transformation).

I would argue that slavery and freedom and their relationship to ownership of the earth are core themes of the Bible. I do tend to take the view that this world is more important than the next. I think that a materialistic religious organisation had a vested interest in promoting focus on the after life and threats of the fires of hell. I tend to the view of eternal life and eternal hell as a present reality.

Oh yes, and on a slightly lighter note, Jesus had loads to say about landlords and tenants. To be honest I wish I was convinced of a firey hell for all of the greedy, selfish landlords. I do believe in divine judgement I just doubt that it is as simple as people often make out. As we grow up we find that life is not black and white, just many shades of grey.

God is one of the dumbest ideas going and just used to control people via religion.

Why believe something there is no evidence for? It's really that simple. The notion of a creator is ridiculous as is the theory of "intelligent design".

Show me proof and I'll believe it, just like anything else in life. Not sure why "the big questions" is such a massive exception to the rule for some people.

God is one of the dumbest ideas going and just used to control people via religion.

Why believe something there is no evidence for? It's really that simple. The notion of a creator is ridiculous as is the theory of "intelligent design".

Show me proof and I'll believe it, just like anything else in life. Not sure why "the big questions" is such a massive exception to the rule for some people.

Not as dumb as believing that a book written by men hundreds of years ago is the word of God, and living your whole life according to this book.

Show me a way of disinguishing religion from obvious made-up claptrap (or a reason why one religion is more likely to be true than another) and then I might stop looking down on it with scorn. If god is such a fundamental part of the universe then evidence of his presence should be blindingly obvious.

I attend a place of worship regularly, about once or twice a year.

Is that regular enough?

Not if you only go for the occasional wedding, christening etc. If you go there for the sole purpose of worshipping your creator, then yes.

I dont believe in god. I am a scientist and have not seen any remotely convincing evidence. I do know religious scientists but it still requires a leap for whatever reason. I am comfortable that there is no evidence that death is the 'end' and have no need or desire to take a leap of faith to make my life 'better'.

Incidentally... what is to 'believe in a religion'? Do you mean believe in the merit? The message? The value? That they have done net good?

Guest KingCharles1st

I dont believe in god. I am a scientist and have not seen any remotely convincing evidence. I do know religious scientists but it still requires a leap for whatever reason. I am comfortable that there is no evidence that death is the 'end' and have no need or desire to take a leap of faith to make my life 'better'.

Incidentally... what is to 'believe in a religion'? Do you mean believe in the merit? The message? The value? That they have done net good?

I would agree - up to a point.

The sticking point for me is "consciousness."

We and other living things think, and feel, and to some extent can control our existences. THis is pretty wierd considering that when one slices up a dead brain- there is nothing actually there... I have my own pet theory on this subject. And btw, if one had been told in the year 1000 that the world wasnt flat etc- it would have taken an enormous leap of (wait for it) FAITH, to believe the messenger.

To believe it to be factually correct or very close to the absolute truth.

I would agree - up to a point.

The sticking point for me is "consciousness."

We and other living things think, and feel, and to some extent can control our existences. THis is pretty wierd considering that when one slices up a dead brain- there is nothing actually there... I have my own pet theory on this subject. And btw, if one had been told in the year 1000 that the world wasnt flat etc- it would have taken an enormous leap of (wait for it) FAITH, to believe the messenger.

What if we could make a computer conscious?

And btw, if one had been told in the year 1000 that the world wasnt flat etc- it would have taken an enormous leap of (wait for it) FAITH, to believe the messenger.

But why would one have that faith? Is the messenger a known source of wisdom with a track record to match? Is the messenger without any underlying ability, knowledge or similar? To follow the first is to have faith in the ability of humanity. To follow the second is quite the opposite. Since my world is the world of men and behaves as such, I am confident trust the knowledge of mankind. I see no point in making an unjustified assumption that nothing is as it seems and that god is the reason.

To believe it to be factually correct or very close to the absolute truth.

Isn't this a bad question? The athiests and doubters will be forced to point out that for the 'yes' crowd needs to be subdivided.... and each one of those divisions stands in direct contradiction to the others...

I worship the sun. It's big and hot and in the sky and it's more or less the source of all life on the planet. Ticks pretty much all the boxes for what I want out of a religion.

Isn't this a bad question? The athiests and doubters will be forced to point out that for the 'yes' crowd needs to be subdivided.... and each one of those divisions stands in direct contradiction to the others...

Hence the absurdity of religion.

I can't understand how anyone can truly believe in a religion these days in their current form. Religions are from from the past, our society has advanced so much in the last 150 years- you might have had one person who only read 1 book a year if they were lucky, now we hall have access all the information we can handle - how can people square with the real world

I mean I am not against the philosphy and ideas behind religions - and we all need something to believe in to make our lives mean something - rather than just existing - we all capable of being spirtual - so maybe there is some form of higher being or god looking down on us. Are religions not just attempt to make out lives have some meaning - 200 years ago if you worked on a farm and spent most of your time in a local village - then people needed the religion to believe that there had meaning, and was not just an endless grind until death.

I don't believe anyone truly believes in any religion - and i'd say that for people who are in the church. Priest and Vicars, just under the skin are people who think the same as you and me.

Guest KingCharles1st

I worship the sun. It's big and hot and in the sky and it's more or less the source of all life on the planet. Ticks pretty much all the boxes for what I want out of a religion.

I agree 100% that's me all over.

However- consciousness doesn't come form the Sun...

That's okay, I'm happy for consciousness not to have any religious origin. :)

I agree 100% that's me all over.

What gave consciousness to whatever you believe gave you consciousness?