House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

If any of you know anything about Skype, can you tell me would I be able to use it to talk to someone in the UK (I'm in Ireland). We are both using broadband sticks for Internet. My connection is very slow due to location (less than 400kbps), but if I take it a mile down the road, I can get over 3mbps. Her connection in UK is fine. I want to know, can we talk to each other , using laptops, and if so, what will this cost? Neither have webcams, just want to have phone calls. I don't have landline, and phone call costs of ringing on mobiles are crazy. I looked at the Skype website, but it's not much help. In short, do I have to pay a subscription each month for Skype, or is their talk of free phone calls actually true?

If any of you know anything about Skype, can you tell me would I be able to use it to talk to someone in the UK (I'm in Ireland). We are both using broadband sticks for Internet. My connection is very slow due to location (less than 400kbps), but if I take it a mile down the road, I can get over 3mbps. Her connection in UK is fine. I want to know, can we talk to each other , using laptops, and if so, what will this cost? Neither have webcams, just want to have phone calls. I don't have landline, and phone call costs of ringing on mobiles are crazy. I looked at the Skype website, but it's not much help. In short, do I have to pay a subscription each month for Skype, or is their talk of free phone calls actually true?

It is actually true - it is free Skype to Skype. Also, I made a call from Malaysia to a UK landline for a few pence for 15 minutes. You just have to install it and try it. You need a mic as well as speakers, the Skype application helps you test those.

I'm not sure if any of the mobile broadband suppliers limit this traffic, but I don't think they do.

Good luck.

Skype is a VOIP provider, distinguished chiefly by having got its marketing right, and with the advantage of name recognition but the drawback of a crap protocol so inefficient that a handset left on standby with skype active (so you can take incoming calls) gets hot to the touch! So you only want to activate it for outgoing calls or pre-arranged incoming ones.

Many of us use VOIP regularly, and have done for years. That can be either skype or the open SIP protocol. SIP is supported by many providers, though none of them has such a great marketing effort (and hence mindshare) as skype.

VOIP-to-VOIP is indeed free. But not only that: it's also much cheaper than BT, let alone the mobile operators, for normal calls. I have typically two hours a week of intercontinental calls to regular landline numbers, which are not free with VOIP but still a lot cheaper than BT.

Bottom line: VOIP is definitely worth it. Skype is one of many VOIP providers: take your pick.

I think that 400kbps should be adequate for non video Skype.

We use Skype all the time for telephone calls to UK when we are in Europe.

You need to register with them and all calls to other Skype users are free, but they need to be online for you to call them.

You can buy "Skype Out" credit, this allows you to call landlines and mobiles. Landlines calls are really cheap, the cost is based on the distance between the local skype centre and the number called, so a call to a landline in Sydney Australia may only cost a few pence a minute.

so a call to a landline in Sydney Australia may only cost a few pence a minute.

Isn't it still €0.012 (1.2 Euro cents) per minute to landlines pretty-much anywhere in the developed world? Where you're calling *from* is always immaterial.

[edit] Oops, forgot, you have to add VAT to that, and the rate is a little higher than UK VAT. And this may be out of date anyway.

Isn't it still €0.012 (1.2 Euro cents) per minute to landlines pretty-much anywhere in the developed world? Where you're calling *from* is always immaterial.

[edit] Oops, forgot, you have to add VAT to that, and the rate is a little higher than UK VAT. And this may be out of date anyway.

I think it's the cost of a local call from the skyps centre local to the number you're calling, so it can vary depending on the cost of a local call in the country you're calling. We have noticed that Skype calls are getting a bit more expensive than they were a couple of years ago but they're still dirt cheap. Calls cost pence rather than pounds.

Not interested in calling land lines from computer. Interested in voice calls from computer to computer, at pre arranged times. Nothing needs to be 'left on' as it were.

Not interested in calling land lines from computer. Interested in voice calls from computer to computer, at pre arranged times. Nothing needs to be 'left on' as it were.

Then you are laughing....

On the current job I'm doing the whole company uses skype. It's very effective as a comms tool for a geographically dispersed team. Not just for phone calls, but for the ICQ style chat facility that enables you to see who's online, and it's easy to ping off a quick question.

The other tool we use are google docs (project spreadsheets and gmails etc) - which also make it relatively easy for folk to see what the state of play is, as if you change a part of a project to 'assigned' or 'completed' then everyone can see the change instantly. So much better than screwing around with excel spreadsheets etc. on a corporate network.

That sort of connectivity between Ireland and the UK is a boon, as you're also in the same timezone.

On the current job I'm doing the whole company uses skype. It's very effective as a comms tool for a geographically dispersed team. Not just for phone calls, but for the ICQ style chat facility that enables you to see who's online, and it's easy to ping off a quick question.

