House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

How Has Hpc.co.uk Helped You?

I'm probably covering old ground on here, but I initially felt (some years ago) that I was a lone voice amongst my peer group that the massive housing bubble was just that. These thoughts of mine (before I found this site) came to fruition when I saw crappy little 2 bed starter homes rising from £35k in 1997 to £100k (and up to £120k at peak) - and I thought that this is just not right, and is clearly unsustainable. This site (I hope) has certainly helped me discover reasons behind the bubble, and has sort of "emotionally" prepared me for the next leg down, whereas the vast majority of the population see things as business as usual, and are in no way prepared for it.

For instance, a couple of friends have recently bought flats/houses (last couple of years) and I tried to put them off, warning what could well happen next - but they still bought, and ignored my advice. Their decision. They are happy that they are on low-rate 3 or 5 year fixed term deals, and I asked them what will they do when the fixed term deals runs out - well, we'll come to that bridge when we come to it.. FFS...

I also enjoy the debate on here, and it has certainly opening my eyes on certain areas & topics. There's a few right-wing nuts on here, but that's par for the course.. :)

Edited by zagreb78

I'm probably covering old ground on here, but I initially felt (some years ago) that I was a lone voice amongst my peer group that the massive housing bubble was just that. These thoughts of mine (before I found this site) came to fruition when I saw crappy little 2 bed starter homes rising from £35k in 1997 to £100k (and up to £120k at peak) - and I thought that this is just not right, and is clearly unsustainable. This site (I hope) has certainly helped me discover reasons behind the bubble, and has sort of "emotionally" prepared me for the next leg down, whereas the vast majority of the population see things as business as usual, and are in no way prepared for it.

For instance, a couple of friends have recently bought flats/houses (last couple of years) and I tried to put them off, warning what could well happen next - but they still bought, and ignored my advice. Their decision. They are happy that they are on low-rate 3 or 5 year fixed term deals, and I asked them what will they do when the fixed term deals runs out - well, we'll come to that bridge when we come to it.. FFS...

I also enjoy the debate on here, and it has certainly opening my eyes on certain areas & topics. There's a few right-wing nuts on here, but that's par for the course.. :)

All credit to the, now sadly retired, original Webmaster, who's brainchild this site was.

WM, hope all is well with you and yours, if you're reading this :).

Your OWN life...

And let people make their own mistakes. It is the best way to learn.

I don't bother trying to talk people out of buying anymore. I've had a couple of aquaintences buy other the last couple of years, I tried to explain the blatant economic reasons for not but people just don't want to know or put on the effort of trying to understand.

Before I found this site I was certainly the only person I knew with HPC opinions. I had several years of lonely solitude and found this site just at the right time as I gave up hope and tried to buy (low offer wasn't accepted thank god) now I visit here everyday for economic/market news and intelligent discussion.

I was actually looking for the Honda Owners Club - and a silly typo caused me to waste a huge amount of my life.

I was just looking for a cheap mouse, but a typo led me to kindred spirits.

Your OWN life...

And let people make their own mistakes. It is the best way to learn.

Catching the train to Brighton....will that turn out to be a mistake?....add it to the list. ;)

Hi,

Yes I've been renting since 2007 thanks to this site, however an opportunity to put in an offer on a lovely house in our area has come up....thinking about it <_< The previous owner has passed away with no family / will other than charity. We're thinking of putting in a cheky one. The house is up for 150, would be worth around 180 but needs about 15-250000 spending on it so we were thinking of offerring £130000 initially. Am I crazy? This site has me thinking!

Hi,

Yes I've been renting since 2007 thanks to this site, however an opportunity to put in an offer on a lovely house in our area has come up....thinking about it <_< The previous owner has passed away with no family / will other than charity. We're thinking of putting in a cheky one. The house is up for 150, would be worth around 180 but needs about 15-250000 spending on it so we were thinking of offerring £130000 initially. Am I crazy? This site has me thinking!

offer 350K, you dont want to get gazumped

Hi,

Yes, all about timing and getting a low offer accepted.

We STRed in Q3 2007 and bought in Q3 2009. In terms of crash it was perfect timing and of course things have now bounced at least 10% since then. Of course the key question is whether prices will stay where they are or fall again.

Amen brother.

it was a lonely few years from the millenium-when I first thoguht hosue prices were out of kilter-to when I found this site.and boy has it been a learning curve since.thought I knew a bit till I saw the quality of soem of the psoters here.

this site introduced me to mish shedlock,steve keen,zero hedge,karl denninger etc etc for which I'm eternally grateful

I remember having conversations during those early years,and you were viewed as a a heretic for even believing hosue prices could drop.they were mad mad,frustrating days.I tried unsuccessfully on the whole to stop my friends/family making horrendous financial errors with regard to property,and even now,I jsut sit here feeling bad about the day they finally wake up and realsie the gravity of their stupidity.

I'm more at ease about it all now.More fatalistic about letting the market play through.It's still sad though when friends lose their jobs and realsie they have no plan B,they're in neg equity and there are bugger all jobs about.

dread to think of the pain rising mortgage will cause.

Hold on - why has my name been attributed to someone elses quote !