The other tool we use are google docs (project spreadsheets and gmails etc) - which also make it relatively easy for folk to see what the state of play is, as if you change a part of a project to 'assigned' or 'completed' then everyone can see the change instantly. So much better than screwing around with excel spreadsheets etc. on a corporate network.

That sort of connectivity between Ireland and the UK is a boon, as you're also in the same timezone.

I use this extensively with overseas clients. Firstly, it allows consideration of replies, something that isn't always possible in a phone call.

The best bit is that the chat can be cut and pasted in the record and no further notes are required.

p-o-p

Cork boy?

In short, do I have to pay a subscription each month for Skype, or is their talk of free phone calls actually true?

Skype to skype calls are free and do not require any form of subscription.

A subscription is required if you want to make calls to landlines or receive calls from landlines. (A word of caution on this, if you prepay your account, and don't use the credit within a couple of months, your credit void without a refund)

There are a couple of issues that might be relevant with wireless 3G sticks:

1. 3G sticks add a substantial delay to your data - so it may take 2-3 seconds for your voice to get to the other party, and another 2-3 seconds for the reply to get back to you - so you get the impression that the line might have gone dead when you stop speaking.

2. Skype calls generate a modest amount of data (about 1 MB for 2 minutes) and depending on your wireless broadband contract, there may be charges payable on the data transfer.

But you know what a langer is?

After being here for all but 2 of the last 20 years, yes. Are you saying that I'm one?

After being here for all but 2 of the last 20 years, yes. Are you saying that I'm one?

No, no. It's just a great catch-all word, isn't it?

Noun - He's a right langer.

Adjective - It's a langer of a thing.

State - I was langeresed last night boy.

Skype is a VOIP provider, distinguished chiefly by having got its marketing right, and with the advantage of name recognition but the drawback of a crap protocol so inefficient that a handset left on standby with skype active (so you can take incoming calls) gets hot to the touch! So you only want to activate it for outgoing calls or pre-arranged incoming ones.

Many of us use VOIP regularly, and have done for years. That can be either skype or the open SIP protocol. SIP is supported by many providers, though none of them has such a great marketing effort (and hence mindshare) as skype.

VOIP-to-VOIP is indeed free. But not only that: it's also much cheaper than BT, let alone the mobile operators, for normal calls. I have typically two hours a week of intercontinental calls to regular landline numbers, which are not free with VOIP but still a lot cheaper than BT.

Bottom line: VOIP is definitely worth it. Skype is one of many VOIP providers: take your pick.

Interesting porca, can you tell us more about the alternatives? Software, service providers etc?

Interesting porca, can you tell us more about the alternatives? Software, service providers etc?

Well, I use ekiga software for live calls. They can also provide a free address for voip-to-voip. I've heard very good reports of some of the alternatives, too.

An alternative if you want a phone number that can be called from an old-fashioned phone is to go to a provider like gradwell, who can supply you a number and/or a hardware VOIP phone. I'll consider that for myself if I'm ever in a position to abandon a BT or equivalent landline.

Well, I'm convinced. Thanks you lot. Downloaded Skype, bought a cheapie headset, and 10 euro of credit. Phoned four people in the UK this afternoon, on their land lines, and had a good chat with each. Total cost for the 4 calls was 26 cents. Brilliant.

That's not been my experience with a cheapy panasonic handset, and I leave it on pretty much 24 hours a day (Got relatives all over the place)

I would happily pay a monthly subscription for improved reliability with video calls, drop outs and getting stuck on freeze frames seems to happen an awful lot more than I'd like.

That said Skype is pretty amazing tho, I'm no techie so it stills feel a bit space aged making free video calls to the other side of the planet; has helped me overcome home sickness pangs when on business trips and missing my daughter too. Would find it hard to live without it now.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription for improved reliability with video calls, drop outs and getting stuck on freeze frames seems to happen an awful lot more than I'd like.

I've found it pretty unreliable trying to hold conversations with my partner in California. Video has a habit of freezing and dropping; voice is usually OK but there can be quite a significant time lag between saying something and the other end hearing it. I've got a Talk Talk inclusive home phone/ADSL package for £24/month that includes unlimited calls to landlines in about 30 countries, the US included. We both prefer the phone to Skype, either with or without video; the audio quality is better, and transmission is virtually instantaneous. That having been said, her home Internet connection is a bit ropey which might be part of the reason Skype doesn't work very well for us.

I've found Skype OK on the computer, but the iPhone app is just ace

I get better quality than using the cordless phones in the house. It's just like using the iPhone in phone mode :)